U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you genuinely beleive that EVERYONE has a talent?
Yes. I beleive everyone has a talent. 19 52.78%
No. I do not beleive everyone has a talent. 17 47.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 05:07 PM

13,049 posts, read 16,087,687 times

Advertisements

Doll Eyes...I DO believe that everyone has a talent.....I don't just say that to be positive, but because I believe it to be true....but I also believe that (sadly) a lot of people can never have the chance to apply their talents in life...if not from circumstance, then because they've never discovered, nor had the chance to discover what that talent was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 05:23 PM

8,712 posts, read 10,291,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Doll Eyes...I DO believe that everyone has a talent.....I don't just say that to be positive, but because I believe it to be true....but I also believe that (sadly) a lot of people can never have the chance to apply their talents in life...if not from circumstance, then because they've never discovered, nor had the chance to discover what that talent was.
it's fine if you beleive everyone has a talent. like you said for some people they're not sure what their talents are or haven't had the chance to develop them in whatever area. for other people it's too late altogether.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:06 PM

7,100 posts, read 24,938,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, if that's how you mean it, then no, not everyone has a talent,

Otherwise, a person can also have a talent for persuading people, a talent for fund-raising, a talent for public speaking, etc. I do think we first think of "talent" as an ability for some kind of art form, though. Even in acting--Meryl Streep has a talent for mimicking accents, for example.
There's "talent" and then there is "Outstanding, money making talent"

The two can be widely different. I can play the piano. It took years of a great deal of practice. I have friends that can sit down and play even though they never had a lesson. THEY have talent, I merely know how to do something.

I have a SIL that has a talent for ticking people off. She has a talent for talking..on and on and on and on and on. Add to that a talent for enlarging on gossip, and imagination and you have a person that has a definate talent for irritating others. Most of us couldn't be like that if we tried.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:51 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,383,789 times
If you are basing the talent assumption on only the performing arts then no, of course not. Not everyone has talent for performing. Not to be rude but that would be very silly to think that. And I've never heard anyone say that and mean it regarding the fine or performing arts. I have heard folks say that everyone has a talent or is very good at doing something, at least one thing but they mean that in a much broader sense. One person is good at carpentry, another is a talented baker, someone else is excellent with people...And often our talent is not something that we use to make money with; it could and often is a hobby.

To think everyone is going to be a great performer or artist or that people actually think that seems very naive.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, if that's how you mean it, then no, not everyone has a talent, and I have a valid reason for believing this. My daughter's elementary school had a student talent show every year. Trust me, there was VERY LITTLE talent to be had. Most of the kids chose to do some version of a music-video type dance. They were uncoordinated, had no rhythm, and no sense of how ridiculous they looked. There was some relief every eight or nine numbers when a kid who could actually sing or play the piano or some other instrument or dance ballet came on stage. My daughter and her friends used to do a comedy routine or a comedy sketch, which was also at least a little different than the endless "dances". These were some of the most interminable evenings I have ever endured. I am so glad they are over forever.

Otherwise, a person can also have a talent for persuading people, a talent for fund-raising, a talent for public speaking, etc. I do think we first think of "talent" as an ability for some kind of art form, though. Even in acting--Meryl Streep has a talent for mimicking accents, for example.

LOL @ the talent show kids, they can't help themselves! some of them might be in rap videos now for all you know

sorry to say, but I never thought those other things outside of performing arts were considered 'valid' talents, just good traits. But apparently they are considered to be talents then.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
If you are basing the talent assumption on only the performing arts then no, of course not. Not everyone has talent for performing. Not to be rude but that would be very silly to think that. And I've never heard anyone say that and mean it regarding the fine or performing arts. I have heard folks say that everyone has a talent or is very good at doing something, at least one thing but they mean that in a much broader sense. One person is good at carpentry, another is a talented baker, someone else is excellent with people...And often our talent is not something that we use to make money with; it could and often is a hobby.

To think everyone is going to be a great performer or artist or that people actually think that seems very naive.

I don't find it to be silly: You never heard anyone say they don't consider certain talents to be 'valid?' I have and from people besides myself, that's where I got it from and was lead to beleive. I'm not saying the only talents are performing arts -- I am saying those seem to be the ones people consider as 'valid.' That's why a lot of people don't feel like what they do is a talent. You never heard anyone say "I can do X, but that's not really a talent though.' Well apparently it is!

Old 05-06-2012, 08:34 PM

44,246 posts, read 54,822,568 times
They are blowing sunshine up their butts.

What they should say is that with hard work and cultivation of strengths, everyone has something to offer.

This whole 'you are special just for existing' crap is counterproductive and potentially devastating.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:02 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,383,789 times
Of course people find many talents to be valid besides the performing arts and I was a reporter, writer and music critic for many years. I'm starting to wonder about this thread, if the OP is having us on. Anyway, the definition of talent, per Merriam-Webster.

tal·ent
noun \ˈta-lənt\
Definition of TALENT
a : any of several ancient units of weight b : a unit of value equal to the value of a talent of gold or silver
archaic : a characteristic feature, aptitude, or disposition of a person or animal
: the natural endowments of a person
a : a special often athletic, creative, or artistic aptitude b : general intelligence or mental power : ability
: a person of talent or a group of persons of talent in a field or activity
— tal·ent·ed adjective
— tal·ent·less adjective
See talent defined for English-language learners »
See talent defined for kids »
Examples of TALENT

a singer with an enormous amount of talent
I have no musical talent.
Her artistic talent has been obvious ever since she was a child.
They sang a duet in the talent show .
She has a job that makes the most of her talents.
His experience, skills, and talents make him perfectly suited for the job.
There are many good players on the team, but she's a special talent.
The company has hired some expensive legal talent for the trial.
The team has recruited some of the best talent around.
The company is doing a talent search to find the right person for the job.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Of course people find many talents to be valid besides the performing arts and I was a reporter, writer and music critic for many years. I'm starting to wonder about this thread, if the OP is having us on. Anyway, the definition of talent, per Merriam-Webster.

tal·ent
noun \ˈta-lənt\
Definition of TALENT
a : any of several ancient units of weight b : a unit of value equal to the value of a talent of gold or silver
archaic : a characteristic feature, aptitude, or disposition of a person or animal
: the natural endowments of a person
a : a special often athletic, creative, or artistic aptitude b : general intelligence or mental power : ability
: a person of talent or a group of persons of talent in a field or activity
— tal·ent·ed adjective
— tal·ent·less adjective
See talent defined for English-language learners »
See talent defined for kids »
Examples of TALENT

a singer with an enormous amount of talent
I have no musical talent.
Her artistic talent has been obvious ever since she was a child.
They sang a duet in the talent show .
She has a job that makes the most of her talents.
His experience, skills, and talents make him perfectly suited for the job.
There are many good players on the team, but she's a special talent.
The company has hired some expensive legal talent for the trial.
The team has recruited some of the best talent around.
The company is doing a talent search to find the right person for the job.

In this section people are either 'trying to get pity (from internet strangers)' or 'they have hidden motives.'

here's a 3rd option: It was discussion on talent and whether everyone has one and the validity of talents, etc. that's it. seriously.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 PM

7,100 posts, read 24,938,695 times
There is also the Talent for music, dancing, etc. that may be fantastic, but the personality of the person prevents him/her from getting up in front of people and performing. They will play, sing or dance for their own pleasure, not for the accolades of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or