U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 AM

399 posts, read 522,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Funny, I tried reading The Lord of the Rings when I was 15 and then when I was 19 and then when I was 27 I devoured them. You never know. I had a heck of a time getting past the birthday party--it just went on and on so finally I skipped past it and got into it just fine. Other books are like that too--I love Victor Hugo's Les Miserables, but it's so long and at times he goes on and on--apparently his editors suggested that he cut some of that down but he wouldn't. So I just skip past all the research he did about the sewers of Paris and all. I haven't read Eckhart Tolle, but maybe it's time I looked into it, since I loved the books I've read by Paolo Coelho.
I'm still trying to get through Lord of the Rings. lol After that Tom Bomdasil (Bomdadil? Bombdabil?) character left, I slowed down on my reading. With Eckhart, it's the writing structure. I think for me right now I like the following of character's lives through a series of events. But I'm really done with Eckhart. Lots of people really like him though and really connect to his books. *nods*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 11:14 PM

248 posts, read 411,847 times
Tolle is not like Coelho.
Coelho writes a story with subtle spiritual messages between the lines (or a least that's what I see when I read his books). By the way, some people don't get his books and can't understand why they are so popular

Eckhart Tolle, IMHO, is one of those "things" that comes when "the student is ready". I will say that the first few chapters may seem somewhat slow. Once you get past them, it gets very interesting. And deep.
I recommended "The New Earth" to two of my colleagues, three of us are friends. I received two very different/opposite reactions: for one friend/colleague it was a revelation (just as it was for me), but another friend found it boring and slow. Later, after listening to two of us chat about the book, she gave it another try and said that the book made her take a good look at herself, she didn't like what she saw, so she decided not to continue with the book and never finished it.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post
Tolle is not like Coelho.
Coelho writes a story with subtle spiritual messages between the lines (or a least that's what I see when I read his books). By the way, some people don't get his books and can't understand why they are so popular

Eckhart Tolle, IMHO, is one of those "things" that comes when "the student is ready". I will say that the first few chapters may seem somewhat slow. Once you get past them, it gets very interesting. And deep.
I recommended "The New Earth" to two of my colleagues, three of us are friends. I received two very different/opposite reactions: for one friend/colleague it was a revelation (just as it was for me), but another friend found it boring and slow. Later, after listening to two of us chat about the book, she gave it another try and said that the book made her take a good look at herself, she didn't like what she saw, so she decided not to continue with the book and never finished it.
Idk...considering I've given into this in the past, I feel it's more different strokes for different folks this time around.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:16 PM

9,944 posts, read 17,861,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
Idk...considering I've given into this in the past, I feel it's more different strokes for different folks this time around.
Could be that sure. But the only books I've ever walked away from forever are the ones that are trashy and poorly written. The others I will at least occasionally revisit to see once again if I might be interested. Just started reading one of those today--The Bridge Over the River Kwai and I think I'm going to get into it this time. Besides I have to read it b/c I got to go visit there a few years ago and ride the Death Railway. Can you tell I love my books?

Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Could be that sure. But the only books I've ever walked away from forever are the ones that are trashy and poorly written. The others I will at least occasionally revisit to see once again if I might be interested. Just started reading one of those today--The Bridge Over the River Kwai and I think I'm going to get into it this time. Besides I have to read it b/c I got to go visit there a few years ago and ride the Death Railway. Can you tell I love my books?

Okay, I see what you're saying.

I'll stay open to Eckhart if the time comes that I should happen to stumble upon it and read it again.

Oh wait...I have to had that I will not go out of my way to find it, search for it, google it, amazon search it, or the like. It has to either be handed to me, found on a bus, train, discarded in the road, fall from the heavens, mentioned on the pulpit of some church that I by chance happened to attend or some other truly synchronic occurrence like the rest of my life.

Last edited by soliloquyenlightened; 05-11-2012 at 01:08 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 05:41 PM

9,944 posts, read 17,861,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post

Okay, I see what you're saying.

I'll stay open to Eckhart if the time comes that I should happen to stumble upon it and read it again.

Oh wait...I have to had that I will not go out of my way to find it, search for it, google it, amazon search it, or the like. It has to either be handed to me, found on a bus, train, discarded in the road, fall from the heavens, mentioned on the pulpit of some church that I by chance happened to attend or some other truly synchronic occurrence like the rest of my life.
Which is probably what will happen and then you will start to read it. Has it occurred to you that this is one of those moments? Someone on here suggested you read it b/c it speaks to what you're saying. But then maybe the universe meant for me to read it. LOL. But then it will take one more step to bop you on the head and make you read it and you'll be holed up in your room for days. I truly do believe that things happen when they're meant to and we only have so much control over our destiny which is very little.

Here's an example of what I mean--we live here in the US (? you too?) or another country in the 21st century and much as I always wanted to be, I could not go out and be a mountain man. This is for many reasons. A. I'm not a man. B. I live in MO. C. The west is all settled up and landowners would take great exception to me trapping on their land. D. The wild animals for pelts are all thinned out too much. I could go stay on a dude ranch in CO and ride horses and have some fake cowboys sing me some songs, but it's not exactly what I had in mind. I could go to one of those rondayvooz [sic], and play mountain man for awhile, but I'd know better. No, I must work with what I have here and now and with the circumstances I was born into and the brain I was given, which isn't a bad one but it will not concentrate.

Also, have you ever thought about how few places we're actually allowed to go? You can do most of what you want in your own home but go out into the world and limitations are placed on you everywhere. If you get in your car and drive, you're confined to the roads. There are hiking trails outside the cities but you need to confine yourself to them. If you go into the grocery store, you can't take up space in the liquor dept and drink beer with your friends there all evening. Well you could try it, but I think you get my drift. Wow, all that just to get you to read a book that I haven't even read myself.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Which is probably what will happen and then you will start to read it. Has it occurred to you that this is one of those moments? Someone on here suggested you read it b/c it speaks to what you're saying. But then maybe the universe meant for me to read it. LOL. But then it will take one more step to bop you on the head and make you read it and you'll be holed up in your room for days. I truly do believe that things happen when they're meant to and we only have so much control over our destiny which is very little.

Here's an example of what I mean--we live here in the US (? you too?) or another country in the 21st century and much as I always wanted to be, I could not go out and be a mountain man. This is for many reasons. A. I'm not a man. B. I live in MO. C. The west is all settled up and landowners would take great exception to me trapping on their land. D. The wild animals for pelts are all thinned out too much. I could go stay on a dude ranch in CO and ride horses and have some fake cowboys sing me some songs, but it's not exactly what I had in mind. I could go to one of those rondayvooz [sic], and play mountain man for awhile, but I'd know better. No, I must work with what I have here and now and with the circumstances I was born into and the brain I was given, which isn't a bad one but it will not concentrate.

Also, have you ever thought about how few places we're actually allowed to go? You can do most of what you want in your own home but go out into the world and limitations are placed on you everywhere. If you get in your car and drive, you're confined to the roads. There are hiking trails outside the cities but you need to confine yourself to them. If you go into the grocery store, you can't take up space in the liquor dept and drink beer with your friends there all evening. Well you could try it, but I think you get my drift. Wow, all that just to get you to read a book that I haven't even read myself.
Yes, after Zen posted his post I thought about what you just said in the first paragraph and I went to look for the book as the one thing I hate to hear I did or actually do is run from myself. That's my biggest fear, running away from myself. The book was suppose to be on the bookstand next to my bed and I searched all over my room and couldn't find it. So after you posted I decided to play a game; hence, the last few sentences in my post.

It's a good book, but much of what's in it I feel I already know and have read, learned or had spoken to me at some point. I hope I didn't come off like I was shunning Zen's suggestion as I feel he's someone who's genuinely and lovingly trying to help. After he mentioned the Alchemist (I read it over and over just before the turning point in my life), I realized that I needed to make a decision and trust that whichever way the tide blows, if this is something I truly want, then I'll keep pursuing it and be glad that at least I followed my heart.

I haven't thought about those things at all. But you want to be a "mountain man" so I imagine you're always looking for that extra space and freedom to expand into.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:10 AM

3 posts, read 2,619 times
Existential anxiety is a cause of worry, fear or panic that may occur from the contemplation of life. Existential anxiety arises when people extremely think their life. Medication treatments for anxiety can be helpful.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:13 PM

24,682 posts, read 47,137,924 times
It seems this 'existential anxiety' or 'existential angst' has come to dominate my life. I think it's natural we all feel this way - as the article says, we fear those four things, we fear death, isolation and failure. However, this competitive society puts it into our heads that if we do not 'fulfill our dreams' then we have failed at our life's purpose. The quote by the Zen master is spot on: we need to strip away the pretensions of 'being somebody' or 'doing something important' and just BE instead of constantly trying to DO.

Sometimes I feel/felt this 'existential anxiety' so intensely it hurt. It filled me with both excitement and anxiety which led to insecurity and neuroticism. I used to have a burning desire to be a musician - still do - not because I wanted to be the next huge rock star, but because I truly believed my songs deserved to be played. Ego? Sure. But it led to pressure to fulfill what I thought what my destiny was. Things happened to sabotage that (an OCD thing related to my singing), which in turn have caused me to re-think these ambitions to something more realistic, but not necessarily LESS fulfilling.

My advice to you, and what I've recently been trying to do, is live life as it comes. The other day I realised something: I spend my life constantly WAITING for something, waiting for things to 'get better.' I always think, 'when things get better tomorrow I will TRULY be able to live my life.' You know what? Tomorrow doesn't exist! That's right, the moment is ALL that exist and ALL you will ever have. Can you grab hold of the future with your hand and possess it? All those insurance salespeople are selling you an illusion by playing on the concept of fear, which is tied up to what 'might happen.' How many of the things you fear come to pass? How many moments, the realness of the 'now', have you wasted away in a trance of nauseous nervousness?

Old 06-09-2012, 12:07 AM

18,847 posts, read 32,734,693 times
Wait until you are my age, and have "Existential Depression"...looking at how you really screwed up. That is a lot of **** to deal with. Knowing that your life could have been much different, if you had not screwed it up so much. When it hits me, I try to remember the state of mind I was in, when I made a life changing decision, that in retrospect, was a mistake. But, was it really? Maybe not, given the circumstances when the choice was made. I don't know. 20/20 hindsight...great. Sucks. Big time.

Oh well...moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health