Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:35 AM

202 posts, read 472,894 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Do you have a problem or do they have a problem?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
I used to feel that way and then decided to live my life to please me and as for other people, it had to be a 2 way street. I've been much happier since then. You can't please other people anyway b/c they're not thinking about you really--most folks are pretty self-centered. If you feel the need to help someone, go help someone who could really use a boost but don't let them become dependent on you b/c that's not good for you or for them.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:58 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
My mom has been like this for years and still continues to try and please everyone. She is not the problem though and likes to keep peace and harmony in the family. No matter what she does no one but myself and my DH seem to appreciate her. My brother and his wife don't seem to be as grateful. She'll send them care packages with homemade breads, cakes, cookies and it sometimes goes unaknowledged for days or it's just a quick "Thanks".when my nephew was born last July my mom went above and beyond for them, buying clothes for the baby. We went to stay with them for a week and she even treated to dinner one night and instead of saying "gee mom thanks" all she got was "you didn't have to pay for dinner we do have money you know". Or they will say things like "why did you do that"?if sends a gift instead of saying Thank you. Same with her co-workers, if it's someone in her department's birthday she likes to make a fuss and bring in cookies or a cake and it goes unappreciated. I finally told her to stop trying to please everyone becasue it doesn't matter to them.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:30 PM

410 posts, read 515,190 times
I am constantly trying to please people. I try very hard to win their love. I do notice that there are alot of people that don't try as hard as myself to win me over but that is just the way they are. It doesn't bother me. I continue to be loving,caring and giving to everyone because it does make me happy.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:51 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Sattar View Post
I am constantly trying to please people. I try very hard to win their love. I do notice that there are alot of people that don't try as hard as myself to win me over but that is just the way they are. It doesn't bother me. I continue to be loving,caring and giving to everyone because it does make me happy.
Well and that's a good attitude to have too, because some people are just givers, whether they get anything in return or not. If you're that type, then you won't be happy unless you can disengage yourself from worrying about being appreciated in return. One thing to keep in mind is that some people don't show gratitude back because they're a little embarrassed by being showered with gifts (material, emotional, and spiritual) and it makes them feel guilty. You don't even have to be over the top with it, but if you're more of a giving type than they are, then they may be uncomfortable and if they are, then it would be best to back off with that. After all, you want to make them happy, right?

Old 02-25-2012, 01:07 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1717Guy View Post
Does anyone else feel this way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you have a problem or do they have a problem?

1717Guy,

The comment Charles made sounds caulous, but theres some truth there.

Although, can be a good thing in certain professions.
Its probably the result of the primordial relationship and you're still trying to please.

Codependency.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:32 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
There is an old saying about the best gift you can give someone is to do something nice for them and do not let anyone know about it, including the reciepient.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
1717Guy....I get off on pleasing others too!!!

Old 02-25-2012, 05:22 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
I used to, then I realized that you can't make other people happy. You'll likely end up miserable and alone and wonder what went wrong. Go through life trying to treat others the way you want to be treated. If that makes them happy, I guess that's a bonus. Just don't make the mistake of ever expecting anything in return.....you're sure to end up disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health