Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:15 PM

88,483 posts, read 84,616,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I have trouble with going to medical appoints too.

I think my mother scared me to death about them.

The dentist was used as a threat. If I did not bush my teeth I would have it go to the dentist and it would be painful.

The same thing with the doctors.

If I did not wear a hat or, coat I would have to go to the doctor and they would give me shots.

As an adult, I know these professionals do not want to hurt me.

If I am having a hard time, I just tell the medical staff.

They have always helped me with my fears.
I was wondering if I could mention my anxiety to the people who work there, but then I was afraid they'd laugh at me. I know intellectually that the doctor is not going to yell at or belittle me, but the fear is still there. I actually did have a childhood doctor who was like that (the kind that came to the house and screamed at you and had a black bag full of needles) but I have had nice doctors throughout my life when I did go, so that's not really it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My mother has this issue, I have heard it called white coat syndrome. She dreads going to any doctors and gets herself in panic mode. She's 66. but once she gets there and has been seen by the doctor, then goes home she's fine. They check her blood pressure and it's always higher than normal because of this. She is having catarac surgery Wednesday and I will be with her. She is already obsessing over it. I just let her vent and tell her it will be ok. Her worry is that there will be complications. She takes Xanax on a regular basis anyway for anxiety/panic attacks that she has had all her life. Her Dr thinks she's nuts but I say find a new Dr. There is abolutley nothing wrong with what you are going through however it is important to go to doctors if you get sick or injured. It also helps having someone go with you to the Dr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Is there someone you could get to go with you to the doctor? This could make a big difference. You could offer to do them some favor in return, if you find it awkward to ask.
I don't consciously fear the doctor, yet when I go my blood pressure often reads high, and I don't have high blood pressure at all. It's normal at all other times. Occasionally my husband goes with me, and at those times my blood pressure is always normal, even though he's usually just out in the waiting room. The mind is a funny thing.
I was thinking it would be helpful if I had someone to go to the doctor with. I don't have anyone, really, except my daughter (who LOVES to go to doctors, the weirdo) and I'm embarrassed to ask her. My mother, who is 83, would probably go with me but being 53 and having your mother go with you to the doctor because you are a big chicken is worse than going alone, lolol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 07:54 PM

41,925 posts, read 75,111,210 times
Are there any nurse-managed practices near you? I found nurse practitioners to be ... tolerable, compared to an overbooked MD practice. NPs tend to meet you where you are, instead of where a medical professional thinks you should be.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,112 times
Default anxiety about medical appointments

It might help to simply make an appointment to just interview the doc or Np or PA and see if you like their personality. That way you get more comfortable with the office staff and the provider. Then the next time you make an appointment it can be a real appointment for an illness or whatever. Sort of like establishing a routine or habit. Colonoscopies and mammograms are very important because those are often preventable diseases if caught in time.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 AM

20,923 posts, read 28,374,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was wondering if I could mention my anxiety to the people who work there, but then I was afraid they'd laugh at me. I know intellectually that the doctor is not going to yell at or belittle me, but the fear is still there. I actually did have a childhood doctor who was like that (the kind that came to the house and screamed at you and had a black bag full of needles) but I have had nice doctors throughout my life when I did go, so that's not really it.

I was thinking it would be helpful if I had someone to go to the doctor with. I don't have anyone, really, except my daughter (who LOVES to go to doctors, the weirdo) and I'm embarrassed to ask her. My mother, who is 83, would probably go with me but being 53 and having your mother go with you to the doctor because you are a big chicken is worse than going alone, lolol.
I am 41 and my mom is 66. Don't be embarrassed to ask your daughter to go to the doctor with you. That's what daughters are for. to help take care of their moms. My mom was always afraid to ask for help because she always liked to be independent. I told her if you need help you have to ask. She now asks for help when she needs it. I live 35 min from my mom and I am satying with her for 2 days. She is having catarac surgery Wednesday. I am staying Tuesday and Wednesday and going home Thursday. Plus she's a widow and lives alone. There is no shame in asking someone to go to the Dr with you.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:55 AM

698 posts, read 2,839,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Is there someone you could get to go with you to the doctor? This could make a big difference. You could offer to do them some favor in return, if you find it awkward to ask.
I don't consciously fear the doctor, yet when I go my blood pressure often reads high, and I don't have high blood pressure at all. It's normal at all other times. Occasionally my husband goes with me, and at those times my blood pressure is always normal, even though he's usually just out in the waiting room. The mind is a funny thing.
That's a great tip! I wish I had someone with me but it's always me alone. I think the value I place on my health cancels out any crippling fears, but, yes, it's still moderately stressful.
Bottom line is that you must love your choice of doctors and then see them as your personal caregivers, there to protect and safeguard you from harm and be there for you when you're not well or to check to make sure you're ok (i.e. wellness visits). Then you're both on the same team and YOU are the one being cared for by THEM.
It works for me.
When you no longer feel this way about any doctor, it's time to change.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:56 PM

829 posts, read 2,953,753 times
Thanks for all the answers and opinions.

for those who get stressed...what are your reasons for being stressed at the docs? i think for me its finding something wrong and having to deal with all that, getting there and they saying "well this is weird, we need to run some tests"...also it would be terrible for me with the time leading up to the appt...like others i would probably be better once in there, but still not good...

Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 AM

24,835 posts, read 37,320,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
Thanks for all the answers and opinions.

for those who get stressed...what are your reasons for being stressed at the docs? i think for me its finding something wrong and having to deal with all that, getting there and they saying "well this is weird, we need to run some tests"...also it would be terrible for me with the time leading up to the appt...like others i would probably be better once in there, but still not good...
Wow...again your post reminds me of my mother.

If she was sick and I would say you better go to the doctor she would really say, "God no, it might be cancer".

In the end she passed due to her heart.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:35 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,561,392 times
Oh my land, you are singing to the choir! I am so scared of doctors, hospitals that it's ridiculous. I am now at the age where I am suppose to have a colonscopy and haven't done it. I am 1 1/2 yr past due on my mammogram (mom has breast cancer), haven't had a pap smear in 3 yrs. I do however, go see my doctor every 4 - 6 months for high blood pressure which is always sky high when I go because I am having severe anxiety. I am probably on all of the HBP pills for nothing! I always associate going to see a Dr. as bad news, cancer, clogged arteries, heart problems. The same with getting tests done, I think of them as bad news. You would think that my doctor would give me something for my anxiety to get this stuff done, but she won't. Sometimes I think female doctors are barbaric!

Old 01-24-2012, 04:36 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,561,392 times
Oh yeah and I forgot to add, I work in a medical office and with the patients am as calm as a cucumbrer....because it's not me being treated!

Old 01-25-2012, 06:53 PM

829 posts, read 2,953,753 times
i wonder if there are docs that specialzie in these areas of anxiety?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health