Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:48 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times

Advertisements

Doll Eyes...Thanks for your posts. How do you think that people might describe you? (Most of the time anyway!)...I think people probably view me as "nice" and friendly but a little on the "reserved side." I don't think anyone would really call me "callous" or "uncaring." But I'm definitely on the quiet-side most of the time. I'm not an "in your face" kind of person...It's probably easy to forget that I'm "even around" half the time! I don't like to go out and "make noise" or "create waves" or be the absolute center of attention!...But I have many different "sides." Sometimes I let "more" of me "come out" depending on who I'm with and each individual situation...How about you? People seem surprised when they see other "facets" to me. (Like my "comic" side or my "philosopher" side or my "ambitious" side or my: "Don't you dare mess with me or my loved ones or you'll be sorry" side etc.)...Guess I just don't feel that I have to put "everything out there" all the time. I enjoy being a "wallflower" and "blending" into the "woodwork" a lot. How about you? Good discussion. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 04:10 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
I have my favorite subjects, my "causes" and can get a bit dramatic about them, but mostly am quieter around my family and associates. I'm the one of the group that gets asked what I'm thinking about, the most. I meditate and don't know how many of the others do so, regularly so I suspect that it has to be the reason I'm one of the more laid-back ones.

Well, then again I have tended to be all of my life. I remember at one huge, family reunion on the Texas coast that one aunt commented how my cousin, Curtis was this way, too and said she couldn't "hardly get a rise outta him."
My mom then exclaimed that I was the same way.

There is a time and place for everything under the sun. Drama has its place. If someone is about to walk off a cliff, to exaggerate the point then drama is a given. Some folks won't wake up or pay attention with a message of a subdued tone.
I feel the same way. Out of necessity (severe anxiety), I've had to cultivate a calmer way of reacting to the goings-on around me. Like you, I have my hot-button issues that I can be quite vocal about, but I generally have a live-and-let-live attitude.

What you said about there being a time and a place is dead on. The drama kings and queens in my life don't seem to get that. I once told an overdramatic ex of mine that essentially he was crying wolf and that people would take him less seriously as a result should something really bad happen.

I guess I don't really see anything positive about drama. What dramatic people call "passionate", I see as illogical, and sometimes downright comical. Can't take such people seriously.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Doll Eyes...Thanks for your posts. How do you think that people might describe you? (Most of the time anyway!)...I think people probably view me as "nice" and friendly but a little on the "reserved side." I don't think anyone would really call me "callous" or "uncaring." But I'm definitely on the quiet-side most of the time. I'm not an "in your face" kind of person...It's probably easy to forget that I'm "even around" half the time! I don't like to go out and "make noise" or "create waves" or be the absolute center of attention!...But I have many different "sides." Sometimes I let "more" of me "come out" depending on who I'm with and each individual situation...How about you? People seem surprised when they see other "facets" to me. (Like my "comic" side or my "philosopher" side or my "ambitious" side or my: "Don't you dare mess with me or my loved ones or you'll be sorry" side etc.)...Guess I just don't feel that I have to put "everything out there" all the time. I enjoy being a "wallflower" and "blending" into the "woodwork" a lot. How about you? Good discussion. Thanks!
hello

probably not 'laid back' but 'quiet, reserved, polite, standoffish.' I am a lot like you in some ways, don't necessarily feel comfortable putting it all out there mainly b/c I don't see the point. Most people I work with, probably don't even know where I live, LOL. I am not the 'sharing' type. I don't care if other people tell me things though. Depending on the person that's around I loosen up a little more. If you are not trying to draw attention to yourself as a woman, you pretty much get overlooked by both sexes, IMO. I notice a lot of other women are 'showy,' and they seem to attract a lot of attention from both sexes. I don't know how it is for the men that are 'wallflowers' or stay to themselves.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
being laid back is very good, laying down is not.
most in the loser track think they are being laid back.
risk a lil drama make some good life decisions.
self improvement is dramatic.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:26 AM

Doll Eyes...Thanks for posting. Thanks for describing yourself...It's weird when I'm around people who "talk out loud" in boisterous voices without regard for anyone else around them!...For some reason I've always been "big" on having boundaries and trying to show respect and consideration for other peoples' boundaries too. When I'm out in public I don't feel that the whole world wants to "hear me talk!"...So I try to keep my conversations on the "quiet side" when I'm in "group situations." I don't want or need to attract a lot of attention..Guess you could say that I am probably after "quality" versus "quantity" when it comes to friends. I don't need to be the "belle of the ball" or popular...In fact it would be too much of a "burden" on me if I did become popular!...Years ago I used to teach "growth-oriented" classes. I enjoyed teaching the classes. But people lined-up after each class to talk to me in private and ask for "individual help." (As if I was a "guru" or ???) This was really weird and hard for me! Someone else might have loved all of the attention and "line-ups" but I just wanted to say "thank you" and go home when my classes were over!...Guess I'm just not into "PR" or politics all that much! But I didn't want to be mean or rude or hurt anyone's feelings so I stuck around for all of the "line-ups" after my classes. But I kept telling everyone that I was not a "guru" and encouraged them to "think for themselves" when it came to finding solutions to their problems!

Old 04-07-2012, 11:49 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Carizona, this is interesting because I am outspoken in my writing, but not IRL. Its like a different personality.

I dont get into politics with co-workers, so I guess thats my outlet here. It makes sense in a way because workplace etiquette is important to me.

I also dont like people who are loud on their cell phones, in public places for example. At Kroger sometimes you will hear people all animated and loud on the phone...just odd imo.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:22 PM

dreamofmonterey...I don't like to be around people who talk loudly on their cell-phones either. YUK! ...I go off by myself someplace when I need to talk on my phone and talk quietly and privately...I don't want or need an audience! And I don't want to "bother" people around me either!...The way some people act today reminds me of "show and tell" time in prechool or kindergarten!...It's: "Look at me!" "See me!" "Hear me!" I'm "all and everything!"...They don't seem to really have any boundaries between "who they are" and the rest of the world! How do you feel about it? Thanks!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:40 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Yes!. Just yesterday shopping with a friend and a group of loud obnoxious people were in the store. I could see if they were teens, these people were in their 50's and loud and rude.
No manners. It's like they were raised in a barn, lol.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

'Nough said?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 AM

It's hard to be around "highly reactionary people!" They can make anything and everything a "Great Big Deal!"...It's like opening-up the door and having 100 mile-an-hour "wind-gusts" rush-in that push and slam the door up-against the wall!...Whoosh! Swoosh! LOOK-OUT! Take "cover" so you don't get "hit" or "blown away!"...Obviously people who "get this way" don't have any realization about the intensity of their emotions and the "affect" on other people...It's all a "cyclone" to them! And "earth-shattering!" Monumental! "Larger than life!" ...When I had to call family and friends to tell them that my husband had passed-away I didn't want to "overwhelm" or "overload" anyone with the intensity of my emotions...I wanted to be "civil" and considerate of others. Of course I felt sad and I was still "in-shock." But I didn't want to take anyone on a HUGE "roller-coaster ride" either and "manipulate" their emotions to an "infinite degree!" (Just because I was "hurting" at the time.)...How do you feel about it? Thanks to Curmudgeon for his "stomp-out drama" sign! Right-on!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health