Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 11:37 AM

288 posts, read 717,148 times

Advertisements

For so many years I've been setting goals and not achieving them. Again, I plan to make this year different.

However, I have SO MANY goals that I want to achieve that I am perpetually stuck trying to list them, refine them, word them perfectly, etc. I guess I should focus on one thing at a time but I doubt sometimes whether the goal is something I really want. It's tough to get into a mindset to KNOW that it is what I want.

There are some exceptions. I want a girlfriend and to experience all of the physical intimacies, as well as the close friendship of being with someone. I crave it behind my ability to put words to it. I can't force a woman to want me so it's the most difficult of all goals. I am 40 and have not found one yet (please don't lecture on ways to do this as I know all of them). I am just saying that I am DEFINITELY interested in being with her. I miss intimacy and sex even though I haven't had it yet. I only had perhaps one (crappy) blind date per year from online dating. I am in good shape from running and gym work but I am short 5'5". Women DO NOT like or pursue short guys (yes, I know there are exceptions but they are few). I plan to get out more in the real world to increase the # of opportunities to the maximum extent possible.

Anyway, I am digressing (I dislike the term 'I digress' as that would be like 'I sneeze' instead of saying 'I sneezed').

Does everyone here LIST all of their goals in life?
How do you refine them so that you can accomplish them?

I try stepwise refinement but things get muddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 08:13 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I am at a point in my life, that I would rather be alone than with the wrong person. I am not interested in dating any longer. Having friends, yes. Romance? Not a goal.

This year I want to be healthy. I have excess weight, that needs to go for health reasons. Plus, I work in a medical field, and feel rather hypocritical about discussing someone's obesity, when I myself have those issues. It lacks credibility.

I also want to be a better person. Maybe start doing more volunteer work. I have been blessed, and have a good job, a place to live. Many don't have those things, maybe I should help others less fortunate.

Work goals, extremely ambitious, as always. I am going to be so productive and driven this year, it is going to blow everyone away.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:54 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
I can certainly understand the stuck feeling. I had an ex friend steal from me in a business deal, its left me in a mess that is far from over. So I'm hoping to recover from that. My fiancee will be here next year and I hope we can move forward with our plans to relocate.

I agree with Jasper about relationships. Being the right person is wonderful, being with the wrong one can be worse than being alone. The more two people have in common, the more their goals and wants in life are the same the better the chance of them having a solid and happy long term marriage.

As far as your goals, AutumnTraveler, I would break down your list and focus on fewer short and long term goals. You might write them all down and then rate them by priority. You have a positive can do attitude and I bet you will see real progress on all fronts this next year.

I wish you both great success in the coming year.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:11 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
I'm hoping to finally get ahead (or where I should have been 5 years ago) in my career. I have a shot at a huge job, but I'm afraid to get too excited about it, as I don't know how much competition I have. I also hope to meet my future wife in 2012 and start moving forward on my dream of having a family. Thats a lot to have happen, but I've nothing good happen in 3 years, so long overdue.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:11 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
To get moved out of CA and never have to go back to it.
Seems this state has been nothing but a bad influence on my mind, body and soul.
Once that goal's complete, everything else I want will slowly fall into place.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I think moving is a good goal. Sometimes we get to a place where it is bad Karma, or negative Fung Shei. Best wishes on getting out of your personal cesspool.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:46 PM

663 posts, read 1,081,835 times
Saving more money. Also want to learn a couple things I have always been interested in doing; less focus on just going to work, coming home. Think it would help with my level of stress related to work.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:12 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,193 times
I want to remain "able" to do the physical things around my property...that will be my yearly goal till I die. And I want to always act young and think young because I do believe in the power of our cognitions.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:27 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I think moving is a good goal. Sometimes we get to a place where it is bad Karma, or negative Fung Shei. Best wishes on getting out of your personal cesspool.
With this comes another series of "job-hops" I've been warned about, but that's alright.
Driving a truck in a limited geographical area, working $8-$9/hr security again, whatever it takes to make sure I stay put.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:53 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I am mulling over the idea of one last shot at dating again. I'd have to use an online site and therefore lay out some money, so I've got to think long and hard about this.

I also would rather be alone than be with the wrong person, but there's something in me that says that there HAS to be someone out there. Idiotic, perhaps. Yesterday was a holiday and I spent some time with family, and I always come home with this sense of shame that everyone else has someone and I don't. Not a good reason to want a relationship, but the shamefulness of no one wanting you doesn't melt away that easily.

It would be easier if I could just SAY it's that I would rather be alone, but I'm pretty sure everyone realizes that I haven't been given the choice in the first place.

Other than that, I want to (and have already started this) be more disciplined with my writing and actually finish the novel I've been working on.

Already quit smoking (two weeks today!) and started losing weight some months ago, although I did some damage to that effort over the past couple of days. Will get back on track starting with a good walk in a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health