Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2021, 05:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,240 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone ans thank you for reading me. I write here because I have no one to talk to about this.

My family doesn't understand my need to be alone. They always reproach me for being selfish and thinking only about myself. I've always been solitary but I've become even more solitary since I spent almost one year alone because of the last lockdown.
I am going through a dark period at the moment, I think a depression, I faced the suicide of my only best friend a few months ago and I am moving forward alone. No one suspects all the dark thoughts that go through my head every night because I never complain to anyone. But I'm trying my best to move forward.
It's a period where I need to be alone more than any time before. I am a very secretive person, I want to cry when I want, to scream when I want ... Without me undergoing the gaze of others.
I live alone in a 15m2 space and my Dad asked my sister to come and spend the actual lockdown with me. This situation stresses me out a lot. If it was for a week or few days, it wouldn't have bothered me a lot, I would have taken it upon myself (she spent a week with a moth ago). But it is for an indefinite period. I don't want to worsen my state of mind and put it through others.

I know that if I oppose to it, they will blame me and call me selfish as they always do. My self-esteem is at its lowest at the moment, and I don't want to hear reproaches. I've
never asked to be understood, I just want to be forgotten and left alone. I don't Know how to make my family understand this, I don't think it's possible. I just need someone to tell me that I am not a bad person if I prefer spending most time alone. My dad stopped talking to me for two months last year because of this and it really affected me mentally. I don't want this to live this again, I don't have the strength to...

Thank you for reading me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 06:02 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Absolutely nothing wrong with living alone., Given the number of a$$holes in this world, sometimes it feels pretty good to avoid them and their kind.

Shutting down media (no offense CD) can be quite refreshing. Really, opinions are available from anyone, anytime, but real "news" is infrequent.

Go back a few months and find the NY Times article on people who are celebrating the opportunity to be reclusive and how good it makes them feel.

To each their own. Revel in the freedom.

Last edited by Ted Bear; 03-25-2021 at 06:27 AM..

Old 03-25-2021, 01:34 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabelleshali View Post
Hello to everyone ans thank you for reading me. I write here because I have no one to talk to about this.

My family doesn't understand my need to be alone. They always reproach me for being selfish and thinking only about myself. I've always been solitary but I've become even more solitary since I spent almost one year alone because of the last lockdown.
I am going through a dark period at the moment, I think a depression, I faced the suicide of my only best friend a few months ago and I am moving forward alone. No one suspects all the dark thoughts that go through my head every night because I never complain to anyone. But I'm trying my best to move forward.
It's a period where I need to be alone more than any time before. I am a very secretive person, I want to cry when I want, to scream when I want ... Without me undergoing the gaze of others.
I live alone in a 15m2 space and my Dad asked my sister to come and spend the actual lockdown with me. This situation stresses me out a lot. If it was for a week or few days, it wouldn't have bothered me a lot, I would have taken it upon myself (she spent a week with a moth ago). But it is for an indefinite period. I don't want to worsen my state of mind and put it through others.

I know that if I oppose to it, they will blame me and call me selfish as they always do. My self-esteem is at its lowest at the moment, and I don't want to hear reproaches. I've
never asked to be understood, I just want to be forgotten and left alone. I don't Know how to make my family understand this, I don't think it's possible. I just need someone to tell me that I am not a bad person if I prefer spending most time alone. My dad stopped talking to me for two months last year because of this and it really affected me mentally. I don't want this to live this again, I don't have the strength to...

Thank you for reading me
IMHO, family members who refuse to accept or appreciate someone's social inclinations are not worth the energy it takes to fight with.

While it is natural to be concerned about someone who is showing signs of major depression, that is not the same as demanding that person live in a manner that makes them even more unhappy. For many depressed people, spending some time around others who are supportive can really help them stay functional. But even that doesn't need to be constant. Everyone needs privacy. The problem is finding a balance. In your case, forcing you to share living space with another person is just making things worse.

If your family members really wanted to understand you as an individual and help you, they would be willing to discuss what works for you and at least try to understand your need for solitude. As it is, they don't care enough. They only see their point of view. There's only one way to live...theirs. Maybe much of that is cultural, but to force you is utterly selfish.

Why are you allowing them to dictate how you live? Are you dependent on them for some reason? I would do whatever it takes to fix that problem. If it means disconnecting from all of them for some amount of time, so be it. Only you can make that determination and only you can take those steps.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-25-2021 at 02:05 PM..

Old 03-27-2021, 07:52 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
You're not a bad person because your prefer spending most time alone.
There's lots of us like that...and just like you said, these people that can't/won't understand it do call you selfish...sorry to say.
They can call it what they want...their loss...it's just sad that unless you're like them, they choose to ostracize you....which really reinforces to the introvert the very reason they are what they are, and why they choose to be so.
I'd rather be alone than deal with the head games some people are so fond of playing.
I don't blame you, nor see anything wrong with preferring to be alone.

Old 03-27-2021, 05:32 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
OP, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be alone. What happens if you tell your sister to leave? I'm not understanding how they are arguing you would be "selfish" if she's allegedly doing it as a favor to you-- since when is it selfish to tell someone they don't have to do a favor for you?

However, I think you might benefit from talking to a counselor or similar... someone you can talk to without judgment or thinking they'll worry about you, and someone who can help you come to terms with your friend's suicide and anything else that has been rough for you.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:56 PM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times
I just heard a story on NPR about a man who lived a life of a hermit in Maine for 27 years without speaking to another person.

I lived alone for 10 years at one point in my life and there is a freedom about it I do miss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Thomas_Knight

Old 03-29-2021, 04:36 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Isabelleshali, I'm a solitary person too. An only child who only had a handful of friends total throughout my life, (except maybe back in elem school).

You're an adult, just tell your family/sister/dad NO that you preefer to live alone. Who cares what they think.

Old 04-16-2021, 01:33 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabelleshali View Post

Thank you for reading me
You are not selfish or bad as we are all wired and configured differently. As I get older. i am craving becoming solitary more and more, withdrawing and less inclined to socialize, except with certain individuals. Given the fact that I have had countless bad experiences with people over the course of my life, I am approaching the point of absolution where I want to be left alone, except when I initiate the social contact and with selected FEW individuals.

What's strange is when I go overseas with a small group, I am drastically different socially then when here in the states, so mine can possibly be attributed to the environment i am in now.

If your family truly valued your feelings and have an understanding of why you prefer solitude, they would at least not have a singular view about it. On a surface level I can understand the concern, but what I don't fathom is their need to negatively harbor their relentless judgement without solicitation from you.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:48 AM

307 posts, read 213,772 times
I don't think you wanting to be alone is a problem at all. Christmas 2019, my family decided to visit my father in law and his new wife in Arizona. I've been making that trip for years and my FIL really doesn't like me so there was always a feeling of dread but I would go anyway to be supportive of my husband.

In 2019 I chose to stay home alone because I didn't want to deal with the added stress, especially during Christmas. That week and a half was the most relaxing time I can remember in decades simply because I didn't have to talk to or deal with anyone.

Time alone can be a way to recharge and your family should respect your space. You are not being selfish and should be allowed to be alone if you choose to.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Isabelleshali, I'm a solitary person too. An only child who only had a handful of friends total throughout my life, (except maybe back in elem school).

You're an adult, just tell your family/sister/dad NO that you preefer to live alone. Who cares what they think.
Couldn't agree more. You'll feel an immense relief once you do..just say NO, sorry..find another place.
They could be pissed but it'll no doubt blow over...and for your peace of mind it'll be worth it don't you think???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health