Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 12:05 AM

37 posts, read 227,173 times

Advertisements

Spoiler alert this is long. but i hope you will bare with me.

My Mother passed away a month ago. before her death, we have BOTH prided ourselves for being to where we have been the past 10 years, despite a rocky path. my mom didn't raise me . My Grandma did since I was 5. i was sent to live with her becasue my mom's boyfriend was sexually, emotionaly, and physically abusive. I had no contact with mom for years. After grandma died, my mom called and we talked for about 3 hours. I had so many questions some unanswered like why she stayed with him and got rid of me. I forgave her. We had a WONDERFUL relationship after that. Traveled together. ( i was so proud to pay for my mom's plane ticket ) she visited me when I lived 4 hours away in another city . It was great.

A wrench was thrown in years ago, after so many years of happiness when a half sister was extremely verbally abusive to my mom, and was physically abusive to my child. my daughter was 3 yrs old, and was shy and didn't want to say MORE than "hi" to my sister.. She smacked my daughter's finger ( hard) out of her mouth ( my daughter was always afraid of her) and told her "YOU CAN'T SAY MORE THAN HI!??!!" and after I told my sister i would never let her near my daughter again!! I don't have a violent bone in my body, but felt like a tigress about to leap on her for hitting my baby for NO valid reason. I became so confused when my my said to ME ( i won't type my name )
" OH so and so "___my name" like i was wrong for defending my child.. like i started the mess. i was so confused and hurt. my mom became angry at ME and NOT angry at my mean sister for hitting a shy 3 yr old. mom told family members I started trouble ???? why ! because i called my sister out?? mom never mentioned to them what my sister did or said. ???? i forgave mom for that.

same sister was extremely verbally abusive my mom last year- I defended my mom- I had enough!.Now this sister is the daughter, of my step father who abused me and my mom. i think his daughter took on his abusive traits.
That day,I felt soo bad for my mom. she was silent as my sister was berating and humiliating her. My mother saying nothing. I spoke up and asked my sister (kindly) to "PLEASE not talk to our mother that way" My sister cursed me out, and verbally attacked me in a way you would not imagine. I spoke up to my half sister and said "I am done!! I AM DONE !!"
AGAIN my mother said "Oh ----my name" again i was confused and upset that i once again was the bad guy. while my half sisters abuse went un noticed and ignored..

i said something I now regret I blurted out to my mom "i wish you never had me!" honestly i DID mean it. even though i was in therapy - it was way too painful to deal with my mom and my sister. once again, rather than recognizing my sister's abuse ( just as she did my stepfather and getting rid of me and staying with him) here we go again with my sister. i went into a deep depression.

Fast forward about 4 months of silence after that on both ends. I called my mom or she called me, and we never spoke of that incident. but once again things were GREAT ! She spent that Christmas with me and my daughter. we played nintendo Wii, ate well, laughed constanly, and just had THE BEST time. my mom enjoyed herself so well. she kept asking if she could stay another night AFTER ONLY coming to stay one night. She stayed 7 nights !! a whole week. i took her for drs. vists. for groceries, her colonoscopy. We hung out and spoke regurarly.

Now I mention ALL of this ( forgive me ) to get to my point.
After taking my mom to get her colonoscopy in early November. I never saw my Mom again. OH NO! neither of us did nothing wrong! but i suffer from SEVER depression. to the point where I am sometimes in BED all day. then pretend to be sane when my kid comes home i also have a physical ailment which at times limits my travel, i also was not allowed to drive my car, which died a month later. but my mom and i still talked. i called har. maybe twice a week. depression ruling my soul. i loved her. And was determined to see her in february. had plans ironically the morning she passed away to send her flowers every week as a secret admirer. then reveal myself mother's day ! but she died in mid february. I got to her soon that day.. she had emphysema, but was doing okay. but it progressed, ( my other older half sister who didn't like that my and i got along despite the abuse of that sister and i ) she never told me nor called me when she died) my nephew called me. if i had known things had progressed ( my mom never mentioned it), i WOULD have taken my vomiting, and other secretions ( i'll spare you) and not care about my physical and emotional pain and ask anyone to take me.. mom was unconscious and dying. - but I told mom over and over again after i loved her. kissed her over and over. and held her & stroked her hair in the hospital.

********************MY DILEMA IS: NOW. My aunt ( my mom's sister) has spread nasty rumors and gossip that has circulated like WILDFIRE TO ALL MY MOM'S brother's and sister's. some out of town. and also my mom's friends who i know and they know me.. gossip is "she never even went to SEE her Mom for months !! " made it sound like I NEVER DID! and the ones who knew I had taken mom for colonoscopy in novemeber she let them know "SHE NEVER CAME TO SEE HER AFTER THAT!"

I feel this is a nasty vicious rumor /gossip to spread not only about a family member but to involve soooo many people. I feel like i wear a scarlett letter. some of my family is now cold to me. some of my mom's friends saying how horrible i am. i mention our rocky past because those people will NEVER know the extent of how i tried and forgave and how my momwas so good to me and bond me and my mother had despite my horrible childhood and the bad times.. even some relatives didn't know how we had traveled and spent christmas together. that i had done a lot for her. and her for me. After i explain my reason ?depression & physical ailmants, some understand. MOST don't

I already feel guilty for NOT seeing my mom. she lived ONLY about 15 miles away ! I WAS NOT angry with her AT ALL, nor her with me. I was just really going through a REALLY BAD time. now i feel soooo guilty! it is detroying me! I keep hearing my aunt say ( she never denied it) "SHE NEVER WENT TO SEE HER MOM" meaning NOW she is DEAD!. you cannot imagine how THAT has also destroyed me.**** ***********

the guilt, sadness and shame from my aunts words for some reason on top of my continued guilt - for some reason is DESTROYING emotionaly TONGHT.
honestly, if i didn't have my daughter, i WOULD take mysef out of this pain. it hurts so bad. i can't stop crying as i write this. i had planned on moving with my daughter. what am i here for FAMILY !?? although i have THE BEST circle of friends !! i will have enough saved in june. but folks, i can tell you even though i feel like ending my life. i will not because THAT would destroy my child. i am in therapy. which helps so much. but tonight is still and quiet, and i feel "THIS is my family??" i really want to leave MAY 1st. i know. hold on on one month. if i could leave the end of the month i would. i am almost finished packing. i don't have enough money saved. but will by june 1st. I WANT TO LEAVE TOMOROW. when i lived away from here my life was beautiful and happy. after cancer i returned to homtown. wanted to be with family i beat caner. but now feel. so trapped.
PLEASE someone HELP me to find peace. i need some thoughts from others.

do you know what it is like to want and NEED to leave family/friend/spoues/signifigant other -- yet CANNOT LEAVE because you don't have enough MONEY !!????!!

thank you! and i am sorry for the length. i just wanted you to know the other layers.
HELP !!

Last edited by Rainbow Connection; 03-29-2012 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: additon*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
You're going to have to find a way to have peace because you know you did all you could do in the situation that you have. You know your mother understood that you love and cared for her. I would only care that my mother knew the real situation and just let them talk. Sometimes you have to cut your "family" out for your own sanity, I did and have no regrets as you can only take so much and you have taken more than your share. I am glad you will be moving because, as you know, this situation is not good for your health, mental and/or physical. So, just shut them out. Their thoughts don't matter to you because you know the truth and your mother knew the truth. Families can be more trouble than they are worth. Now, start thinking about that upcoming move, do a little research about the new place each day and get outside and take a long walk to release some of your stress and tension. I am sorry for your pain but it will pass. It is very hard when you betrayed by your own family members but life goes on.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:13 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Forget what happened in the past...go to the present and the future...It is not intelligent to punish yourself or others...forgive- forget - relax.....I know you hurt...it will pass...You will wake up in the morning and see...the bright sun and blue sky...and realize that LIFE...is a gift and delight...step out of the darkness...it's a waste of time and life.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Here is my suggestion.....But, give it some thought.....and maybe even wait until after you relocate to pursue this idea.
Ok, here's the idea.....Write a letter to those you are concerned about, convey to them that while you and your Mother were happily close later in life, that because of financial reasons you were not able to be at her bedside until it was too late. Explain that because of life circumstances when you were small, your Mom was not able to care for you. Becuase of this, explain that you would really appreciate their contributing to your Mom's legacy that you are comprising, both for your benefit in the grieving process, as well as for your Daughter, to know a bit about her Grandmother as she grows up. if you have the ability either do this on line by developing a web page...or print out a letter, mail it to all those folks that know your Mom, and ask them for their stories, fun times, events they were involved in w/ your Mom.
Start the webpage, allow others to contribute their stories, leave pics of your Mom etc.
This will serve two purposes....It discounts your relatives horrible gossip...it helps you to hear/read stories of your Mom.
I think this will help you a lot. Do not write a letter blaming your step-sister or Aunt....The folks that know them, believe me, probably recognise them for the way they are. Let them be the bad guys. You rise above it. I hope that the folks that genuinely loved and were close to your Mom will write some interesting stories for you. They should be able to write letters, or email them to you. Some older folks do not do internet. You could put them on your web memorial page for you Mom.
Below are some links for bereavement....There are also places to read and or write your stories of grief and loss. It is a resource that is very beneficial...finding web pages online is a very good thing...many, many on here. You could develop a page yourself.........share your storiy there are undoubtedly many others dealing w/ the guilt along w/ the grief and loss. Good luck, let us know. Do just a simple search Grief and Loss tons of sites, both for humans and pets.
Lighting the Darkness of Grief – Our Celebration To Life

Old 03-29-2012, 03:28 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
It sounds like you might have 1 or 2 in there who are somewhat sympathetic to you. Can you go talk to them? I know this is hard now, but it will die down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health