U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 10:26 PM

642 posts, read 993,977 times

Advertisements

I'm sure I'm not the only one who goes through this to some extent or another so I was wondering if anyone has some helpful suggestions:

I tend to procrastinate on occasion and sometimes even miss deadlines - but even things that are overdue I'll continue to put off because I feel bad/guilty about it, which only makes the problem worse, and the more time that goes by, the worse I'll feel about the issue, and the harder it seems to get it done.

I know it doesn't make too much sense but I get myself into these predicaments more than I like to admit. And then my mental playlist will bust out Depeche Mode with the words "never again is what you swore the time before" haha. Anyone have any good tips to break these negative cycles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 02:51 AM

399 posts, read 523,318 times
"NOthin to it but to do it?" When I feel anxious about something, I allow myself to attempt it and I try to put all my time and energy into it too. I use the anxiety and guilt of procrastinating to push me to do the thing.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:13 AM

10,005 posts, read 17,925,069 times
I wish I had some advice but I bet I'm worse than you. Somehow I always think I'll be more in the mood later to do it but it's never the case. I picked up a book at the library one day about how to fix it but it went through all these personality types most likely to procrastinate but I didn't fit any of them and I resented being called passive aggressive. I am not--I have ADD and procrastination is a huge part of the ADD personality--not that it makes it okay b/c it's not but I don't like being portrayed as more evil than I already am.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:33 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,804,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one who goes through this to some extent or another so I was wondering if anyone has some helpful suggestions:

I tend to procrastinate on occasion and sometimes even miss deadlines - but even things that are overdue I'll continue to put off because I feel bad/guilty about it, which only makes the problem worse, and the more time that goes by, the worse I'll feel about the issue, and the harder it seems to get it done.

I know it doesn't make too much sense but I get myself into these predicaments more than I like to admit. And then my mental playlist will bust out Depeche Mode with the words "never again is what you swore the time before" haha. Anyone have any good tips to break these negative cycles?

As someone said: nothing to do, but DO IT. It's like a mine field in our life. We walk around and then we stop on one of them and then it sucks us into a vicious cycle like you've described.

Perhaps you could try bribing yourself, promise yourself a treat or something you like (and perhaps you should keep the treats away from your SELF and keep them only for these occasions, that way they will motivate you)

Sometimes, living with our SELF is like living with a robot... we have to find the right approach to control it. It's like it's almost not really us, but someone who is competing for control in our life. So treat this robot of you as someone else and try to find ways to deal with it as you would try to deal with someone else. And mothers often revert to bribery when trying to get their children to do something

Also, what we believe "deep down", is what our robot part does. So it's about training your mind to believe that this things is important to do. Because it's like a part of you believes that it's ok to let it go and not do it. Usually "dutiful" people and "responsible" people do stuff because they BELIEVE it's important. Maybe deep down you don't believe that it's important to do. Try to convince your SELF that it is important to do.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:05 PM

2,405 posts, read 2,768,403 times
Abqpsychlist,

Figure out what you really want... write it down & visualize it.
Let's say, you really want to get a particular career, working at a particular company.
You realize you have to be top notch, to beat the competition.
Keep reminding you of what's most important to you.
Focus on the times when you worked on goals toward your priorities.
Realize that it's up to you to make it happen!

BTW - We only do what we really want to do.
If you really don't want a particular career, but you want to "want it" - it's not enough. It has to be genuine desire from you - that's where motivation comes in. Commitment is reminding yourself of what's more important in the big picture (& not so important here & now).

Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 AM

7,288 posts, read 11,264,893 times
I think procrastination is tied into systems of denial as well as the character defects of sloth and lack of self-discipline . . .and procrastination is definitely self-sabotaging.

People who procrastinate might have unmanageable fear, anxiety, alcoholism or some personality problem that allows them to avoid taking direct actions and responsibility for their lives . . . the sloth and lack of self-discipline comes in when they choose on some level to do something else rather than what they need to do.

If you know you're a procrastinator and you are rationalizing it, you are digging yourself deeper into a hole of self-sabotage.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:35 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,248,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post

I don't normally like to oversimplify things, but as the old Nike slogan used to say...Just Do It!

Don't get me wrong, I've done my share of procrastinating, but sometimes that oversimplifcation has helped me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health