Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 04:28 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,917 times

Advertisements

nineteenseventy3,

Your awareness about your meanness is a good first step. It shows that your intelligence about the situation is breaking through and forcing you to confront this type of behavior.

As your awareness and intelligence develop, you will realize that there is less and less of a need to be mean. Meanness is about winning and being in control, while being the opposite is about being compassionate and loving towards others. When your intelligent self replaces the meanness you will see that there is no further need to win or to be controlling.... everything else will fall in place.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I can understand why you might think that but I have to disagree.

Some folks who come to these online forums and spend time in chatrooms are confined to their homes for some reason or another. Whether it be a physical or emotinal handicap.

These online forums are their only form of social interaction. Think of the effects that negative interaction would have on someone in that situation.
It could be devastating.

No matter where we are, we should always be mindful of how our words might affect one another.

You never know if the person you are talking to is one step away from going over the edge.
You're right about that......and I agree with you

Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,339 times
Thread of the year

Old 01-20-2012, 11:36 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
I learned how to apologize on forums such as these, hehehe.

I am more careful now. I have had to learn patience and I've also had to learn how NOT to respond sometimes.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
I have found myself getting snarly and impatient in the CD forums, and when that happens I cut way back for a while. In fact, overall I am on CD much less than I used to be. I really do think we can burn ourselves out with online arguing.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:33 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Thread of the year
??

Old 01-20-2012, 05:08 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I learned how to apologize on forums such as these, hehehe.

I am more careful now. I have had to learn patience and I've also had to learn how NOT to respond sometimes.

I have learned how to apologize on these forums too and I hold my tongue more often than posting anymore. I quoted you because I've read numerous posts of yours, and while not always agreeing with you I've developed a great deal of respect for you. Enough that I remembered your user name. Just wanted you to know how an anonymous person felt.

Hope the non smoking is going well. I hope to quit in the future too.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:14 PM

30 posts, read 46,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
It's tempting because it's kind of easier, when it seems like there are no repercussions. But the people on the other side of the posts are still real and words can hurt. Some people seem to completely forget that.

On the other hand, others seem to forget that people can only hurt us with their words if we allow them too.

I hope you can find a way to stop being mean online.
Does it seem rational to let what a stranger types offend you?

Do you get offended by what strangers in the street say?

Old 01-21-2012, 07:46 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I have learned how to apologize on these forums too and I hold my tongue more often than posting anymore. I quoted you because I've read numerous posts of yours, and while not always agreeing with you I've developed a great deal of respect for you. Enough that I remembered your user name. Just wanted you to know how an anonymous person felt.

Hope the non smoking is going well. I hope to quit in the future too.
Why, thank you for saying that.

Yes, it will be six weeks on Monday since I last smoked. You have to be ready to quit, and no one else can tell you when that is.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:07 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Well, there are so many "HRC" Help Rejecting Complainers, who have a problem, request help with resolution, then block and reject any reasonable solution. It is difficult not to be mean to someone who says they stepped in a cow pie, and you suggest they lift their foot, they say they can't because their boots are too big, so now it is a new problem. Let them wallow in the cow pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health