U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2012, 12:48 PM
 
Location: The 719
15,184 posts, read 23,216,348 times
Reputation: 14362

Advertisements

Ditto to ya, but let's not monopolize the thread.

The alky and the paranoid schizophrenic can stand back and let folks who misunderstand us and decide whether we have a "disease" or not mete out our recovery plans.

Meanwhile, we can hopefully gain the compassion and respect of the "mental health" community here as we hash this out... and at least try to lay down a practical solution for some of this stuff.

I wish there was a 12 Step for schizophrenics in our town and have my bro at least give it a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2012, 03:18 PM
 
1,135 posts, read 1,901,933 times
Reputation: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Ditto to ya, but let's not monopolize the thread.

The alky and the paranoid schizophrenic can stand back and let folks who misunderstand us and decide whether we have a "disease" or not mete out our recovery plans.

Meanwhile, we can hopefully gain the compassion and respect of the "mental health" community here as we hash this out... and at least try to lay down a practical solution for some of this stuff.

I wish there was a 12 Step for schizophrenics in our town and have my bro at least give it a shot.

Wow. Best bet is to have your brother get help in any way he can and Risperidone can save lives/ and all family members.

Why would a schizophrenic seek gaining compassion here? They WOULDN'T. Nothing is wrong with them. If you're asking for someone else? Save your breath and typing and help your family member constructively. Who gives a flying firetruck about a pity party on CD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 06:02 PM
 
Location: The 719
15,184 posts, read 23,216,348 times
Reputation: 14362
I'm not going to comment at length about the post up there because it will probably be deleted.

It's not my job to say who needs compassion and who does not. I've been around City Data since 2006 and have seen many come and go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 AM
 
1,135 posts, read 1,901,933 times
Reputation: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I'm not going to comment at length about the post up there because it will probably be deleted.

It's not my job to say who needs compassion and who does not. I've been around City Data since 2006 and have seen many come and go.
Every person alive deserves compassion. You maybe missed the point of going to a schizophrenic posting to turn it into help for an alcoholic. It's not only apples to oranges, it's a different store. CD people try to be the most helpful as they can. Sometimes, tough love is needed within even the "unknown" family. Don't blur afflictions that keep one from having a good life....they might be parallel and even cross with our own, but every person has their own issues. It does a disservice by undermining a poster that is seeking help with a CERTAIN situation. Sure, share your experience with that and how you dealt, but you can always create a new post.

If you'd noticed there was mention of Risperidone.....after my Mother being committed 5 times she finally lived in a state that took care of her long enough to get her straight. After 31 years of not knowing this woman, 4 adult kids, grandkids and great grandkids have been given back a wonderful human being. Not only do we know her, SHE knows her. It is worth the effort/pain to find a way to do the right thing and save at least one life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 12:34 PM
 
Location: The 719
15,184 posts, read 23,216,348 times
Reputation: 14362
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post

If you'd noticed there was mention of Risperidone...
If there's one thing we're not supposed to do in here is play doctor. I may have the TOS confused on that point we'll see. One thing may work great for some but not others. We let the doctor/psychiatrist decide.

I didn't come in here to talk about booze either. Mistygrl brought it up first. After that response, I responded to Paw and that was it.

I'm not looking for nor expecting compassion in here... it would just be nice for it to come around from time to time.

I don't need advice for my brother. He's being taken care of and doing much better now that he's matured and mellowed out.

I was merely relating my experiences... the good bad and the ugly... that is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,248 posts, read 1,879,018 times
Reputation: 2500
Schizophrenia really is an illness that affects the entire family. Good luck to the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 02:23 PM
 
1,135 posts, read 1,901,933 times
Reputation: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
If there's one thing we're not supposed to do in here is play doctor. I may have the TOS confused on that point we'll see. One thing may work great for some but not others. We let the doctor/psychiatrist decide.

I didn't come in here to talk about booze either. Mistygrl brought it up first. After that response, I responded to Paw and that was it.

I'm not looking for nor expecting compassion in here... it would just be nice for it to come around from time to time.

I don't need advice for my brother. He's being taken care of and doing much better now that he's matured and mellowed out.

I was merely relating my experiences... the good bad and the ugly... that is all.
I don't play doctor...I just relayed an experience with a saving drug(since I am ANTI drug) that saved an entire family. It is honestly something I wish someone would have mentioned to me decades ago...I wouldn't have grown up homeless and starving. There is compassion here more than you'd find within your own circle, usually. Great for your brother. And I'll send a hug to you since I think you need it and don't have many around to give it. You can call me wrong but doesn't matter.....I totally wish you the best in dealing with the nasty parts of life. Gosh it gets so hard!!!!!!!! I used to want to quit....I'm glad I didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 05:28 PM
 
Location: The 719
15,184 posts, read 23,216,348 times
Reputation: 14362
Thank you. I'll relay the info on that particular drug to my mom and see if she knows anything about it or if that's what they're using or have tried with my bro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2012, 02:42 AM
 
10,996 posts, read 11,754,330 times
Reputation: 8366
OP, it seems that if your grandmother and her daughter and your cousin all suffer from this affliction, then it's likely that since your aunt is your grandmother's caretaker, that when your grandmother falls ill, there will be no medicine for her as well. She will suffer horrible pain, just like your grandfather. I hope she gets help and that you will someday know a better side to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:21 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top