Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 05:32 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,091 times

Advertisements

What are therapeutic techniques and general ways to boost security in masculinity and self-image? What are ways to feel affirmation and to feel you are meeting your gender role?

I constantly view myself different than MOST other guys. And am constantly comparing myself. How do I stop doing this and do things that make me feel good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times
Working out may help. At the very least it will boost your testosterone levels and improve such things as sleep, appetite, and memory.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Working out may help. At the very least it will boost your testosterone levels and improve such things as sleep, appetite, and memory.
Already do it

Old 04-06-2012, 07:32 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,498,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
What are therapeutic techniques and general ways to boost security in masculinity and self-image? What are ways to feel affirmation and to feel you are meeting your gender role?

I constantly view myself different than MOST other guys. And am constantly comparing myself. How do I stop doing this and do things that make me feel good?
Stop comparing would be a good start

Adopt my attitude..."Take me as I am, or don't take me at all, either way I don't give a stuff" That'll make you feel good

There, that problem's solved, any more?

Old 04-06-2012, 06:02 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,169 times
^^^ exactly.
stop comparing yourself to other people.
be yourself.
be original.
that's what makes a great guy.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:03 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
"Meeting your gender role?" What does that even mean?

Btw, any exercise that starts with comparing yourself to other people is usually doomed.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:13 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

join the army

Old 04-07-2012, 06:00 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
Define what you mean by "different" and I think you can get some more precise answers. I can tell you that I was troubled by being "different" long ago and far, far away but then it came to pass that I was glad I was "different" and would have it no other way. I became proud of what and who I was despite that it did not fit the norm. While not a male, I have been around long enough to have seen a lot, lived a lot and you'll be OK. So, "different", what specifically are we talking about?

Old 04-09-2012, 12:14 PM

I don't know.

So I live in a small rural community. And gosh, everyone always seemed the same. Mostly white, middle or upper middle class kids.

I used to get picked on for the dumbest crap in high school. Kids would start something because I was dating a Hispanic girl or try to start something cause I am skinny.

And this high school was like 93% Caucasian.

I just don't feel like I get enough male affirmation.

I don't feel like I get enough respect because of my body type. Im guessing because there arent that many skinny guys out there. And I might be skinny but I have some muscle.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:18 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
What do you do for physical exercise and what other activities do you enjoy? Skinny? Probably jealous to some degree and I bet you can probably eat everything and not gain weight. What do wish you were like? What do see in other males that you feel you are lacking in? What do you consider "masculine"? Does your job make you feel less "masculine"? And WARNING do not constantly compare yourself to others because that creates a bad situation because that ranges from the macho guys feeling superior for no real reasons and yourself for feeling lesser than I bet you are. If you are younger, sometimes it takes a while to find where you fit in the big picture. We rarely see ourselves as others see us and are often our worse critics. There has to be a list of positive attributes that you have. Concentrate on being healthy and active. Find a passion other than comparing yourself to others. Getting older, while it creates new problems, still comes as a blessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health