U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 08:32 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,726,780 times

Advertisements

Did you know that?

One Sleepless Night Increases Dopamine In The Human Brain

I suffer from a bit of anxiety and I firmly believe I have ADD and always have, I just haven't done anything about it - yet. I've found through experience that when I stay up all night, after I get over the initial hump of feeling tired (usually after I eat lunch), I feel much better than I would with a normal night of sleep. Now I know why. I suspected exactly what the link says. It slows my mind down, so that I'm more relaxed, and I also have a better attention span and focus, as well as find it easier to take action in completing simple tasks. I would compare the effect more to that of a stimulant drug than, say, coffee - it's that strong for me.

Has anybody else experienced this phenomenon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 12:17 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,724,314 times
I usually stay up all night, but it's from PTSD. I fear sleeping and the dark so much that I often can't bring myself to sleep. I can sleep during the daytime though.

Interesting article. Thanks for posting the link.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:42 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
When I was on meds, I slept a couple of hours and woke, then would stay awake 24 to 48 hours. They tried various 'sleep aides' which as I told them didn't work on my (had been tried before to no avail). Getting myself off meds fixed part of the sleep problem, and I started to sleep a full amount. Sleeping *when* I was sleepy solved the rest.

I go to bed middle or later in the night, wake up around noon or so. Its been wonderful. I'm not working so I can do that, but when I was working I slept earlier only because I was exhausted. I saved the early part of the day for sitting at my desk, drinking coffee and doing the mindless part of my job. My cubby mate knew better than to try a conversation until after lunch. But then, it was amazing how good I felt. I wonder if that was the dopamine.

It's wierd that I sleep fine during the day and some have a problem with it. Night I've always got awake and inspired and about as far from wanting to sleep as possible. Its like when the sun goes down I shift into inspirational mode. I've gone through many a half asleep morning when I had to be somewhere and a wide awake afternoon.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:45 AM

2,399 posts, read 2,759,770 times
Please don't use this as an excuse to habitually purposefully avoid sleep.

Sleep is essential & actually, it is impossible to not sleep for too long.
The body may not go into a deep sleep, but after so long, the body will go into like a zoning state, even if just for a few seconds.

Sleep restores the body & mind. REM is especially important & when denied, leads to anxiety & irritability. Sleep, especially REM, is important for memory and learning.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Please don't use this as an excuse to habitually purposefully avoid sleep.

Sleep is essential & actually, it is impossible to not sleep for too long.
The body may not go into a deep sleep, but after so long, the body will go into like a zoning state, even if just for a few seconds.

Sleep restores the body & mind. REM is especially important & when denied, leads to anxiety & irritability. Sleep, especially REM, is important for memory and learning.
No doubt. Depriving oneself of sleep as a from of self-medicating is as bad as using alcohol or drugs. I've stayed up from time to time when already still awake into the morning hours in an effort to get to sleep early that next night and get my cycle back on track, though this past time I just ended up sleeping two nights worth and thus not correcting my sleep cycle. As for sleeping too much, I think that's entirely possible and can be problematic. I think there's a balance here and I think just getting less sleep, say 7 solid hours a night, would help me feel better.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:16 PM

8,712 posts, read 10,291,602 times
staying up all night or messed up sleep patterns can also cause sleep paralysis if anyone ever had that happen, as I did 2 nights ago, it's f'ing terrible/terrifying!

Old 12-19-2013, 04:08 AM

This thread topic is interesting, but didn't generate much interest....

Old 12-19-2013, 08:28 AM

17,455 posts, read 16,313,538 times
"However, the study also shows that the increase in dopamine cannot compensate for the cognitive deficits caused by sleep deprivation."

Old 12-20-2013, 04:02 AM

^That's true. You need sleep. It's just interesting that sleep deprivation increases dopamine. What's even more interesting, for me, is that I sensed, suspected it, and it seems to be true.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:09 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,316,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
^That's true. You need sleep. It's just interesting that sleep deprivation increases dopamine. What's even more interesting, for me, is that I sensed, suspected it, and it seems to be true.
Yeah I would've suspected it as well, were I familiar with what dopamine was back when I would be sleep deprived on a regular basis (2002-2005). In most cases I considered it a high...I'd almost never go the entire night without sleeping, but I'd often sleep a mere couple of hours, and I much preferred the next-day effects of that amount of sleep as compared to the effects of say three to five hours of sleep. The latter amount (3-5) produced irritability and fatigue, but the former amount (1-3) had me riding high for some decent number of hours, before I'd typically crash and collapse into a dream-ridden nap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health