Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 12:37 PM

567 posts, read 1,012,341 times

Advertisements

Every morning when I wake up, my whole mentality on life in general is just completely negative. I think about all the bad things that have happened over the past few months and it just drags me down even more. The thing is, around 11am or so I start to feel better and feel as if I can get through the day.

I have a great job but I still have a hard time getting motivated to do anything in the morning because of this mental state.

Is it just I'm not a morning person or could it be something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 03:36 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
I don't know, but I'm the complete opposite. I'm much happier and optimistic about things in the morning. Add coffee to that I think I can take on the world. In fact my husband and I laugh about "coffee optimism" and I never settle on a plan I've made at 10 a.m. because I'll usually feel different about it all at 4 p.m.

By the end of the day I'm often out of energy and discouraged about everything. Interesting how people can be so different.....

Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Biochemistry. With clinical depression, there are "nocturnal" variations. Some people feel better (relatively) as the day goes on, some people feel worse.
I'm no morning person, but I'm not clear enough to have negative or positive thoughts if I must get up in the morning. When depressed, I had periods where I'd wake up very early and feel sort of OK for a while, then go downhill as the day went on until I was exhausted and drained and only wanting to lie down and stare at the wall after my evening shift.
I'm still not a morning person, and fortunately only have to get up in the morning when I'm on vacation (ironic eh).

Old 04-16-2012, 07:04 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,199 times
If im suffering with being anxious or having anxiety...mornings are the worst for me.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
I HAD this exact problem and recently, but overcame it . . .I started consciously stopping the negative thoughts and adopted new morning routines that were more pleasurable and positive . . .I also did a lot of other stuff to assist me but the main thing was realizing I had gotten into a bad habit and that I could turn it around.

There are many tricks you can use to change up your life - you just have to be willing and be someone creative and not rigid - and not addicted to the payoff of misery - so motivated to change, basically.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:25 PM

Also, instead of feeling resentful for what was going on or what I did not have that I wanted, I started "acting as if" there would be a reason for my current experiences - it's a spiritual approach, and it worked for me. I know a lot of people have aversion to "acting as if" but I found it useful, especially in the circumstance of waking up unhappy every day.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:43 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Also, instead of feeling resentful for what was going on or what I did not have that I wanted, I started "acting as if" there would be a reason for my current experiences - it's a spiritual approach, and it worked for me. I know a lot of people have aversion to "acting as if" but I found it useful, especially in the circumstance of waking up unhappy every day.
This is an excellent post. I have noticed with aging and the downslide of the world that it is more difficult to drag myself up and be positive but lately I have taken "the bull by the horns" and got up, decided to get moving and take a walk and decide what I will accomplish for the day and stop being concerned about those things of which I cannot control.

It is not easy at all to do the "acting as if" but once you get into the habit, it becomes a way of life. And, one important thing for me is to set some mini-goals all the time so I am moving forward and can measure whatever it is for success and everything beyond the mini-goal is a major score!

Old 04-18-2012, 03:30 PM

One more very simple technique that helped me is "The Silva Method" - getting into an alpha state and substituting negative thoughts with positive thoughts. Very easy to learn and works immediately.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 AM

202 posts, read 472,819 times
Positive affirmations help me greatly in the morning.

Wake up and start talking positive things, out loud, right away.

"This is the day The Lord made and I am glad in it!"

"I am going to have a great day!"

"Today I am not going to let anything bother me!"

"It's a wonderful day and I am going to help someone else today!"

"I have a lot to be thankful for and I will stay in joy all day!"

Old 04-19-2012, 09:59 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times
I felt exactly the same way...it is definitely your brain chemistry. I have been on Cymbalta for a few years now and never feel that way anymore. Talk to a doctor ASAP!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health