Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 10:02 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,957 times

Advertisements

So i was channel surfing today and saw something very interesting on the Dr. Oz show.
It's called transcranial magnetic stimulation.

"Transcranial magnetic stimulation is a procedure that uses magnetic fields to stimulate nerve cells in the brain to improve symptoms of depression. Transcranial magnetic stimulation may be tried when other depression treatments haven't worked.
With transcranial magnetic stimulation, a large electromagnetic coil is placed against your scalp near your forehead. The electromagnet used in transcranial magnetic stimulation creates electric currents that stimulate nerve cells in the region of your brain involved in mood control and depression."

That quote is from the Mayo Clinic web-site.
It's interesting that they say that TMS "may be tried when other depression treatments haven't worked."
If this works for severe depression in the way that it has for the 2 women featured on the Dr. Oz, i'd say well, why not try it first ... before medication?!

Dr. Oz asked the audience how many people had heard of this therapy and not one person raised their hand even though it's been an available and an FDA approved treatment for 3 years now.
I never knew about it until today.

It makes a lot of sense to me.
It's apparently painless and it's just my sense (i haven't researched this at all yet) that though it may seem parallel or similar to electro shock therapy it's not but i'm not sure about that.
It is painless and very gentle.
They demonstrated the procedure on the show.

Can you imagine how the pharmaceutical companies feel about a treatment like this if it is indeed effective?!

It was also noted on the show that insurance companies won't pay for it until after the fact ... i guess until the treatment has been shown to be successful for the individual? I imagine it's quite expensive.

Google search Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 04:59 PM

256 posts, read 480,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Can you imagine how the pharmaceutical companies feel about a treatment like this if it is indeed effective?!
And here's the answer why nobody has heard of it in 3 years it's been approved.
Thanks for the link 'cause I've never heard of it either.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post
And here's the answer why nobody has heard of it in 3 years it's been approved.
Thanks for the link 'cause I've never heard of it either.
That's what i figure.
I wonder though .... if that's true, how exactly do the pharmaceutical companies interfere with this kind of therapy?
By what means do they "block" it from the awareness of people?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,498,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
That's what i figure.
I wonder though .... if that's true, how exactly do the pharmaceutical companies interfere with this kind of therapy?
By what means do they "block" it from the awareness of people?
The same way they block information about LVDC produced Electrically Isolated Silver {commonly referred to as Colloidal Silver} or anything else which doesn't fall within mainstream ideals and teachings...misrepresentation, misinformation, innuendo, lies, and establishment and media propaganda. Why?....Follow the money trail!

Old 03-16-2012, 01:03 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,877 times
I was reading in the first link below that the clinical benefits of 4 to 6 weeks of treatment were maintained through 6 months of follow up study. So if you had to continue repeating the treatment plan, I wonder if the clinical benefits would decrease? That seems to be the case with ETC. Though they are different types of procedures. The VA hospital nearest me is being trained to use TMS. I'm interested in it as meds dont work on me. But I still have questions about it.

I remember reading it was very expensive. In the third link, they said the guy paid $9000 for the treatments. Most insurance isn't going to cover it, maybe if one has tried everything out there with no results first. So its out of reach for many or most but pills are still available and that makes the pill pushers happy.

Tms therapy for depression, transcranial magnetic stimulation tms therapy, tmc vs ect, tms vs vns, depression treatment options, deep brain stimulation for ocd-Southern Cal TMS (http://www.socaltms.com/FAQ.aspx - broken link)
The Mindful Brain: TMS vs ECT
http://www.wgntv.com/news/medicalwat...,1253639.story

Old 03-16-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I was reading in the first link below that the clinical benefits of 4 to 6 weeks of treatment were maintained through 6 months of follow up study. So if you had to continue repeating the treatment plan, I wonder if the clinical benefits would decrease? That seems to be the case with ETC. Though they are different types of procedures. The VA hospital nearest me is being trained to use TMS. I'm interested in it as meds dont work on me. But I still have questions about it.

I remember reading it was very expensive. In the third link, they said the guy paid $9000 for the treatments. Most insurance isn't going to cover it, maybe if one has tried everything out there with no results first. So its out of reach for many or most but pills are still available and that makes the pill pushers happy.

Tms therapy for depression, transcranial magnetic stimulation tms therapy, tmc vs ect, tms vs vns, depression treatment options, deep brain stimulation for ocd-Southern Cal TMS (http://www.socaltms.com/FAQ.aspx - broken link)
The Mindful Brain: TMS vs ECT
http://www.wgntv.com/news/medicalwat...,1253639.story
So does that mean that the VA will provide that for you at no cost?
If you do this treatment, i will really look forward to hearing about your experience.
The psychiatrist who was on the Dr. Oz show seemed to suggest that this was a "cure", ie; permanent but don't quote me on that .... i could easily be wrong.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:56 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,877 times
Yeah, it wouldn't cost me anything. I suppose how well it works and how long it lasts could vary from one person to another. A cure or getting substantially better and without pills sounds great though doesn't it. The thing that initially keeps me from trying it is just the 80 mile trip to the city, as you have to go 5 days a week for the 40 minute sessions. I have a great deal of trouble with anxiety so even getting to the store once a week or so can be quite a hassle these days. I will try and find out more about it from the VA, I will pass that a long on c/d.

Have you ever heard of the Alpha-Stim, cranial electrotherapy stimulation machine? They aren't the same thing at all, though some claim they help. I tried that too. They is another product very similar and cheaper, thats the one I bought. If you haven't read anything about them, heres a link. The Alpha-Stim® SCS | Alpha-Stim - Alpha-Stim Therapy Best of luck to you.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Yeah, it wouldn't cost me anything. I suppose how well it works and how long it lasts could vary from one person to another. A cure or getting substantially better and without pills sounds great though doesn't it. The thing that initially keeps me from trying it is just the 80 mile trip to the city, as you have to go 5 days a week for the 40 minute sessions. I have a great deal of trouble with anxiety so even getting to the store once a week or so can be quite a hassle these days. I will try and find out more about it from the VA, I will pass that a long on c/d.

Have you ever heard of the Alpha-Stim, cranial electrotherapy stimulation machine? They aren't the same thing at all, though some claim they help. I tried that too. They is another product very similar and cheaper, thats the one I bought. If you haven't read anything about them, heres a link. The Alpha-Stim® SCS | Alpha-Stim - Alpha-Stim Therapy Best of luck to you.
What an opportunity!
I wouldn't pass it up if you feel confident that it's safe.
Maybe (if it would reduce the anxiety) you could find someone who would drive you there at least at the beginning stages?
If you don't have family members or friends that could do it perhaps a willing and caring volunteer can be found through the VA (or something like that).
I don't know but it's my sense that there are a lot of people out there these days that would be more than willing to help a vet out.
Good luck to you.
Thanks for the info and link ... i'll check it out.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:39 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,393 times
My friend works in a Psych office and is the tech for this treatment. It is fairly new to her office, but she has seen amazing results. Some patients begin improving after 3 or 4 treatments. The treatments are 30 minutes daily, M-F, for 6 weeks. If depression returns it is usually within the first 3-4 after initial treatment and may require one or two more single treatments.
Of the 30 or so patients completing their first 6 weeks of treatment, only one required an additional treatment. And, they not longer require medication!

Old 03-31-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
My friend works in a Psych office and is the tech for this treatment. It is fairly new to her office, but she has seen amazing results. Some patients begin improving after 3 or 4 treatments. The treatments are 30 minutes daily, M-F, for 6 weeks. If depression returns it is usually within the first 3-4 after initial treatment and may require one or two more single treatments.
Of the 30 or so patients completing their first 6 weeks of treatment, only one required an additional treatment. And, they not longer require medication!
Ah, interesting.
Thank you for that information.
It's really cool to hear from someone who has semi-direct experience with this treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health