Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:59 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize you had 6 more years of sobriety than I did.

I have nothing to add to what you already have.

Carry on.
sure its cool, I am starting to feel a bit better. I get in these funks and I just cant explain it, it hit me out of nowhere and you would think after 14 years I would not get them but I do. I dont get them often like the first 2 years, actually the first year I was a total wreck. But addiction is patient and will creep back up every 6 months or so I get a bad day. Its really crazy, my mind just thinks ohh I want to escape life. Its hard. I have also substituted the first few years with other things like food, complusive exercise and I have done a cycle or two of low mild steriods so it comes out in other ways also. Looks life is tough I deal with it. Marilyn

You know I am very into and have been for a long time bodybuilding/weight lifting and this has been a big diversion and basically another form of addiction for me so at least I have something. I am a compulsive person so its got to be something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 01:11 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Sounds like an internal condition.

Glad you're feeling better.

If youve conquered food addiction, you should post some things in the diet and exercise sub. Your experience may be helpful to some... that in turn will help you.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Sounds like an internal condition.

Glad you're feeling better.

If youve conquered food addiction, you should post some things in the diet and exercise sub. Your experience may be helpful to some... that in turn will help you.
well my food addiction was more like deprivation. I would starve myself and see how long I could go to extremes. Like weightlifting and bodybuiding. I am an extreme person. Thanks MCgowdog!!! Im feeling better no more urge it has now passed for today!

Old 04-22-2012, 02:49 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Congtrats on staying sober 14 years. I am sure it has not been an easy road for you. I am glad you decided to come here and vent instead of getting high. We all have our good days and bad days. But some have it worse than others. Keep your head up and don't loose faith. Good Luck.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I appreciate your comments, I have over 14 years sober!! Yes sober 14 years, so I am pretty darn serious, just having a bad fu#king day! I think you get that.
Yeah, go fishing, stevemorse. I think there are still small brown trout in the Saddle River!

I hope the end of your day was better than the beginning.

Last night I was at the A&P and I sat in my car a moment to return a text to my daughter. I became aware of a voice nearby, and then I realized that the guy gathering up the shopping carts was screaming to himself.

He was yelling, "The District Manager is evil! Evil! He must be punished!"

I guess he was having a bad day, too!

Old 04-22-2012, 04:46 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
sure its cool, I am starting to feel a bit better. I get in these funks and I just cant explain it, it hit me out of nowhere and you would think after 14 years I would not get them but I do. I dont get them often like the first 2 years, actually the first year I was a total wreck. But addiction is patient and will creep back up every 6 months or so I get a bad day. Its really crazy, my mind just thinks ohh I want to escape life. Its hard. I have also substituted the first few years with other things like food, complusive exercise and I have done a cycle or two of low mild steriods so it comes out in other ways also. Looks life is tough I deal with it. Marilyn

You know I am very into and have been for a long time bodybuilding/weight lifting and this has been a big diversion and basically another form of addiction for me so at least I have something. I am a compulsive person so its got to be something.
Oh good, just read this, and I'm glad you ARE feeling better.

My only addiction (not the only thing I've used, but my only ADDICTION) was nicotine. My quit-smoking guy said something that stuck with me: Addiction is a liar, and it will come back and tell you things that aren't true--such as how great it will be if you smoke a cigarette again. Or crack.

Lie!

Old 04-22-2012, 04:59 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
You might consider doing a liver detox.
Or if the detox is too much (it can be) at least use herbs to support your liver.
Milk Thistle and Dandelion are two to check out.
Or YOGI TEA makes an excellent tea called DETOX (find it at the health food store) which is another option and an easy and inexpensive one.
And / or drinking a large glass of hot water with a lemon squeezed into it every morning before you eat can be a very good thing. This i highly recommend for anyone. It's a really good way to start the day.
Apple cider vinegar in water is also a very good way to support liver function. (2 teaspoons in 2 cups of water).
If you're using steroids (even mild / low dose) you're taxing your liver.
They can also create general imbalance. Using hormones of any kind is, imo, not the wisest thing to do but if you're going to, at the very least support your liver to mitigate the negative effects.
In Chinese medicine anger is associated with the liver whether it's due to stagnation of chi or depletion or both.
Congrats on getting through this difficult day and on your many years of sobriety.
Next thing to "tackle" is your tendency to be so extreme.
Gentleness is another kind of strength that can be even more difficult to "achieve" (i think most especially for men) but it will help you to become a more balanced and happy man.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,973 times
Trust me when I say that drugs really do make it worse. Congrats on staying sober - keep it that way.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:08 AM

thanks for all the support. I made it, and have no urge today. Actually I have an urge to get back to slamming the iron hard, going to food shop for some healthy muscle building food and veggies and get back on track. I kind of let myself roll in pity for a few days.

Get out and start living life again back to the old steam machine Marilyn!!!

Thanks ALL of you, it helps for me to vent. I really cant talk to people too close to me they panic too easy.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
You might consider doing a liver detox.
Or if the detox is too much (it can be) at least use herbs to support your liver.
Milk Thistle and Dandelion are two to check out.
Or YOGI TEA makes an excellent tea called DETOX (find it at the health food store) which is another option and an easy and inexpensive one.
And / or drinking a large glass of hot water with a lemon squeezed into it every morning before you eat can be a very good thing. This i highly recommend for anyone. It's a really good way to start the day.
Apple cider vinegar in water is also a very good way to support liver function. (2 teaspoons in 2 cups of water).
If you're using steroids (even mild / low dose) you're taxing your liver.
They can also create general imbalance. Using hormones of any kind is, imo, not the wisest thing to do but if you're going to, at the very least support your liver to mitigate the negative effects.
In Chinese medicine anger is associated with the liver whether it's due to stagnation of chi or depletion or both.
Congrats on getting through this difficult day and on your many years of sobriety.
Next thing to "tackle" is your tendency to be so extreme.
Gentleness is another kind of strength that can be even more difficult to "achieve" (i think most especially for men) but it will help you to become a more balanced and happy man.
I know all about the liver and steriods. Yes I did do anavar I am a women so never hit anything hard but it does affect the liver. I am not doing too many or actually going overboard with this. I need it too be natural and more me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health