Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:15 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times

Advertisements

I work in the medical community and not every job is for everyone. Not that this applies to you, but there's many people running out and becoming nurses because 'it pays well,' well guess what they quickly find out what's required of the average nurse and it's a calling not a job to sit and just line your pockets. I worked with special needs people in one job and did activities with them, in this current job I do paperwork. I am not comfortable changing diapers, seeing them naked nor touching people period, so why do it? There are other careers in the medical field that don't require physical contact with people, find one of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 12:16 AM

24 posts, read 40,565 times
I understand what you are saying. Care-taking is not easy, especially at first. I remember years ago being in a similar situation of care-taking. You want me to clean what? So we actually have to touch others "private parts"? Being young you have been sheltered from this. I had a husband and a kid at the time and still didn't quite feel comfortable with it. Having someone experienced train you will help. Its also helpful to remember that they need your help, and you wanted to give this new opportunity a go. Remember some of our older generations are extremely modest, the last thing they ever wanted was to be in the position they were in. It takes time, compassion is key. Modest now, may one day need care. Care-taking is a rewarding experience. Its not easy for anyone at first. If it is truly not you, then find another job. Future sex life problems? Don't imagine so, although some foods may make you queezy until you get used to the smell. Also, respect their privacy, as you to regard this (unique trait with healthcare personnel), use full blankets and expose only what needs cleaning at a time. Also explain everything you do to help make you and the client more comfortable. OK so here is the joke: having all those feelings at first with just cleaning, you may graduate to manually dis-impact fecal matter....that's somewhere one never wanted to, or wished to go. Suspecting the client in need felt the same way. It's like anything new, it takes time practice and understanding to become completely comfortable.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:34 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
I worked on a Psychiatric Ward doing things nurses would not do.
Unless you NEED this job for financial reasons, bow out now.
Either your employer did not inform you fully about your job, or they did and you took the job anyway.
These people need help from caretakers that will not judge them, feel skirmish, and are mature enough to handle the nudity, cleaning, changing, shaving, bathing etc...

Yes, it is a very emotional environment. I think anything relating to Health careers is.
Whether your working in the front office, handling paperwork, speaking to patients over the phone, operating on them, helping them from the bed to the toilet, cleaning their teeth..
It is all emotional. Maybe this is not for you, right now.

Be honest with yourself and your employer.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:57 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Unless you NEED this job for financial reasons, bow out now.
Actually, you need to quit immediately, if you are only working there because you "need" the job.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:27 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
The summer I graduated high school I took a job at a nursing home. Originally I was hired to work the overnight shift, and I enjoyed it. A couple of times each night I would make the rounds with a nurse, changing diapers and sheets as necessary, but it wasn't terrible, and we mostly had to deal with urine.

Within two weeks they changed me to the day shift. Without any training at all beyond following an aide around for a day, I was now expected to lift, bathe, clean and feed dementia patients, who could do little to help the process. I was 17, and about 100 lbs. It wasn't safe for me or the patients. On my 2nd day shift, I was told to give an enema to a 95 yr old man. Verbal instructions only, no training. I couldn't do it, and quit.

I'd like to think there is much more training and education required of aides these days. I have tremendous respect for those who have the heart and compassion for that jo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health