Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 10:58 AM

288 posts, read 717,148 times

Advertisements

I made a horrible decision yesterday by purchasing the wrong vehicle.

I was self-employed until a few months ago where I finally found employment again after four months of searching causing TONS of stress which landed me in the hospital twice with expensive bills. During this time my vehicle was very problematic, adding to my stress.

I spent several weeks trying to find the best vehicle I could buy. However, I told myself for two years that all I need is the simplest and cheapest vehicle possible to get from point A to point B. However, the vehicle would need to be reliable, which can be found on base models.

And so, I test drove one vehicle on Friday evening which I liked for the most part but some issues turned me away. I then went to another dealership yesterday and test drove one that I was very impressed by. However, when I asked if the model that I wanted with all of the bells and whistles in black (or red) was available he said not for 4 weeks.

I told him I needed to buy a vehicle today. My current vehicle gave me plenty of warning that it was just about dead. He went back to the "desk" twice and said that another customer was driving up from another city to buy the one vehicle they had left of that model but he could sell it to me instead since I was there.

I feel horrible about this. I know that's how buying homes work but this feels different. However, not only is the outside black, but the inside is black as well. Last night and this morning I experienced an extreme horror at what I've done. The inside of the vehicle also has a new leather smell which is making me feel sick. It's overwhelming and perhaps making me ill.

In summary...

1. I feel very guilty buying a vehicle out from someone who wanted to buy it and was probably meant for it.
2. The black interior is extremely depressing for me. Some time ago I made a stupid decision to paint an interior room of my home a dark gray - so dark it made me very depressed. I repainted it back to an off-white color and so it's fine now. But it's frustrating that at age 42 that I still make poor decisions.
3. For two years all I kept praying for is a reliable vehicle and that once I was able to get one I would get a base model. I have $31,000 in credit card debt from using it as living expenses as self-employed and it is very irresponsible to double it with a vehicle purchase. I've always been frugal with daily expenses but I seem to make big mistakes with big purchases. I haven't purchased anything other than food, clothing, gas and other necessities for several years now.

I got so depressed this morning that I was crying for 20 minutes. I have not cried in perhaps a year. I have no friends. I am estranged from my family as my brother and mother were emotionally abusive to me my entire life but blame it on me. I think this added to it.

My goal now is to contact the sales person Monday and *cringe* as I ask him if I can return it, and exchange it for the most basic and cheapest model. It's all I should be driving right now.

Is this reasonable to make this request? It will be a drag to have to hold on to this vehicle until I can sell it, since it depreciates immediately. I also got the extended warranty (which I didn't need either since the vehicle is an extremely reliable brand).

I plan to tell him to keep my trade-in of $4000 as compensation. I will also offer to pay a restocking fee. If it's $1000-$2000 I would be willing to pay this to correct this mistake. I cannot be driving this black interior vehicle with the leather smell. A bright cloth interior is best for me.

I don't know why I make such poor decisions. I don't seem to learn from my mistakes. Making choices is sometimes extremely difficult for me. I think I knew in my gut that I should get the base model until I get back on my feet again.

My job pays very well for a tech job, although it is actually a little less than what I made 3 years ago. I had to take this job as it was the only job that would hire me. I have good co-workers but the work environment and management has problems. The problems are enough where I am searching for another job. I have a very large tax bill to pay by December 31st and so my funds are very low. This is another reason I should have bought the cheapest travel vehicle.

Worst case I will have to hold on to this vehicle until I have enough funds to sell it, pay off the loan, and purchase the base model I should have gotten. I could also get cloth seat covers in a light tan color. This way I can brighten up the interior a little.

Trying to keep it together on this Sunday. Not having family or friends is so depressing. I have facebook "friends" but that's not true friendship. I have to bear the stress today and through sleep this evening knowing that I have to make that phone call to the sales person and speak the words which he is not going to like. I will pray today that a positive result will be there by tomorrow.

Hopefully others can learn from this lesson. Increasing personal debt is almost always a bad thing. If you have a family with kids then buying a home is reasonable. If you are single then rent. If you need to buy a vehicle buy only what is reasonable. If you have the cash on hand no worries but getting into debt is frightening and not recommended.

I plan to try go about my regular routine today and try to focus on whatever positives I can find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 11:32 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnTraveler View Post
He said another customer was driving up from another city to buy the one vehicle they had left of that model but he could sell it to me instead since I was there....I feel very guilty buying a vehicle out from someone who wanted to buy it and was probably meant for it
You know that this was probably a con to pressure you to buy right away, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnTraveler View Post
The black interior is extremely depressing for me
What about colored seat covers?

Old 12-22-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You know that this was probably a con to pressure you to buy right away, right?
It probably was, and was my immediate instinct, but it is the exact model of the vehicle that I built and priced on the web, without regard to the interior color. And so, at least I wasn't pressured to buy a vehicle I didn't want. I only realized after getting home that the black interior is to my disliking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
What about colored seat covers?
I plan to get some. I think perhaps with light tan seat covers on the front and the back it will help a lot. I could also get brighter floor mats.

I'm thinking now maybe it's not just the black interior but the heavy leather smell. It's what new cars with leather smell like I guess and it's over whelming. I will perhaps add an air freshner as well.

After thinking this through I plan to simply keep the vehicle. If I price even the base model plus tax the monthly payments are less but not enough to switch the vehicle.

Last edited by AutumnTraveler; 12-22-2013 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 12-22-2013, 04:13 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I find car buying to be overwhelming. Heck, I find buying shoes overwhelming..a car purchase is mind blowing for me!

I needed a new car, had never even bought a new car, ever, in my life...I went with a car, it was not perfect for me, I wish I had more money to buy what I really want...but, in the end, just a box to get to work in...

Hope you feel better.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:05 PM

Thanks jasper. After going through the day I've come to the realization that it's not the car or the color that's really bothering me. It's the fact that I made another life decision by myself and it's almost Christmas again and I have no one to share either with. I'm sad, lonely, and depressed because of this.

However, I have plans to make my life better. I need to just stay focused on every moment and know that better times will happen.

I appreciate all of the feedback.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:43 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Christmas tends to make people reflective, and morose. It is the quintessential existential holiday, "Coulda, woulda, shoulda"....people compare themselves to others, who appear happier, and assume these people are happier, because they are not alone.

I used to hate Christmas, and pretend it did not exist, I worked all holidays, and just worked and slPet my way thru it all...

Hope you feel better about your car, and realize it is just existential angst...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health