U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:10 AM

21,908 posts, read 23,076,490 times

Advertisements

of course the word lunatic is offensive and would be hurtful, but fortunately those nut-jobs have more pressing matters on their mind like why their dog is speaking German to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 10:39 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,563,406 times
I think that many older people such as myself, have seen so many words replaced by politically correct words that are long and cumbersome. Please do not be offended when an older person uses older words in a nice manner. It IS what they are accustomed to and they are not as quick to adapt. What I don't like is how we dance around a definition with words such as "mentally challenged", etc. Obviously the word "retard" has become insulting because so many people use it in an insulting manner. A kinder word we older people once used was "slow". See what I mean?

Old 05-11-2012, 03:06 PM

13,049 posts, read 16,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
I thought this might interest a few people.

BBC News - How offensive is the word 'lunatic'?

"Two US senators have proposed to excise the word "lunatic" from federal law, calling it outdated and offensive. What are the word's origins and why is it so offensive?
The word "lunatic" has been codified into US law so long it has outlasted its currency in the psychiatric profession."
I think they're both a couple of lunatics for even thinking such a thing....a lunatic can mean an insane person....but it can also mean an extremely foolish person...or persons in this case.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:09 PM

9,947 posts, read 17,864,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I think that many older people such as myself, have seen so many words replaced by politically correct words that are long and cumbersome. Please do not be offended when an older person uses older words in a nice manner. It IS what they are accustomed to and they are not as quick to adapt. What I don't like is how we dance around a definition with words such as "mentally challenged", etc. Obviously the word "retard" has become insulting because so many people use it in an insulting manner. A kinder word we older people once used was "slow". See what I mean?
I do agree with this. I'm 53 and I grew up saying someone was retarded and meaning it in the kindest way. Then I worked with retarded kids and got tired of trying to explain to non-laymen that ID means intellectually disabled, since most had only just figured out what MR is. The problem is that no matter how kind the term is, someone is going to pick up on it and use it in an unkind way and I'm not sure that the answer is to keep changing the terminology. Incidentally, when we were discussing a child among ourselves, we would use the term low, and again not in a mean way but as a shorthand for "this is what you'll be dealing with, with this child." I never heard anyone use that term in an unkind way.

Our church denomination had this on a much bigger scale. It's one of those PA Dutch denominations and word got out that a really nasty cult had taken part of our name and we toyed around with changing it to get away from the stigma but we ultimately decided not to b/c someone will always come along and take your name. As Dolleyes says: Own it. And I'm thinking that since we are a shrinking denomination, while we are busy telling people what we're not, maybe some will take notice and figure out what we are.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 610 times
being called a lunatic is offensive and humiliating, my teacher calls me 'the lunatic'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health