Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 04:16 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,199 times

Advertisements

For a very long time now I have had a big fear/phobia of going to the docs or anything medical related. Im the happiest person you know, but if someone mentions that i need to go to the doc, full on panic attack. Also, when ever my health is not perfect, instead of being able to focus on healing and getting better. I obsess about having to go the doctor. For example i have had a sore type throat when swallowing, some pressure in the ears and face, etc...im sure its a type of sinus issue or allergy issue, but i just cant relax deal with it and get better. I sit here and always in the back of mind is worry. Can someone offer some help with this?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 04:43 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
For a very long time now I have had a big fear/phobia of going to the docs or anything medical related. Im the happiest person you know, but if someone mentions that i need to go to the doc, full on panic attack. Also, when ever my health is not perfect, instead of being able to focus on healing and getting better. I obsess about having to go the doctor. For example i have had a sore type throat when swallowing, some pressure in the ears and face, etc...im sure its a type of sinus issue or allergy issue, but i just cant relax deal with it and get better. I sit here and always in the back of mind is worry. Can someone offer some help with this?

thanks
Uh, no, but if you find out let me know. I have not been for a physical in years, let alone any of the tests and whatnot "recommended" for a woman my age. I have escaped two terrorist attacks, yet I also go into an anxiety attack at the idea of facing a doctor's appointment. I've gone so far as to ask a coworker who lives in my county for the name of a gynecologist, but I can't bring myself to call and make an appointment. As soon as I do, I will be hyperventilating and in a state of worry/anxiety until I have to go to that appointment.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I have better health insurance than anyone else I ever met, but I can't get to a doctor. My insurance company calls and leaves recorded messages about how I am overdue for mammograms and colonoscopies. I was thinking of actually calling some kind of shrink to discuss this and see if they could help me.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,199 times
wow, seems like we have a lot in common in that respect.

funny, i dropped 800lbs on my face lifting weights leaving me blind in my right eye, and joked about it in the hospital that this was a nice way to overcome my phobia, but it didnt...

also i have found that i have posted a topic liket his every year since i have been on city data...

Last edited by CelticViking; 01-21-2012 at 05:20 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 05:01 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times
If you feel the need to go to an m.d., consider finding a holistic m.d..
A less cold / clinical approach and someone who is aware of all facets of healing may provide you with a different experience.
If you don't feel the need to go to an m.d. but need help with a specific issue or issues, find an alternative health care professional who will be able to address specific needs.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:36 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
wow, seems like we have a lot in common in that respect.

funny, i dropped 800lbs on my face lifting weights leaving me blind in my right eye, and joked about it in the hospital that this was a nice way to overcome my phobia, but it didnt...

also i have found that i have posted a topic liket his every year since i have been on city data...
Oh my, that must have HURT!

Old 01-21-2012, 09:56 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
I have an avoidance issue with the gynecologist. It's not that I'm afraid to go; I'm not. It's just - well that would involve me finding a new one, since my new health insurance doesn't have my old one on their list. and then I'd have to have my old one transfer my records to the new one, and I'd have to get another mammogram (I'm 2 months overdue, I hate those things - no fear, just loathing)...

It's just way too much drama, just to have someone stick a prickly q-tip inside, swipe a swab's worth, and send me home with k-y jelly stuck in my underwear.

I've never had a fear of doctors, not even anxiety other than specific incidences (MRIs, dental drill, and any doctor even suggesting that I -might- need a needle biopsy/aspiration on any part of my anatomy...and this weird device the eye doctor puts me through that makes it look like he's trying to place metal ON my eyeball).

I'm fine with the physicians. Just not so much with certain procedures. A little xanax goes a long way though

Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,185 times
Hi. Anxiety can be pretty complicated. One of the most common (and maybe best) ways to deal with it is desensitiation (sp?).

You might want to find a therapist to help you, if possible. Woud a phychologits create the same type of anxiety in you as an MD?

If you can't do that, there are some good books on the subject. You can find them in amazon, or go to a bookstore or library.

My son suffered from school anxiety when he was in middle school. We had to learn a lot bout the subject to help him to overcome his anxiety.

Try to at least to the basic things to help youself with the sore throat in the meantime. You don't always need to see a doctore for basic illnesses. Some things are just common sense. Get plenty of rest, drink lots of liquids and you can use some over the counter things to help treat some of the symptoms.

But you do need to deal with this doctor anxiety at some point, in case you are ever suffering from something you can't deal with at home.

One other thing that we learned about was trying to look at the reality of the situation. Sometimes plain ol' statistics will help calm your fears. You have to focus on the reality of the situations.
What are the real chances that your ailment is going to turn out to be something scary?

People who suffer from anxiety tend to get channel locked focusing on the 1 percent chance of something bad happening rather than the 99 percent chance that everything will be fine.

You gotta try to remember that chances are, everything will turn out okay? Does that make sense?

Old 01-22-2012, 03:14 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:

thanks
I have trouble with going to medical appoints too.

I think my mother scared me to death about them.

The dentist was used as a threat. If I did not bush my teeth I would have it go to the dentist and it would be painful.

The same thing with the doctors.

If I did not wear a hat or, coat I would have to go to the doctor and they would give me shots.

As an adult, I know these professionals do not want to hurt me.

If I am having a hard time, I just tell the medical staff.

They have always helped me with my fears.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:03 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
My mother has this issue, I have heard it called white coat syndrome. She dreads going to any doctors and gets herself in panic mode. She's 66. but once she gets there and has been seen by the doctor, then goes home she's fine. They check her blood pressure and it's always higher than normal because of this. She is having catarac surgery Wednesday and I will be with her. She is already obsessing over it. I just let her vent and tell her it will be ok. Her worry is that there will be complications. She takes Xanax on a regular basis anyway for anxiety/panic attacks that she has had all her life. Her Dr thinks she's nuts but I say find a new Dr. There is abolutley nothing wrong with what you are going through however it is important to go to doctors if you get sick or injured. It also helps having someone go with you to the Dr.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:12 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
Is there someone you could get to go with you to the doctor? This could make a big difference. You could offer to do them some favor in return, if you find it awkward to ask.
I don't consciously fear the doctor, yet when I go my blood pressure often reads high, and I don't have high blood pressure at all. It's normal at all other times. Occasionally my husband goes with me, and at those times my blood pressure is always normal, even though he's usually just out in the waiting room. The mind is a funny thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health