U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 PM

399 posts, read 522,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post
Hello, fellow empath
You are right about not wanting to do what others are suggesting. You will know when you are ready. When student is ready, the teacher will show up.

I will leave you with a short fable from my spiritual teacher.
A man was standing by the edge of a cliff looking at the narrow bridge to the other side. The bridge didn't look strong enough. It was narrow and shaky. The man needed to get to the other side, but he wasn't sure he wanted to take a chance with a weak looking bridge. Another man arrived at the cliff, he stepped on the bridge without hesitation and crossed to the other side. The first man remained standing, still not sure if he should step on the bridge. After some time, the second man crossed the bridge back, again without any hesitation.
"How did you do it? I've been standing here forever unable to cross this bridge. Weren't you scared?" - asked the first man
And the second man answered: "I just really needed to get to the other side".
I enjoy meeting empaths out in the natural. lol It's a pleasant surprised. I knew you were spiritual, but I admit I didn't detect you were an empath.

I don't quite understand your fable. But if I'm accurate, I'm the first man, who doesn't quite need to get to the other side just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 10:51 PM

248 posts, read 411,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
I knew you were spiritual, but I admit I didn't detect you were an empath.
I am deep undercover

Quote:
I don't quite understand your fable. But if I'm accurate, I'm the first man, who doesn't quite need to get to the other side just yet.
Correct. When the NEED arises, you will know and you won't questions your motives anymore, it will come naturally.
For now, do "other things" you wanted to do.
Everything comes when it suppose to come. No need to rush.
As one wise man said: "Don't push the river, it will flow with its own speed anyway".

Old 05-10-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I am deep undercover

Correct. When the NEED arises, you will know and you won't questions your motives anymore, it will come naturally.
For now, do "other things" you wanted to do.
Everything comes when it suppose to come. No need to rush.
As one wise man said: "Don't push the river, it will flow with its own speed anyway".

Yes, I was talking to God about this tonight and I finally came to accept that line, "Man walks by faith and not by sight." I have no idea if I'll even so much as wake up tomorrow but I do need to take it one day at a time and since the anxiousness has been slowly subsiding, I've found that my ability to feel my own emotions is so much better...I can once again hear that inner voice a bit more clearly. Something I'm very thankful for.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:14 PM

8,712 posts, read 10,291,602 times
if there's nothing to be happy/excited about, what's the use of pretending?

Old 05-11-2012, 06:20 PM

9,947 posts, read 17,864,018 times
Quote:
Hello, fellow empath
Wow I just did a search on that term and some but not all of it describes me. I am very empathic towards some people's situations but not all of them and people often confide in me. This has had a tendency to hurt me in the past though b/c after people unload on me, they're quite embarrassed that now I know their deepest darkest secrets and will avoid me from that point on. So yeah I have been one of those insecure girls and we're talking very insecure, but later I realized that all the negativity that I was picking up on was rarely directed at me and now I'm much more confident. Also, and I know this sounds dumb, but I had to spend a lot of time in self talk and remind myself that if I were not meant to be on this planet taking up space, I wouldn't be. Yeah, I was such a dolt I was almost apologetic for my presence. And now I am very choosy about which people's stories I will let in to impact my life--it really has to resonate or I lose too much energy by it. If I don't get too worn out by it, it's actually kind of fun.

Last edited by stepka; 05-11-2012 at 06:38 PM..

Old 05-12-2012, 10:32 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,797,742 times
Quote:
I don't know how old you're. If you are very young, then I would say that a lot of your insecurity is part of being young and trying to find yourself, while also trying to fit in, while also trying to figure other people out, while... you get the picture
Yes, parents can play a role in contributing to kids' insecurities. Especially highly critical parents.

I guess I feel young at heart. And it feels like I am just waking up, trying to peek outside. All these years I've been in my own little world and I had no need for affirmations from people. But now that I am trying to connect with some people, I've discovered that I guess I am having a problem letting anyone close.

OK, you asked for it Shields up? Armor suit on? Here we go...
This part of your post reminded me of a very close friend who has personality disorder and suffers from chronic PTSD.
(I do not suggest you have these disorders )

Post traumatic stress syndrome? Well, maybe it depends on how one defines trauma. It's like Maryann Williamson said in "the Shadow Effect":

"I remember being in the womb and coming out and having all this love for all and then someone slapped me hard and I felt traumatized."

Maybe I was traumatized about being here too Afterall, it's a harsh world out there.
And all these emotions.... Each interaction with any person pulls the strings of certain emotions and you feel like you are in a flux, uncertain....not sure how the next interaction will make you feel... feeling like you are stuck inside of all these emotions and someone keeps pulling different strings and makes you feel all kinds of emotions and you just sit there, nothing left to do but to react and go along with those emotions...

And I guess this is a problem: as soon as you let people close, you become a puppet with strings and they pull on your emotions anyway they please... and you just have to sit there and take it

Forgiveness and revenge...? I am not sure, but I strongly believe that holding grudges destroys you from the inside, so I do all I can to not to... and yet, do I hold grudges? I am not sure. I still remember something someone did to me...is that holding a grudge? I would try to be nice to them, but I would not trust them.

Revenge - naturally I am not sure how I would go about it. But I was raised to "love your enemies" and to "pray for those who persecute you", so I guess in my mind revenge is a very bad idea. And I don't do it.

It seems that you want people close, yet it looks like you maybe pushing them away?
How do you feel about forgiveness?
What about revenge?

Old 05-12-2012, 10:33 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,797,742 times
I love empaths. So good to see you all/hear from.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayLight1555 View Post
I love empaths. So good to see you all/hear from.
Nice to meet you too.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:32 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,242,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
if there's nothing to be happy/excited about, what's the use of pretending?
Is this in reply to something that somebody else said?

Regardless, my answer to that would be...

Most of the time I don't believe in pretending, but there have been times when I've felt I've "had to" (I don't want to get into why right now). Sometimes when those situations arise, it turns out that "pretending" forces us to set some bad feelings aside temporarily. In the best of circumstances those bad feelings stay put away beyond that need to pretend.

Put another way, there have been times when I've had to fake not feeling like dirt for the sake of company or social circumstances and I found that after a while, the thing that I was feeling like dirt about no longer bothered me so much.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:11 PM

2,953 posts, read 4,561,902 times
I'd like to join this support group

I am very insecure but I feel I have legitmate reasons. My insecurity is to the point that I don't even think I can function some days. Going out to do simple errands is a real chore for me. I don't enjoy going to the mall or going out because then I will see something that will upset me and I wind up angry, frustrated and bitter for the rest of the day. I don't know what to do about this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health