U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2012, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Love, Epicenter
399 posts, read 522,180 times
Reputation: 385

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
The suggestion was (is) to get out of your head.
A truly awakened state of being is beyond conceptual thinking .. beyond mental representations of reality.
Getting a handle on that as well as being centered and releasing ambitious tendencies and future (and past, for that matter) orientations tends to mitigate any mental anxiety about the "external" world although for most that will always be an issue to greater and lesser degrees.
Moving moment to moment naturally and spontaneously, despite the fact that the mind will balk and despite the fact that it's difficult to recover such a state of being, alleviates the struggle that you addressed in your original post.
Just sayin.


"A man's true life is the way in which he puts off the lie imposed by others on him. Stripped, naked, natural, he is what he is. This is a matter of being, and not of becoming. The lie cannot become the truth, the personality cannot become your soul. There is no way to make the nonessential the essential. The nonessential remains nonessential and the essential remains essential, they are not convertible. And striving towards truth is nothing but creating more confusion. The truth has not to be achieved. It cannot be achieved, it is already the case. Only the lie has to be dropped. All aims and ends and ideals and goals and ideologies, religions and systems of improvement and betterment, are lies. Beware of them. Recognize the fact that, as you are, you are a lie. Manipulated, cultivated by others. Striving after truth is a distraction and a postponement. It is the lie's way to hide. See the lie, look deep into the lie of your personality. Because to see the lie is to cease to lie. No longer to lie is to seek no more for any truth--there is no need. The moment the lie disappears, truth is there in all its beauty and radiance. In the seeing of the lie it disappears, and what is left is the truth."


-a zen master-
I know what you meant. This is what I'm doing and continue to do. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2012, 04:49 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,712 posts, read 10,291,602 times
Reputation: 7553
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
I guess I can post some google links...

Existential Anxiety

For me, it's feeling like I can do anything, making a decision to do something and wondering if I made the right choice for my life. For example, I chose to use my talents for healthcare, specifically nursing. I could've done psych, social work, philosophy, joined the nunnery (I'm no longer Catholic), study the magic arts, further develop my empath ability and psychic ability, dedicate my time to writing a book about my life...and I chose nursing. I love it, I find it fun, I like the challenge that comes with interacting with patients because it makes me tap further into my own inner resources. But I always wonder if I'm taking the right direction for my life. It's always a matter of wondering, "Am I on the right track to fulfilling my purpose and adding ample meaning to my life?" "Am I growing spiritually through my decisions?" And if something happens in the future (like, say, I fail the NCLEX-RN or something drastic happens in the future and I die) will I have completed my life purpose in that time? I'm very aware of my own mortality as a result because my life and my purpose is something I want to see through to the end, whichever way the wind blows. But, whenever I don't get the exact results that I had expected, it can be disheartening because I wonder if I messed up somewhere. So in a way, it's a lack of faith...

"Existential anxiety is the apprehension of choosing without clear guidelines and the acknowledgment that those choices may result in failure."

So people are in denial about failing and second guessing their choices, is that what this is? How is that 'E.A.' I thought everyone did that.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 08:23 AM
 
Location: St. Louis
9,944 posts, read 17,861,267 times
Reputation: 14226
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
I recently started a blog to transcribe my experiences but has anyone else been through existential anxiety and is willing to share their stories here? What changed for you and what was the turning point in your life if there was one?

I'm still walking with mine and for me it's a feeling of uncertainty about my future in the grand scheme of things. Like, am I moving in the right direction? How will i know beyond a doubt? Am I fulfilling my purpose? Am I giving ample meaning to my life? Am I still allowing myself to be open to life?

I trust my heart and intuition alot as even though I never got all of my expected results in the growth department, the person I am today is someone I've come to truly respect and admire. I really am growing. So maybe what it is, is that my ego is attached to the avoidance of pain and I'm always looking for ways to avoid it in The future. Maybe I'm trying to safeguard. But i also feel like trials are necessary for me i this life and that the direction I'm moving in will requires obstacles and hardships so as to continue on in my life process...
Prinie, I am not being condescending when I say that you are an incredible young person. My dd is your age and she's mostly interested in having fun, (though fortunately she is keeping her grades up.) Let's just say that you sound very "evolved." I say that because I believe the goal for most of us is comfort and avoidance of pain, even if we don't call it that.

However, while I do think it is useful to keep these questions in front of you and use them as a compass, I don't think it is useful to be anxious about it. It's not like you can achieve your life's mission all at one time--it will slowly reveal itself to you as you go through your life, and sometimes it comes in bits and pieces and at the end of your lifespan you'll still be part of it. I think the two things that will guide you in knowing whether you're on the right path is knowing that you made decisions to the best of your ability and not just on a whim, and knowing that you made them in love. Love for yourself and other people. However, you will never know for sure if you're on your mission as none of us are not to know that.

I don't know why we're not to know, but it must be very important that we don't. I have always been fascinated by accounts of near-death experiences and people will come back and relate experiences of having been through the tunnel and meeting friends and family and even seeing God or other religious figures that they expected to see. In several accounts that I read, some said that their mission was revealed to them, but here's the interesting part--they could no longer remember that part of the experience. They could remember much of the rest of it, but not that--they could even remember that they were shown their mission but it's like the mission itself was blanked out. All said that they had a renewed sense of purpose though and felt strongly that they needed to come back to accomplish it, even though their preference would have been to "stay home."

So I guess what I"m saying is, continue doing as you're doing and you'll be fine. Continue to trust your intuition and your heart and you cannot go wrong. And remember that just because someone chose a path that you admire, it probably won't be yours. By that I mean that you may admire someone like Mother Teresa, but if you tried to do that you'd probably find that it isn't your path at all. But then again, life may hold a similar path for you--just don't go putting up your own obstacles--life will do that for you, I guarantee it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Love, Epicenter
399 posts, read 522,180 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Prinie, I am not being condescending when I say that you are an incredible young person. My dd is your age and she's mostly interested in having fun, (though fortunately she is keeping her grades up.) Let's just say that you sound very "evolved." I say that because I believe the goal for most of us is comfort and avoidance of pain, even if we don't call it that.

However, while I do think it is useful to keep these questions in front of you and use them as a compass, I don't think it is useful to be anxious about it. It's not like you can achieve your life's mission all at one time--it will slowly reveal itself to you as you go through your life, and sometimes it comes in bits and pieces and at the end of your lifespan you'll still be part of it. I think the two things that will guide you in knowing whether you're on the right path is knowing that you made decisions to the best of your ability and not just on a whim, and knowing that you made them in love. Love for yourself and other people. However, you will never know for sure if you're on your mission as none of us are not to know that.

I don't know why we're not to know, but it must be very important that we don't. I have always been fascinated by accounts of near-death experiences and people will come back and relate experiences of having been through the tunnel and meeting friends and family and even seeing God or other religious figures that they expected to see. In several accounts that I read, some said that their mission was revealed to them, but here's the interesting part--they could no longer remember that part of the experience. They could remember much of the rest of it, but not that--they could even remember that they were shown their mission but it's like the mission itself was blanked out. All said that they had a renewed sense of purpose though and felt strongly that they needed to come back to accomplish it, even though their preference would have been to "stay home."

So I guess what I"m saying is, continue doing as you're doing and you'll be fine. Continue to trust your intuition and your heart and you cannot go wrong. And remember that just because someone chose a path that you admire, it probably won't be yours. By that I mean that you may admire someone like Mother Teresa, but if you tried to do that you'd probably find that it isn't your path at all. But then again, life may hold a similar path for you--just don't go putting up your own obstacles--life will do that for you, I guarantee it.
I feel this. Thank you, stepka. I'll make a confession to you since you hit the nail on the head.

When i was almost 19, I had a spiritual experience that showed me that God is, beyond a doubt, real and lives inside of us all. I then started having very blatant communicative dreams, had an OBE shortly after and then met my guardian angel. But I started following the ways of others believing subconsciously that their way was the way of true spiritual growth and admiring it. I was miserable to the point of asking God every day to just take my life and what He did was give me hope which urged me to keep walking. I had to learn through hard experience that, like you said, that isn't my path at all and it's impossible to compare.

I get anxious now because I really do feel like I'm in a rush still. Sometimes life feels slow. Like I'm always waiting for the rest of the world to "catch up", but we're right where we need to be, as am I. What you say is true, our entire lives are our path. Jaijai's also right about getting out of my head (I hope he reads this and knows that I just indirectly thanked him ). My heart pulls me in one direction and my mind gets anxious over trying to organize it instead of just allowing it all to unfold naturally as it should.

Thanks again stepka, I feel you got it on the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,190 posts, read 6,103,074 times
Reputation: 2053
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
I know what you meant. This is what I'm doing and continue to do. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2012, 01:10 PM
 
Location: FL
1,727 posts, read 2,242,759 times
Reputation: 1047
I don't think we can ever really "know" if we've made the right choices.
I think the best we can do is make the best choice we can using the knowledge we have at any given time and then continue working to make the best of whatever arises from that decision.

If we find that it was a bad decision, then it's time to make another decision. Do we back track and change direction, or do we just stay on the same path and make the best of it.

Life is full of decisions. Sometimes there is no clear "right" choice. Sometimes we have to choose the lesser of two evils. Sometime we have to do something equivalent to flipping a coin.

No point in beating yourself up over a bad decision, just learn from it and move forward.

I agree with you when you say that obstacles are necessary. We cannot grow if we do not face challenges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2012, 01:11 PM
 
Location: FL
1,727 posts, read 2,242,759 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
"Existential anxiety is the apprehension of choosing without clear guidelines and the acknowledgment that those choices may result in failure."

So people are in denial about failing and second guessing their choices, is that what this is? How is that 'E.A.' I thought everyone did that.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Everybody does do that. Some of us just dwell on it more than others!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Beautiful hills
248 posts, read 411,847 times
Reputation: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
This:

"Dreams and nightmares
by PAULO COELHO on MAY 5, 2012
No one will realistically think that you can make a living out of literature in Brazil. I faced many difficulties. When I was young, my parents in a desperate act of love, as they cared for me, sent me to a mental institution. They thought I was mad, as I wanted to be a writer. However, I was absolutely convinced about what I wanted to be.

The fact that you know your dreams is not enough. It is not good, living with the fact that you have it in you. You have to think of measures to manifest your dreams and be brave enough to pay the price of it. In a way, I postponed my dreams, as it took me many years to write my first book — a journey book.

There are times when you do not succeed in something you believe in. That stage is what you call a nightmare.
Initially with The Alchemist, I could not find a publisher. I felt hurt.

If you are hurt about something that is meaningless to you, you can blame anybody else for it. But it is quite complicated to be hurt about something that is meaningful to you. Then you get confused, as you know the dream is there. And the dream is not going to leave you as long as you live. When you die, there is a small child within you, who will ask, why didn’t you follow me? And you have to explain. Therefore, it is better to take the risk, to be hurt, to go through some nightmare to fulfill you dreams."


I feel I might've found some encouragement right on time.
I love Paulo Coelho's books. I feel like he talks to his readers in between the lines.
He and Eckhart Tolle are my two favorites at this point in my life.
If you haven't read "New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle, I highly recommended.
I have it on CD, so I listen to it every few months, every time discovering something new or remembering something I forgot.
I read "Alchemist" several times too. It came at the right time in my life and helped me make a decision that changed my life, although not without struggles, for the better.
Everything comes when it suppose to come
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 02:49 AM
 
Location: Love, Epicenter
399 posts, read 522,180 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post
I love Paulo Coelho's books. I feel like he talks to his readers in between the lines.
He and Eckhart Tolle are my two favorites at this point in my life.
If you haven't read "New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle, I highly recommended.
I have it on CD, so I listen to it every few months, every time discovering something new or remembering something I forgot.
I read "Alchemist" several times too. It came at the right time in my life and helped me make a decision that changed my life, although not without struggles, for the better.
Everything comes when it suppose to come
Yes, I'm continuously being reminded of this.

I'm okay now. I made a decision not to worry about my future as it has a tendency to create mountains out of mole holes. The fear of a thing is worse than the thing itself. So...

sigh, deep breath...life goes on.

Thanks also Zen Dragonfly. I'm not into Eckhart Tolle at all. I tried him out when I was 15 and again when i was 19 because as the theory goes, "with age comes understanding?" I didn't enjoy it at either age so I put him to rest. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 05:52 AM
 
Location: St. Louis
9,944 posts, read 17,861,267 times
Reputation: 14226
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
Yes, I'm continuously being reminded of this.

I'm okay now. I made a decision not to worry about my future as it has a tendency to create mountains out of mole holes. The fear of a thing is worse than the thing itself. So...

sigh, deep breath...life goes on.

Thanks also Zen Dragonfly. I'm not into Eckhart Tolle at all. I tried him out when I was 15 and again when i was 19 because as the theory goes, "with age comes understanding?" I didn't enjoy it at either age so I put him to rest. lol
Funny, I tried reading The Lord of the Rings when I was 15 and then when I was 19 and then when I was 27 I devoured them. You never know. I had a heck of a time getting past the birthday party--it just went on and on so finally I skipped past it and got into it just fine. Other books are like that too--I love Victor Hugo's Les Miserables, but it's so long and at times he goes on and on--apparently his editors suggested that he cut some of that down but he wouldn't. So I just skip past all the research he did about the sewers of Paris and all. I haven't read Eckhart Tolle, but maybe it's time I looked into it, since I loved the books I've read by Paolo Coelho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top