U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:28 AM

248 posts, read 412,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I HATE Facebook, MySpace, etc for the invasion of privacy that it truly is.
How is it invasion of privacy if people voluntarily submitted their info and pictures?

If one doesn't want their privacy invaded, one should not take part in "social media". Simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 10:46 AM

399 posts, read 522,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post
How is it invasion of privacy if people voluntarily submitted their info and pictures?

If one doesn't want their privacy invaded, one should not take part in "social media". Simple.
That's why she doesn't participate in it (I hope). She doesn't want her privacy invaded. Besides, the stalkers could find out exactly what she's doing and who she's talking to and where she lives () then bother her in more ways than they already are...

Old 05-13-2012, 10:56 AM

17,488 posts, read 21,904,600 times
Plus with FB and those other sites you don't have to post alot of information about yourself and you can make it only accessible for friends. I don't use FB, twitter or any other social media sites either. If she has someone stalking her it's better that she is not on any of those sites.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:17 AM

248 posts, read 412,446 times
stalkers... yikes!
It is best to be "invisible" in such situations.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:28 PM

14,495 posts, read 24,252,215 times
Post agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post

FB is only for people who sign up

She said she doesnt text or IM. Disable IM, its no big consoiracy, you just block it.

If you want IM and Presence, then just disable the user from Lync. If you want the user's presence to be hidden, but still want the user to be able to IM, you can enable the "Appear Offline" parameter in the client policy.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398300.aspx
Set parameter -EnableAppearOffline to true

There are tens of millions of people online. Higly doubtful every piece of Spam is a personal stalker.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:51 AM

16,082 posts, read 24,716,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, I was going to post in my thread that got closed. I don't know why it was closed. Stalking is a real issue.

Anyway, I got IMs from someone called Candy_Misty5. Well, as you all can see, my username here is Misty. What you don't know is that there is a 5 in my password. I do not do IMs and there is no reason for anyone to be sending me an IM. I don't do text messages either.

So...I'm thinking that this isn't a coincidence either. This is really starting to irritate me. I don't know how to delete my email address permanently and you'd be surprised at what messages I've been sent. This is cyberstalking. Oh well, the bright side is at least it's FBI territory.
Guess I'll be one of the few to agree this probably isn't a coincidence.

Someone has your number (no pun intended), and knows you'll give them recognition and spend days worrying. Its subtle harassment.

Chances are it won't go further than it has, but to be on the safe side change you email and passwords.

If you do need to contact the FBI, theres a difference between requests and demands.

Last edited by virgode; 05-15-2012 at 02:07 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post

Someone has your number (no pun intended), and knows you'll give them recognition and spend days worrying. Its subtle harassment.

Chances are it won't go further than it has, but to be on the safe side change you email and passwords.

If you do need to contact the FBI, theres a difference between requests and demands.
Sometimes if I think that if something is worded in a certain way that fits in with a person's fears and perceptions, it can easily win over affirmation.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 AM

16,082 posts, read 24,716,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
Sometimes if I think that if something is worded in a certain way that fits in with a person's fears and perceptions, it can easily win over affirmation.
Not sure what point you're trying to get across.

I'm a DV survivor, have advocated, familiar with harassement, stalking and court cases. It can go on for years.

When an obsessed mind has it in for you, don't underestimate what they'll do, some of it covert and seems insignificant to an outsider.

Unfortunately the OP is prime target and the harasser knows she'll be alarmed, dwell and worry. Thats the intent, a psychological game to cause an emotional reaction.

Unless you're familiar with the mentality, its difficult to recognize.

Last edited by virgode; 05-16-2012 at 12:32 AM..

Old 05-16-2012, 01:53 AM

5,546 posts, read 8,868,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post

I don't make demands. I go on the record. And I have contacted the FBI. I did that a long time ago when it started. If I am to be offed, I at least want justice.

I rec'd four phone calls in a row yesterday and no one left a message. I didn't even bother to do a reverse look up.

Right now I don't really care. This trauma has morphed into a bigger trauma and I mean a completely different one.

I won't bring it up in this thread, but stalking is so yesterday. I just want a friggin break from everything!

Old 05-16-2012, 02:48 AM

Alright, I can honestly say I tried to do my part.

I looked through your history on this forum. I don't discredit that you were assaulted in the past, you shared that story. But, as Maslow's Hierachy of needs dictates, something more recent and physical happened.

Misty, all the best to you, okay? And I hope all goes well with your mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health