Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:55 PM

15,798 posts, read 21,314,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
People who feel they've been crapped on blame everything on luck. Good luck, bad luck. Nothing's their fault. People who feel they've been handed a good hand know you make your own "luck".

All you have to do to feel you've had a crappy hand dealt to you is think of the holocaust survivors that think they're the luckiest people in the world.

My Holocaust survivor great aunt (by marriage) would show you what a crappy hand is (with her own, tattooed, 90 year old arm!) is you dared say something so foolish for her.

People tell me that I'm lucky all the time for beating cancer. I tell them that there's absolutely nothing lucky about getting cancer at 23, beating it, and then living the rest of your crippled with fear and unable to do some of the things that were the most important to you (have children, join the Peace Corps, change jobs). Surviving with a lifetime of survivor's guilt and tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills is not lucky.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:10 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,969,778 times
Quote:
I believe you are 100% wrong about any of those survivors thinking they are unlucky. Please, show me one and prove me wrong.

We can argue all day about "luck", but the reality is that those things you are describing are called "life". And everyone is at the mercy of it. Some people get cancer. Some people get murdered. Some people are born to wealthy parents. But most unhappy people choose to absolve themselves of all responsibility for their lives. They blame everyone else, and spend their lives wallowing in self pity. They also think that everyone that is happy has a good life. Usually, those people just make a choice to be happy.

Here's another name for you: Helen Keller. Had the worst luck ever when it came to "life", yet chose to overcome it and lived a happy life.
Can you show me one survivor who feels they were lucky? I mean one that you know?

I think you are very wrong when you say most unhappy people absolve themselves of all responsibility for their lives. That is a sweeping generalization. There are plenty of people out there who would say...if I had it to do over, hence they KNOW they could have done things differently. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

It's unfair to say they blame everyone else and spend their lives wallowing in self pity - yet another sweeping generalization. I do blame the person who sexually assaulted me for doing so. That is against the law and a violation. Does this mean I blame everyone else for my life? Some people deserve to be blamed for what they have done. Child abusers, killers, and just creepy people in general. It is not as simple as you make it seem.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
You are obviously a person that sees the worst in every situation. So I'd make the leap that you would think those people would not think themselves lucky. I'd also guess that you don't know anyone that's survived. I do. I know someone that survived the horrific plane crash in Iowa in 1989. They had some emotional trauma, but considered themselves FAR luckier than those that perished. They live their lives to reflect that.
And you are obviously a person who thinks he or she KNOWS ME. You don't. You read what I type on the Internet. You have no clue about where I was born, how I was raised, what education I have, what jobs I've done, where I've lived, etc. You have been corrected by someone who actually KNOWS a holocaust survivor.

I don't know anyone who has survived the holocaust which is why I said I would not make the kind of statements about those survivors you do. I'd have to hear it from them.

I don't know how many people survived that plane crash, but if more than just one I'd like to hear their stories too. How they feel. You can speak with some authority on the person you know who did survive.

Anyway, you make statements as if they are fact when you do not even know the people involved - and that includes me.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My Holocaust survivor great aunt (by marriage) would show you what a crappy hand is (with her own, tattooed, 90 year old arm!) is you dared say something so foolish for her.

People tell me that I'm lucky all the time for beating cancer. I tell them that there's absolutely nothing lucky about getting cancer at 23, beating it, and then living the rest of your crippled with fear and unable to do some of the things that were the most important to you (have children, join the Peace Corps, change jobs). Surviving with a lifetime of survivor's guilt and tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills is not lucky.
Well, of course you are right, but I think people often speak without really thinking. Maybe they don't know what else to say. This is not to excuse their lack of thought, but maybe some people are not critical thinkers.

When my Dad died there were the "he's in a better place" type comments, but how do they know or I know that's true? I think at times people just say things because that's what they think they are supposed to say or they think their comments are helpful.

I guess there are more stupid things to say, and maybe a person just has to be glad that not even dumber things get said.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:01 PM

7,868 posts, read 10,235,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

ignore ringwise , anyone who spouts such crass offensive garbage , is incapable of knowing how ignorant they are

Old 05-03-2012, 03:02 PM

7,868 posts, read 10,235,750 times
Quote:
And you obviously blame all the bad in your life on "luck". To each his own.
you know me so well

Old 05-03-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
you know me so well
Some people are critical thinkers (like you) and some people are not.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:36 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,251,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Your first paragraph really isn't true. Brangelina's kids come to mind. They were plucked out of billions and their legacy will be far different than many children who suffer, are abused, etc through no fault of their own. You don't "make your own luck." What's that saying? Something about preparation meeting opportunity? Sure, we're responsible for the preparation, but not everyone gets the same opportunity.

Regarding your second, do you actually KNOW any holocaust survivors? Are you of one of the groups who was victimized? (And it wasn't just the Jews). Before I would make a statement like that I'd actually have to KNOW and talk with a survivor who knows other survivors to gauge how they really feel. I don't think anyone who is a holocaust survivor would rank as one of the luckiest in the world, as to go through that and survive would have been a horror. Then there is that thing survivor guilt some experience, like the one person on a plane who is not killed in a jet crash. So I would not begin to presume how others who have gone through experiences I have not really feel, unless a group of them told me themselves.

Hehe....I can't WAIT till those kids are old enough to write a tell-all book...you KNOW it's going to happen.

What's the bet they grow up with at least SOME resentment for being taken from their natural families and shoved into the unnatural Hollywierd life they are forced to live now.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Hehe....I can't WAIT till those kids are old enough to write a tell-all book...you KNOW it's going to happen.

What's the bet they grow up with at least SOME resentment for being taken from their natural families and shoved into the unnatural Hollywierd life they are forced to live now.
Well, they may grow up with some resentment (maybe), but once Brangelina kicks the bucket they're not going to be resentful.

I think they are very fortunate in some ways, and especially when you compare them to children who are unwanted, abused, etc.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:25 PM

88,113 posts, read 83,961,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
you were in the twin towers in new york in 1993 and sept 11th 2001 ?
Yes. I worked in One World Trade Center for almost 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health