Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you genuinely beleive that EVERYONE has a talent?
Yes. I beleive everyone has a talent. 19 51.35%
No. I do not beleive everyone has a talent. 18 48.65%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 04:54 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times

Advertisements

Do you notice how people say 'everyone has a talent.' What are they basing this on and how do they come to this conclusion? They tell people this even if said person has no idea what their talent is supposed to be....Are they just telling the person that so they don't feel like a loser or are they telling them that b/c they have a particular talent themselves, so they assume everyone else must too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 08:27 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Do you notice how people say 'everyone has a talent.' What are they basing this on and how do they come to this conclusion? They tell people this even if said person has no idea what their talent is supposed to be....Are they just telling the person that so they don't feel like a loser or are they telling them that b/c they have a particular talent themselves, so they assume everyone else must too?

most people do not have a particulary unique outstanding talent but its important to give people hope and to inflate thier relevance and significance as an individual , i place a lot of truck in the saying , your only as good as you think you are , if a person doesnt believe they have much to offer , regardless of thier abilitys , they will not realise thier potential , in essence , " everyone has a talent " is old fashioned possitive encouragment

Old 05-05-2012, 08:38 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
I believe everyone has a purpose in life and everyone seems to be very good at least one thing. If you mean talent as in singing, dancing, some sort of performing arts gifts, then no, not everyone has talent. But writing, building beautiful bird houses, fixing cars, gardening, taking great care of children, sewing beautiful clothes, all are talents, too.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:40 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
I think it would be more along the lines of everyone has strengths and weaknesses and what you do with them can make a difference and reveal a talent of sorts. I believe that talent is often more out of a passion for some given thing. What is my talent? None really as I consider myself more of a "Jane of all trades" rather than really concentrating on one area which is nothing but boring after a short time. Talent? Not so much but strength in a particular area. I don't think though that you can have a talent unless you have a passion for something.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:25 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I believe everyone has a purpose in life and everyone seems to be very good at least one thing. If you mean talent as in singing, dancing, some sort of performing arts gifts, then no, not everyone has talent. But writing, building beautiful bird houses, fixing cars, gardening, taking great care of children, sewing beautiful clothes, all are talents, too.
² this. I think most people will immediately perceive "talent" as something that can be turned into money. While I find for example a person that has a way with people just, a person that makes other people laugh, makes life a bit lighter for the others, just as talented .

Old 05-05-2012, 02:36 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
² this. I think most people will immediately perceive "talent" as something that can be turned into money. While I find for example a person that has a way with people just, a person that makes other people laugh, makes life a bit lighter for the others, just as talented .
In that sense, everyone brings something to the table. Unfortunately, we associate too much with money, achievement and success. If we just let people "be" and pursue their talents (whatever they may be), rather than this corporate greedy rat race nonsense, that would be much better.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:01 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,185 times
It used to bother me when I heard people say that everyone has a talent.
I don't have any particular "talents".
I have some good qualities and I do some things that may make me a positive person on this planet. I hope I'm not just taking up space without bringing something to this world. BUT I don't think the things I do can really qualify as what most people define as "talent".

I'm a good listener. I can usually empathise with most people/situations.
I try to "pay it forward" when I can. I try to practice random acts of kindness. No I'm not trying to sound Polyanna - I can be a grouch sometimes too. I do go off, when someone pushes my buttons.

Bottom line - I don't think everyone necessarily has "talents", but I do believe we can all have a purpose, if we choose to.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:40 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
some interesting takes on what a talent actually means. never thought of it some of these ways. I always thought it meant 'singing, dancing, artwork,' type stuff.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
I'm wondering if some of you have talents but don't realize it. For instance, being a good listener is quite a talent. Most people are terrible at it. But if it is what you are good at, you tend to think everyone else has that ability or knack, too. We tend to discount or not recognize our talents.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:35 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
some interesting takes on what a talent actually means. never thought of it some of these ways. I always thought it meant 'singing, dancing, artwork,' type stuff.

Well, if that's how you mean it, then no, not everyone has a talent, and I have a valid reason for believing this. My daughter's elementary school had a student talent show every year. Trust me, there was VERY LITTLE talent to be had. Most of the kids chose to do some version of a music-video type dance. They were uncoordinated, had no rhythm, and no sense of how ridiculous they looked. There was some relief every eight or nine numbers when a kid who could actually sing or play the piano or some other instrument or dance ballet came on stage. My daughter and her friends used to do a comedy routine or a comedy sketch, which was also at least a little different than the endless "dances". These were some of the most interminable evenings I have ever endured. I am so glad they are over forever.

Otherwise, a person can also have a talent for persuading people, a talent for fund-raising, a talent for public speaking, etc. I do think we first think of "talent" as an ability for some kind of art form, though. Even in acting--Meryl Streep has a talent for mimicking accents, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health