U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2012, 11:33 AM
 
70 posts, read 91,642 times
Reputation: 120

Advertisements

I read that San Francisco Giant's baseball player Aubrey Huff was put on a 15 day disabled list because of anxiety disorder.

On a local sports talk show several of the callers weren't sympathetic to his problem. Comments like:

"He has money, career and fame and should just quit whining."

"He's a weakling. He should just toughen up and get over it."

"He's just using this excuse as a free pass to get what he wants."

"He doesn't need any outside help. It's all mind over matter."

"Yeah, everyone has a mental illness today. It's so cool to have one."

I wonder about the lack of sympathy for Aubrey. People I know who have a mental illness want relief from their suffering. They need the caring and support from other people. If Aubrey needs help with his anxiety disorder, why all the unsympathetic remarks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,190 posts, read 6,108,798 times
Reputation: 2053
Yes, people can often be cynical, closed minded and closed heart-ed, ignorant and lacking in both empathy and compassion.
Welcome to the human race.

Last edited by jaijai; 05-05-2012 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 12:33 PM
 
7,357 posts, read 8,344,685 times
Reputation: 4526
not some people , most people

people find it hard to empathise with something they cannot comprehend , if you have never had mental illness , you cannot know what its like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Purgatory
2,663 posts, read 4,681,460 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
not some people , most people

people find it hard to empathise with something they cannot comprehend , if you have never had mental illness , you cannot know what its like
The same applies to gays, lesbians, transgenders, those in poverty, etc. People in general seem to find it easier or even ego boosting to demonise rather than sympathise.

Mental illness is still largely misunderstood and there's still too much stigma surrounding it. I wish that people would understand that you can't just pull yourself up by your bootstraps when the bootstraps were broken to begin with. I am tired of putting up with BS, or thrust into situations and circumstances that just make it worse.

At least trying to put yourself in someone else's shoes isn't that difficult, yet many people simply choose not to. I'm afraid I don't think very highly of such people, even if that boils down to most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 01:22 PM
 
7,357 posts, read 8,344,685 times
Reputation: 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
The same applies to gays, lesbians, transgenders, those in poverty, etc. People in general seem to find it easier or even ego boosting to demonise rather than sympathise.

Mental illness is still largely misunderstood and there's still too much stigma surrounding it. I wish that people would understand that you can't just pull yourself up by your bootstraps when the bootstraps were broken to begin with. I am tired of putting up with BS, or thrust into situations and circumstances that just make it worse.

At least trying to put yourself in someone else's shoes isn't that difficult, yet many people simply choose not to. I'm afraid I don't think very highly of such people, even if that boils down to most people.
i dont really agree with your comparison , mental illness is internal , its not physical or material , you can be well off but know poverty when you see it and know that its not something you want , you can see a gay person enjoy being with thier partner and appreciate that its no different to a straight couple , before i contacted mental illness , i did not have a clue what it entailed or even meant tbh which is why i dont have anything against people who cannot understand mental illness as long as they are not too judgmental towards me , not that i would tell anyone about it bar those few close family members
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Purgatory
2,663 posts, read 4,681,460 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i dont really agree with your comparison , mental illness is internal , its not physical or material , you can be well off but know poverty when you see it and know that its not something you want , you can see a gay person enjoy being with thier partner and appreciate that its no different to a straight couple , before i contacted mental illness , i did not have a clue what it entailed or even meant tbh which is why i dont have anything against people who cannot understand mental illness as long as they are not too judgmental towards me , not that i would tell anyone about it bar those few close family members
It wasn't meant as a comparison. My point was a general one about people being unsympathetic or uncompassionate in general when it comes to anything they don't understand (or choose to be ignorant).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 01:43 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,712 posts, read 10,309,820 times
Reputation: 7553
well I don't think everyone, but some people yea they are like the OP said. Those types think we are 'doing this to ourselves' for what purpose I have no idea. I don't see anything at all gained from struggling in this manner day in and day out. They feel since they struggled at their job once or whatever that is akin to being mentally ill on a daily basis. LOL. As important & valid as struggling in a personal situation is, it's not the same thing. People do not attach unwanted labels like "crazy" "stupid" or "weird" to a person that has struggled in a job once, but they do it real quick to someone with mental problems. Most of the world operates this way, the best thing to do is realize this is how they are and keep it moving...I have always said if some of these people had to live as some of the mentally ill did, they probably would've killed themselves by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 90,495,699 times
Reputation: 39961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistic Spirit View Post
I read that San Francisco Giant's baseball player Aubrey Huff was put on a 15 day disabled list because of anxiety disorder.

On a local sports talk show several of the callers weren't sympathetic to his problem. Comments like:

"He has money, career and fame and should just quit whining."

"He's a weakling. He should just toughen up and get over it."

"He's just using this excuse as a free pass to get what he wants."

"He doesn't need any outside help. It's all mind over matter."

"Yeah, everyone has a mental illness today. It's so cool to have one."

I wonder about the lack of sympathy for Aubrey. People I know who have a mental illness want relief from their suffering. They need the caring and support from other people. If Aubrey needs help with his anxiety disorder, why all the unsympathetic remarks?
Ignorant, uninformed people make ignorant, uninformed comments.

It's sad, but compassion and empathy are characteristics that are not being nurtured in a lot of people any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Purgatory
2,663 posts, read 4,681,460 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Ignorant, uninformed people make ignorant, uninformed comments.

It's sad, but compassion and empathy are characteristics that are not being nurtured in a lot of people any more.
That summarises one of the main reasons why I cannot stomach society. While we've made great advances in some areas, we have taken several steps back in others. I am not old by any stretch and may not have been around for long enough to be considered wise, but I have noticed major changes in the last decade or so especially (not changes for the better either). People seem to have become mega self-absorbed, needing instant gratification, far less trusting of others and less inclined to make friends or acquaintances outside of their own circles.

I feel like I might have died some time ago and I'm just watching an endless film titled "Existence". I often wish I could just press stop and turn off the television permanently. It's becoming too painful to watch. In other words, I feel completely out of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 03:29 PM
 
8,301 posts, read 11,270,534 times
Reputation: 7821
I have to admit I do at times.
I don't feel sympathy for some that REFUSE to take their meds.
I also have little patience for those with mental illness who take illegal drugs.
As if,why are you still doing dope if you know it exacerbates your symptoms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:16 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top