U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:14 AM

248 posts, read 412,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Ru Paul is a drag queen. A drag queen is a gay male that assumes a transgender, female persona for a variety of purposes (sometimes sexual, sometimes to entertain, sometimes for similar reasons to heterosexual crossdressers). Ru Paul however is not a transsexual and never claimed to. Basicly, he's not necessarily like you and doesn't claim to represent you, so please take into consideration Ru Paul is just as much a member and spokesperson for the LGBT community as you or anybody else.
Did I miss something?
While I admit that I think RuPaul looks gorgeous in drag, I don't understand why we're talking about him here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:45 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,682,575 times
I have indifferent parents. I guess that's better? My mom's only response was "but you're a man". Priceless.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,246,661 times
I imagine indifferent can be painful too. Don't we all crave parents who are in our corner just loving us for being us? Unconditional love...I always thought that's what parents were supposed to give their children. As I child that's all I ever wanted. As a parent, it's what I've tried to give. I did find out as a parent that even when we love our children unconditionally, we still do have certain expectations and we do make mistakes, we do get angry and sometimes we do forget that we need to just let our children become who they are.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:44 AM

1,669 posts, read 1,712,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I am often surprised when I hear that parents are surprised by this. It seems to me, and forgive me if I'm clueless, that your parents would have seen signs of your identifying with being a female from when you were a small child, as I assume that you did have those feelings from very young. Perhaps they were in denial though? It sound like your parents are very religious, and these things never go well with them.
Mine were surprised too when I told them, and I definitely was not overly-girly as a child; it actually came as quite a surprise to me that they had not considered my being transgender whatsoever [was quite terrified of telling them, so about a month before I went home to visit for the holidays had the "I have something to tell you" conversation over the phone--probably not the best way to go about it, but it was just how it happened. My brother and sister-in-law said (had about the same phone conversation with them as with my parents) they figured I was going to tell them I was a lesbian; my parents probably were thinking around the same lines, but then to not even have the gender thing cross their mind was quite a shock].

I was shocked and amazed and am still shocked and amazed at how supportive my family and few friends have been so far (I never had very many friends, always have been a loner). Even my then-fiance is very supportive. For about two years before I told him, we were living as "roommates" then without much in the way of intimate relations going on; now, over two years later, we still are much in the same relationship.

I don't identify completely at one end of the gender spectrum (I prefer genderqueer than transgender, though both don't seem to fit me quite right; though genderqueer definitely more than tg), maybe this has something to do with it, I don't know. While I present probably at least 70% of the time as a guy, I don't think the change is overwhelmingly drastic, and it has been occuring over two years so it has been very slow too. I don't know how I've been so fortunate, I am just grateful every day that I have such supportive loving people in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
Speaking of weird, another thing I forgot to mention is that I'm sort of an anomaly in my generation. Unlike most people in Gen Y I tend to have a more tough-minded personality. I don't care about popularity; if I'm a loner for the rest of my life I don't really care. I'll admit that it can be a weakness; I've had more than my fair share of arguments. I don't go and cause trouble but I don't like being told what to do for the most part. I tend to have a more individualist personality overall. Yes, I've been pushed off blogs for refusing to play along, I'll admit that. It's also possible that I might have a touch of autism or Aspergers since I've heard where people who don't have a sexual orientation possibly have one of them.
I'm definitely an anomaly in my generation. You know I've always identified slightly more with the X generation, and (unless I'm calculating wrong) I'm only around two years older than you ('80--you mentioned you were 20 in 2002, I was 22. I always liked how I was born on a year that was a multiple of ten since its so easy to know how old I was at any year); I never found out where the cut-off is. The Ys are way too technologically-oriented for me; I've honestly always felt I belonged to the generation that was about 180 to 140 years ago, but who knows.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:06 AM

994 posts, read 1,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Mine were surprised too when I told them, and I definitely was not overly-girly as a child; it actually came as quite a surprise to me that they had not considered my being transgender whatsoever [was quite terrified of telling them, so about a month before I went home to visit for the holidays had the "I have something to tell you" conversation over the phone--probably not the best way to go about it, but it was just how it happened. My brother and sister-in-law said (had about the same phone conversation with them as with my parents) they figured I was going to tell them I was a lesbian; my parents probably were thinking around the same lines, but then to not even have the gender thing cross their mind was quite a shock].

I was shocked and amazed and am still shocked and amazed at how supportive my family and few friends have been so far (I never had very many friends, always have been a loner). Even my then-fiance is very supportive. For about two years before I told him, we were living as "roommates" then without much in the way of intimate relations going on; now, over two years later, we still are much in the same relationship.

I don't identify completely at one end of the gender spectrum (I prefer genderqueer than transgender, though both don't seem to fit me quite right; though genderqueer definitely more than tg), maybe this has something to do with it, I don't know. While I present probably at least 70% of the time as a guy, I don't think the change is overwhelmingly drastic, and it has been occuring over two years so it has been very slow too. I don't know how I've been so fortunate, I am just grateful every day that I have such supportive loving people in my life.

I'm definitely an anomaly in my generation. You know I've always identified slightly more with the X generation, and (unless I'm calculating wrong) I'm only around two years older than you ('80--you mentioned you were 20 in 2002, I was 22. I always liked how I was born on a year that was a multiple of ten since its so easy to know how old I was at any year); I never found out where the cut-off is. The Ys are way too technologically-oriented for me; I've honestly always felt I belonged to the generation that was about 180 to 140 years ago, but who knows.
I know that feeling, LOL. I'd like to think I am unlike any other Gen Y'er in the world but who knows? I tend to be a drifter; I'm too used to being a loner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health