Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 PM

219 posts, read 481,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
dreamofmonterey...I never went to any reunions either...My parents sent me to an uppity and affluent Catholic high school for girls. I didn't "fit-in" at all! I became a "rebel" and challenged the nuns about lots of things...Right before our first freshman dance the principal announced that we weren't going to be allowed to do the "Twist" at the dance. Anyone caught doing the "Twist" would be pulled off the dance floor. Or our parents would be called and we'd be asked to leave the dance! I thought this was totally unfair and worked "twist moves" into my dancing whenever I could. I got pulled off the floor several times but they weren't too hard on me back then. I was still new to the school and a top honor student...Later on they hated my guts. I was asked to leave the school in the middle of my junior year.
So you got expelled like you're a criminal! That's more like I expect for morons starting fights. That catholic school definitely has the stink of being uppity! At least if it was all over the "twist".

So they thought you were no better than some tobacco-smuggling kid.

Your story reminds me of a school with Professor Snape in the administration!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:14 AM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
You know, I got to thinking about this thread and came on here just to post to it as it's close to my heart. Here's what I was thinking: several on here have stated that they were very sensitive or even over-sensitive. I got told that many times as well, esp by my very well meaning mother, but fact is now that I think back on it, I was just sensitive enough. What is over-sensitive after all? The ability to feel pain when people are mean to you? It means you care. What is wrong with that? What could possibly be wrong with it?

The real fact of the matter is that we weren't good at pretending we were cool, and if you think about it, that's a good thing--we were nice genuine people. At school I try to take these kids under my wing w/o making things harder for them. Another thing that I've noticed is that in adult life, I have said the most, bland thing, something arbitrary, and someone will get offended, even though no offense was meant. So who is over sensitive? Someone who gets offended when no offense is meant, or someone who gets their feelings hurt when many people are mean to them at once? I'd wager to say that most kids would not have enjoyed the treatment we received, unless they had no feelings at all.

I can't rep you again yet, stepka, but this was an excellent post. "Over-sensitive" is exactly what my mother used to call me. It's awful, because it's water long under the bridge. She has had therapy and has changed, and so have I, and she's an old lady now and we have a good relationship. But those things she said to me as a kid did permanent damage. It's how she was raised, too--there was this bizarre thought, seeming a part of the old Dutch-American culture, that saying something good or praising a kid would lead to them have a swelled head, so every time a kid thought something of themselves or was proud of what they did, you had to squash it. (There is even a phrase called "Dutch praise", which means criticism.) Without even thinking about it, she started to do the same to her grandchildren. My niece decided in eighth grade to start running. My mother told her she would never be able to run competitively. (My niece graduated from high school 18th in the state in track.) Same with my daughter. When she was 9, she started playing the trumpet. My mother told her that was ridiculous, that she'd never learn to play a trumpet. I spoke with both kids and made them see that this was a just a whacko quirk of grandma's and not to listen to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health