U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 PM

399 posts, read 523,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverworks View Post
reality check: misty and number 5 is VERY common username. i agree with what hiknapster said above. i actually just received an email from ebay with my usual name i use on websites attached to the email address they use to contact me. i do know it is a scam coz it's saying about my ebay account and i sure have no ebay account.

while i am shocked i just delete it and most important is NOT click the link in the email EVER. just delete it. NEVER even bother to reply to it.
Mhm, I also get HUNDREDS of emails weekly with my name in it as well as people using my name in the email saying, "Hi, I miss you..." etc...on all of my email addresses. Also when I use to use IM, I use to get people messaging me using IM screen names similar to my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 03:23 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,879,018 times
I've even gotten one that said I'm in your area want to meet.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:41 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,838,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Good point. I guess it doesn't matter here, as if the "stalkers" are reading, they're reading. I'm more concerned about financial stuff, although I use completely different passwords for that stuff.

It's just really creepy to get an IM from someone (when no one you know would ever do that and this is not the first IM I've received) you don't even know. The fact it had Misty in it and the number 5 just creeped me out.
The odds are it's a coincidence. Also you failed to mention where you are getting the IMs. Is it Windows Messenger Live, Yahoo messenger, or is it a DM from someone on city-data? If you can tell me which instant messenger program you are using, I might be able to show you how to stop the IMs.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:42 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,879,018 times
Do you think that your old next door neighbor that was producing the hologram in your bushes is your stalker?

Old 05-10-2012, 12:44 PM

14,495 posts, read 24,259,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
The odds are it's a coincidence. Also you failed to mention where you are getting the IMs. Is it Windows Messenger Live, Yahoo messenger, or is it a DM from someone on city-data? If you can tell me which instant messenger program you are using, I might be able to show you how to stop the IMs.
IMs on yahoo are simple to disable.

everyone gets spam on their email. Its not stalking, just websites trying to make money. never click on the link, and report it as spam to your ISP.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:29 PM

3,714 posts, read 4,305,481 times
If you have AOL, in the password box there is a small box on the lower left to click on that says "make me invisible at sign on". That will take care of IM's for you.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:55 PM

5,546 posts, read 8,872,745 times
Thanks all, I think I found a fix. Yahoo has FINALLY made it such that only contacts can IM you. So I set my settings to that.

It could be coincidence completely and I hope so.

Meanwhile, I have bigger fish to fry. I don't want to hijack my own thread, but I don't want to start another.

My 90 something Mom fractured her pelvis in two spots plus her tailbone. She's in the hospital. She doesn't want me to come and see her UNTIL SHE GETS BETTER! OMG. The mortality rate is 27% at one year. I'm caught between just saying forget it and going to visit, and respecting her wishes. Anyway, I won't start a separate thread on this, but you can imagine how worried I am. She has underlying health issues and at her age this is serious!

Of course, I'm a bit hesitant to just up and leave, as due to the "problems" I've had here (thanks to the stalkers), I don't want anymore trouble. This means I want no vandalism, no break-ins, no alarms going off, nothing!

And for those of you who might not believe my story, I can tell you that I lived in a very good neighborhood where garage doors are not kicked in (from the inside), yet mine was.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:00 PM

5,546 posts, read 8,872,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
Mhm, I also get HUNDREDS of emails weekly with my name in it as well as people using my name in the email saying, "Hi, I miss you..." etc...on all of my email addresses. Also when I use to use IM, I use to get people messaging me using IM screen names similar to my own.
Yes, the emails are called spam. Thing is, I have never ONCE used IM. I am just a dinosaur. I have a regular flip phone and that's about the extent of my technical expertise, aside from forums and email. I am just NOT a believer in all these gadgets. I HATE Facebook, MySpace, etc for the invasion of privacy that it truly is.

If you ever want to know your online "score," peekyou will give you an idea of your online presence. Mine is 1 and I am happy for it.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 PM

399 posts, read 523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Yes, the emails are called spam. Thing is, I have never ONCE used IM. I am just a dinosaur. I have a regular flip phone and that's about the extent of my technical expertise, aside from forums and email. I am just NOT a believer in all these gadgets. I HATE Facebook, MySpace, etc for the invasion of privacy that it truly is.

If you ever want to know your online "score," peekyou will give you an idea of your online presence. Mine is 1 and I am happy for it.
I've gotten it on IM too.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:26 AM

248 posts, read 412,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
everyone gets spam on their email. Its not stalking, just websites trying to make money. never click on the link, and report it as spam to your ISP.
^^^ This ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health