Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:00 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,525,886 times

Advertisements

I never thought it would come to this, but I am very frightened. My husband just retired after a very demanding job. Over the past few weeks, with family problems looming..... Older son has marriage problems, and younger has other issues, which I cannot mention. My husband has always been on top of everything, military, grad school........he saw me through my depression several years ago. Now suddenly at 65, he cannot remember simple things and his short term memory is terrible. We saw his doctor yesterday and they are running thyroid, B vitamin, and folic acid tests. Had a brain MRI this afternoon. No results yet, of course. He knew the retirement was coming, but he was in no way REALLY prepared. This came on within three weeks. The doctor did put him on Lexapro, and also thought that he may have sleep apnea.

If any of this is familiar to any of you, please give me your thoughts.

As I said his stress level has been extreme.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 06:53 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times
I don't know but it could be that it's the combination of stress and some depression due to that stress and also due to retiring.
Don't men tend to have a difficult time when they no longer work because, more so than women, their identity is so very tied to their career and to their ability to provide?
I imagine that a man could feel a bit lost and purposeless when they retire.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
I never thought it would come to this, but I am very frightened. My husband just retired after a very demanding job. Over the past few weeks, with family problems looming..... Older son has marriage problems, and younger has other issues, which I cannot mention. My husband has always been on top of everything, military, grad school........he saw me through my depression several years ago. Now suddenly at 65, he cannot remember simple things and his short term memory is terrible. We saw his doctor yesterday and they are running thyroid, B vitamin, and folic acid tests. Had a brain MRI this afternoon. No results yet, of course. He knew the retirement was coming, but he was in no way REALLY prepared. This came on within three weeks. The doctor did put him on Lexapro, and also thought that he may have sleep apnea.

If any of this is familiar to any of you, please give me your thoughts.

As I said his stress level has been extreme.
Thanks
The fact that this has come suddenly makes it sound less like alzheimer's (as I'm sure you're worried about) and more like something else is going on. Stress is a killer and he should definitely be dealing with that--B vitamins are great for stress related issues. If he eats junk food, that should stop until he gets a handle on things--I was under a lot of stress these last 6 months and the thing that put me over the top was overindulging in sweet foods one weekend and then I had a meltdown. Has he been put on any new meds besides the lexapro? Is he overweight? If you are worried about dementia, the latest studies are showing that people with the worst blood sugar control are most likely to get it so make sure you have a handle on it.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 AM

Doctor called last evening . Rushed him to emergency. They found a large mass the size of a plum at the back of the brain. Son stayed and called me at midnight. Going to leave for the hospital soon. Those who do, please pray that it is treatable. and he will come home to me.

Thank you.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:01 AM

Default Bad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
Doctor called last evening . Rushed him to emergency. They found a large mass the size of a plum at the back of the brain. Son stayed and called me at midnight. Going to leave for the hospital soon. Those who do, please pray that it is treatable. and he will come home to me.

Thank you.

Thank you for all your prayers.........it is the worst news, cancer and one that will take his life. He will start chemo and radiation in a few days. I am not in the mindset to explain particulars, but we hope he will be with us for about 2-3 months. Enough time to get affairs in order and say goodbye.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:10 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Oh hun, I am so sorry to hear that and my prayers will definitely be with you. I won't bother you with questions as I know you have too many other things to tend to, but feel free to check in when you need some stress relief yourself and please take care of your own self to the fullest extent possible b/c you need to be strong. And take those B-vitamins!

Old 03-10-2012, 01:39 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
I'm so sorry. I've read that Transfer Factor has been used by those with various illnesses and helps boost ones own immune system. Seems to help some during Chemo I've read. I have tried it with a pet I lost to cancer. I included a link for some information on it. You might also look on the Earthclinic website for other things that might help his condition. I don't believe doctors know it all or are even sometimes all that smart. As you will need support you might join Daily Strength, they have people struggling with almost every ailment you can imagine there. It might be helpful to share and have others there to support you. Look into a support group, both local and via the net. I wish there was more I could say or do to help.

Cancer Remedies
Online Support Groups and Forums at DailyStrength
Transfer Factors And The Immune Response in Humans and Animals

Old 03-10-2012, 02:04 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
I am so very sorry, I understand, I lost my husband to cancer.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:17 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
Jude 1948, I'm so sorry. Wishing you and your family the best.
Please take care.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 AM

Thank you all. He will consult with oncologist on Monday and go from there. The hope is to slow it down and extend his life with some quality to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health