Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times

Advertisements

Also, keep in mind that some people aren't happy unless they can drag others down with them. Miserable people enjoy making others miserable along with them. Those are the ones you have to avoid like the plague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 02:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
It helps to turn off the computer and do something physical.

Find a passion and go for it.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:28 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
No, it's just your very narrow minded opinion. It's like saying all cancers are caused by smoking. You discounted the hundreds of others reasons why people may become more negative or jaded.
You're confusing yourself. You just agreed with other comments that expressed my exact sentiment, yet you called it a 'narrow minded' opinion. How so??

Anyway (for those who have some sense of comprehension), it's the same effect that advertising has on the general public. We're told that we're not complete unless we have xyz product. Those that can purchase it receive a temporary false sense of satisfaction. Once that product runs out, we need to buy more to fullfill the need.

I'm sure there's negativity generated from the frustration of not being able to obtain or feeling that one 'ought' to be able to have that new car or the latest gadget. There's no doubt that especially in this economy, people are working harder for less of a return. I can easily see where the entitlement factor comes into play whether you care to admit it or not.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:11 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
What I sense is a gradual awareness that 'youth' in our society is over, that we're hitting/have already hit the times of compromise and decisions. I also think there is an awareness coming through that the functional parts of society are 'hardening'. It's a subtle thing, and doesn't mean that its 'the end' but that there is great transition happening from the perception of promise to the perception of things being cast in stone.

Perhaps for Americans this is greater since as a society we've always been told we have something 'perfect' and always fixable, but as we age and our limits harden, we're beginning as a mass to see that it might not be and that its never been and it deeply dissapoints our psychie.

Change has always happened, but it happens faster now and no matter what side your on, if you like it, don't like it or somewhere in between, it puts us as humans since we're made with the need for that something we can depend on.

I've been seeing this not just recently but over the last twenty years of more, a gradual rise of worry and uncertainty and a greater portion of people who can feel something negative growing.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:13 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
You're confusing yourself. You just agreed with other comments that expressed my exact sentiment, yet you called it a 'narrow minded' opinion. How so??

Anyway (for those who have some sense of comprehension), it's the same effect that advertising has on the general public. We're told that we're not complete unless we have xyz product. Those that can purchase it receive a temporary false sense of satisfaction. Once that product runs out, we need to buy more to fullfill the need.

I'm sure there's negativity generated from the frustration of not being able to obtain or feeling that one 'ought' to be able to have that new car or the latest gadget. There's no doubt that especially in this economy, people are working harder for less of a return. I can easily see where the entitlement factor comes into play whether you care to admit it or not.
I'll ignore your little snide remarks, but you clearly misunderstood my point. Again, it's like saying all cancers are caused by smoking only. You are focussing on one particular cause of what might be making people seem more negative, while ignoring the host of other reasons, largely as I suspect to make some sort of political point (the word 'entitlements' gets banded around a lot on the political forum and is often used to take cheap shots at the poor).

You're basically saying that the reason why people are more negative is because they can't afford that new flat screen or iPod. I say that from an economic perspective, it's more to do with unemployment, lack of job security, worrying about whether there will be enough money for retirement or to send the kids to university.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Good advice. I seldom watch television anymore for those reasons.
. It is amazing actually bcs I always thought it was just stock advice your dr tells you, etc...

but I am happier at work and home doing other things, and not watching behar,HLN "news" and hate news media with an agenda. life is too short.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:36 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I don't know if people are necessarily more negative today than they were a few decades ago, but now they have more options and methods of spreading that negativity than ever. Cable television 24 hours a day, internet, texting, social networking sites, online forums, news, politics etc. Lot's of ugliness out there. Sometimes you need to step away from the gadgets and technology and rinse your mind of all the clutter and hostility. Spend a day at the beach or the park, crack open a book, meditate, treat yourself to a massage, go for a walk in the city, or whatever helps take you to a better place.
texting is only for close friends. FB is a joke. I deleted mine. No time for it. I save 300.00 a month now without satellite . I can read or live stream news when I want info.

Last year I noticed I had 900 channels on satellite, and watched 2. TCM for classic film. trash reality tv is sheer garbage, I will not pay for all those stations like Bravo that ten years ago had movies and now televise cheap reality trash.

weed out the chaff, its a good survival mechanism, plus I no longer have to watch advertising and manipulative media "telling" people what they need.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:50 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
I've always tended to be negative, a behavior I learned from my Mother. My self esteem was never developed because of my upbringing. But the last 4 years have left me downright hopeless. Divorce, unemployment, fear over going bankrupt and becomming homeless. I mean, what is there to be excited about? Well, I do have one thing, a goreous girlfriend. But its just a matter of time before she leaves because I'm evidently unemployable. Who cares about all the education? Its worthless.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:20 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I've always tended to be negative, a behavior I learned from my Mother. My self esteem was never developed because of my upbringing. But the last 4 years have left me downright hopeless. Divorce, unemployment, fear over going bankrupt and becomming homeless. I mean, what is there to be excited about? Well, I do have one thing, a goreous girlfriend. But its just a matter of time before she leaves because I'm evidently unemployable. Who cares about all the education? Its worthless.
This is absolutely correct, I agree 100%. One can have all he education in the world, but it still won't materialise jobs out of thin air! All those pieces of paper for academic achievement and titles do is create more beurocracy, encourages more regulation, and makes it even harder for others to gain, and remain in, productive and meaningful employment.

Next to capitalism and the greed of the Corporation, that's one of the major problems today, too many academics pushing bits of paper around thinking up more ways to make everyones life harder, and not enough people getting down and dirty working in REAL jobs.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:06 PM

310 posts, read 1,357,040 times
My thoughts on negativity...

Being constantly negative all the time for selfish reasons is rather annoying. My grandmother was one of those types of people. She never, ever looked at the good in life, only the bad. Constantly judging others, she was just plain malicious. Hated everything and everyone, even people she didn't even know.

Sometimes people who are usually optimistic go through hard times and that can make a person negative. I imagine I'd be in a bad mood if I lost something or someone I loved.

Negativity is a reflection of a person's feelings. When we are happy, we are optimistic and positive. Bad moods make us negative. Some people deal with things better than others and can overcome things even in the most dire situation. Some people let even the smallest thing upset them and they become bitter and unhappy as a result.

The only thing you can do when you become overwhelmed by negativity is to remember you are only in control of yourself. You cannot change others outlooks or opinions. If you can overcome negative attitudes and not let them affect you then that's all you need to thrive. It will set an example for those who aren't strong enough to overcome the challenges of life.

People don't respond to advice or help unless they want to. That does not mean, however, that the world cannot change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health