U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 PM

10,570 posts, read 11,130,511 times

Advertisements

Lunatic is a hard old fashioned smack in the yap when used as an insult. It's not like saying you have a slight or mild mental illness- It describes a raving maniac a god damned lunatic....My mother would call me this when I was a teenager...She would say it in Russian.....LOON AHH Teak.....I like the word...it's got punch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:15 PM

8,712 posts, read 10,291,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't understand this.
Not solely pertaining to this word, 'lunatic' but more others that would generally be considered insulting (wh*re, re*ard, fa**ot). Some people hide behind their "frustration of all the political correctness" to cover up the fact they want to degrade someone with a name (usually one nobody in their right mind would want to be called). I say they stop hiding behind the P.C. crap and call the person out their name -- because that's essentially what they want to do anyways.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:18 PM

5,546 posts, read 8,855,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Lunatic is a hard old fashioned smack in the yap when used as an insult. It's not like saying you have a slight or mild mental illness- It describes a raving maniac a god damned lunatic....My mother would call me this when I was a teenager...She would say it in Russian.....LOON AHH Teak.....I like the word...it's got punch.
I guess I just don't find it offensive. Maybe I've listened to too much Pink Floyd and have a positive association with that song..."The lunatic..."

At any rate, I don't worry about stuff like this too much. Liberals are called loons (short for lunatic, I presume) all the time, and I'm one of them.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Not solely pertaining to this word, 'lunatic' but more others that would generally be considered insulting (wh*re, re*ard, fa**ot). Some people hide behind their "frustration of all the political correctness" to cover up the fact they want to degrade someone with a name (usually one nobody in their right mind would want to be called). I say they stop hiding behind the P.C. crap and call the person out their name -- because that's essentially what they want to do anyways.
As you wish...99% of republicans are lunatics. There are the 1% rich, like my brother, who is in no way a lunatic. It's just unfortunate he isn't a Democrat. It's not like I didn't say that in the first place.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
As you wish...99% of republicans are lunatics. There are the 1% rich, like my brother, who is in no way a lunatic. It's just unfortunate he isn't a Democrat. It's not like I didn't say that in the first place.

In the first line of that post, I said my comments pertain more to words in the same 'class' as lunatic, not solely about lunatic. Other than that, everything else I said was explained pretty clearly I think.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
In the first line of that post, I said my comments pertain more to words in the same 'class' as lunatic, not solely about lunatic. Other than that, everything else I said was explained pretty clearly I think.
Between you and I, I think I have a way of just coming out with it. If you don't want to come out and say something straight up, that's fine with me. Oh, and this thread *is* about the word lunatic.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Between you and I, I think I have a way of just coming out with it. If you don't want to come out and say something straight up, that's fine with me. Oh, and this thread *is* about the word lunatic.
LOL....What are you going on about? I know the thread is about the word lunatic, you spoke about P.C. and political parties, so I addressed my opinions on political correctness. I just made a post about people coming out and saying what they mean. Which is exactly what I always try to do myself. If you do that as well -- then good. So yea....all's well that end's well. I guess.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:19 AM

9,947 posts, read 17,864,018 times
Quote:
A lot of people like to wave the 'down with political correctness' banner as a way to say just about anything to a person and get away with it. I don't buy it. If you're gonna insult somebody, own it.
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't understand this.
I do.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:26 AM

7,329 posts, read 13,807,606 times
Sometimes "political correctness" goes too far, but let's be honest here. Usage of words changes over time. I doubt one person here has ever said someone was a lunatic and not meant it to be an insult. I certainly haven't, and wouldn't.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:54 AM

17,488 posts, read 21,861,898 times
No the word lunatic is not offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health