Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 08:41 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give an example of a "manic/bipolar" person they knew who , could normally be highly functional and brilliant, but then have certain delusions of grandeur, ideas of success?

I ran across this recently and am just wondering....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 07:51 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,193 times
A person who is creative but on an episode of mania, decided she would buy a hair salon after seeing a for sale sign in the window while driving by. This person had absolute NO training as a stylist or as a business owner. The business ended up quickly going under and she still continues to pay monthly for the loan she took out to buy the business.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:03 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Many very talented artists are bipolar (or as they used to call it -"manic/depressive"). In Hollywood, we know there are many actors (and a few producers/directors) who deal with the disorder. There are also musicians, writers, and artists . . .

Here's a link to 10 famous folks with BP disorder:

10 Famous People With Bipolar Disorder - Bipolar Disorder Center - Everyday Health

Here are some others who were successful but have had episodes of public manic behavior.

Jim Carey
Ted Turner
Jimi Hendrix
Marilyn Monroe
Patty Duke
Mel Gibson

Many times, we do not know a lot of details unless there has been a public display of dysfunction - and most of the people on these lists have had at least some type of incident that made the world aware that they had mental health issues. Several have been quite open about their struggle w/ stabilizing their ups and downs.

On a personal note, one of my relatives who is bipolar is going on 60 - and continues to take trips to research the grand novel she has been supposedly writing since her 20s. She has these flights of grandiose thinking and convinces herself that the big bucks she is spending is all to reach her goal of "finishing" her mega historical novel. She may buy a first class ticket and book a hotel for weeks in Europe . . . all in the name of "research." When she comes down, it isn't pretty. She retreats behind closed doors and self-medicates.

I should mention - she isn't a writer by profession; never has been.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
A person who is creative but on an episode of mania, decided she would buy a hair salon after seeing a for sale sign in the window while driving by. This person had absolute NO training as a stylist or as a business owner. The business ended up quickly going under and she still continues to pay monthly for the loan she took out to buy the business.
Thanks, yes this type beavior but if the person has...a backround in business...I think they still get over their heads, not necesssarily gambling but risk-taking.

Its a tough call bcs the person is normal and intelligent but then has diatribes...and will go off into a rage.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Many very talented artists are bipolar (or as they used to call it -"manic/depressive"). In Hollywood, we know there are many actors (and a few producers/directors) who deal with the disorder. There are also musicians, writers, and artists . . .

Here's a link to 10 famous folks with BP disorder:

10 Famous People With Bipolar Disorder - Bipolar Disorder Center - Everyday Health

Here are some others who were successful but have had episodes of public manic behavior.

Jim Carey
Ted Turner
Jimi Hendrix
Marilyn Monroe
Patty Duke
Mel Gibson

Many times, we do not know a lot of details unless there has been a public display of dysfunction - and most of the people on these lists have had at least some type of incident that made the world aware that they had mental health issues. Several have been quite open about their struggle w/ stabilizing their ups and downs.

On a personal note, one of my relatives who is bipolar is going on 60 - and continues to take trips to research the grand novel she has been supposedly writing since her 20s. She has these flights of grandiose thinking and convinces herself that the big bucks she is spending is all to reach her goal of "finishing" her mega historical novel. She may buy a first class ticket and book a hotel for weeks in Europe . . . all in the name of "research." When she comes down, it isn't pretty. She retreats behind closed doors and self-medicates.

I should mention - she isn't a writer by profession; never has been.
Your last paragraph explains alot, thanks...
He owns a few radio stations, but constantly loses money, and then when talking about what should be a business marketing issue, will start talking about what Jesus would have wanted.... I tried to make sense of it at first....Its a shame some people like this refuse to use medication....

Old 02-10-2012, 11:55 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
All of these "illnesses" are simply made up. People are unique - a label is simply that and does the full person a disservice, from my point-of-view. If a person is destructive to themselves or others, THEN a label CAN BE helpful, but it will still NEVER describe a human being and what goes on in someone's soul or spirit.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,737 times
Yes, I hate labels, I find them very unhelpful.

But I guess the line is - when someone gets into legal, financial, interpersonal trouble because of their behavior.

But if you go to any successful place, all kinds of people show flares of mania and OCD and mood swings. And they might even be getting into trouble too, maybe alongside their successes.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:39 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Can anyone give an example of a "manic/bipolar" person they knew who , could normally be highly functional and brilliant, but then have certain delusions of grandeur, ideas of success?

I ran across this recently and am just wondering....
Bipolar D/O can be difficult to diagnosis given personality and life style situations.

If you think about this illness like the waves in the ocean, there are the gentle rolling waves.
They are the "hypomanic" euphoric states that some people experience. Very pleasant, creative, energetic, the ideas are flowing and things get done. Some very successful people enjoy this life style and function well.

Then there are the more crested waves, the "white cap waves".
A little more energetic, maybe somewhat irritable, loss of significant sleep, a little bit of judgement impairment, some impulse control issues.

The Tsunami.
A full blown manic episode, "break with reality". Delusions, hallucinations, inability to function.

The medications that provide any relief to these symptoms have lousy side effects, lethargy, weight gain, thought blocking, to mention a few.

It's no wonder people are reluctant to take them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health