U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:21 AM

8,831 posts, read 10,239,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUGLY View Post
I'd love to just not wake up tomorrow in this ugly, disfigured body.
Damn, sorry you feel that way Fugly. But man do I understand what you are saying, if I didn't wake up (if I could ever freaking go to sleep) tomorrow that would be fantastic right now. I can't take anymore and I'm afraid I'm going to snap and do something to make sure I don't wake up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 03:45 AM

3,841 posts, read 3,919,254 times
Dear god, make me a bird so I can fly far far away...

I just want to sleep, fly away, and never come back.

Down in a hole, feeling so small. Down in a hole, losing my soul. I'd like to fly, but my wings have been so denied.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:27 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,966,313 times
Yeah sure, I woke up a bit ago, so freaked out, panic, suicidal depression, who the hell wants to be awake if thats the way the day starts. I wish people in general were more understanding of those with these kind of deep overpowering problems. People don't understand the terminal nature of this illness, when its a treatment resistant thing and drugs dont help. They really haven't come very far with mental health treatment, just the same old medicines.

Yes, fly away, thats what I aways say too and never come back. But I'd have to fly with my pets, as they are the reason I'm still here. Too tired try run, too tired to fight. I do wish all of you well, I know you suffer and I know the pain well.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:57 PM

149 posts, read 178,708 times
The first thing I did when I got home from work today was pop a sleeping pill...at 7 pm.

Sleep is the only thing besides food I look forward to anymore. But I guess it could be worse...there have been times when it was 'only' sleep I looked forward to. One year I remember spending Friday evening after getting home from work through Sunday evening in bed...I did this every weekend for months. No phone calls, no cleaning, no leaving the house, no lights on, no music, no tv, just a little bit of food if I got a hunger pain....and back in bed.

I was in denial about my depression for quite some time. Lately I've been feeling like I should just "own" it and accept that I'll never be "one of those happy people". I constantly have negative thoughts all day, every day, and I isolate myself because I don't believe anyone would understand, and I don't want to be seen as the "Debbie Downer"....so I'd rather just not talk to anyone. And so the isolation makes people think I 'can't be bothered with them' so they stop calling. So the result is even more isolation.

I'm not religious but I do think taking one's life is a sin. Plus there are 1 or 2 people that might actually miss me...mainly my mom. I wouldn't leave her in this world by herself. If it weren't for those 2 things, I'd give myself an aggressive deadline to have all of my debt paid off, get everything finished up at work, sell the few possessions I own and just call it a day. I feel no purpose in living, and I simply don't want to be here anymore.

So yea...I can kinda relate.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:26 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,875,459 times
I was actually just thinking about this. I would love to be able to sleep the rest of my life away. Sleep is the only thing I have left.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:52 PM

559 posts, read 1,230,436 times
I would love to sleep forever. I feel like I'm not equipped to deal with people and life in general. I hate the way that people treat each other and the way a lot of people have treated me. Sometimes it feels like life is one struggle after another with certain types of people and certain situations. Especially when difficulty comes up when you least expect it and catches you off guard.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:48 AM

5 posts, read 20,682 times
Guys! This desire for sleeping your life away is a main symptom of depression. Actually I am a little jealous because when I become depressed I CAN'T sleep and you bet your bippy I long for sleep just like the rest of you guys. I'm in a major depression right now and I'm battling w suicidal ideation, as may be some of you other posters, but I want to tell you: This too shall pass! Hold on tight and see a shrink or therapist if your insurance/ finances allow but at least see a health provider because antidepressants can often work wonders! Try not to isolate. Exercise is always recommended for depression but I know from experience it's very hard to exercise or do anything else positive when all you want to do is sleep. It's hard to get from the couch to the refrigerator most days. Good for you guys that continue to work-even if you mostly want to sleep. Fatigue also causes weight gain which just causes more depression. Most people either lose weight or gain weight when they are depressed. This is my 5th major depression-meaning that 4 times I got better and I am holding on to that thought with every fiber of my being. Talking honestly with someone you trust can really help also. We all feel so alone and helpless and hopeless and often hurt physically that its hard to tell another person how we feel. We are afraid of being judged or rejected and it seems like everybody else in the whole world is happy and part of a loving couple while WE are just trying to make it for one more day. If any of you feel suicidal please call the suicide hotline. Their no. Is 1-800-273-8255 and the line is manned night and day. Good luck to all you "sleepers" out there. I'm new here but write me if you ever want to talk. I've been there and done that!!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:03 AM

5 posts, read 20,682 times
Oh Honey! I am SO sorry you are feeling so terrible. You are a good, worthwhile person and you think only your Mom would miss you if you weren't here. I would like to be there with you and just put my arms around you and hold you! You have touched more lives than you are aware of touching. Both my cousin and my brother committed suicide and I understand the feelings of hopelessness and despair that grip you when you are in the dark despair of depression. Depression both hurts and kills. I have often felt that a broken leg would be much better than depression. At least people would understand that you are in pain. Please call the suicide hotline if you ever feel you are going to harm yourself. Their no. is 1-800-273-8255. I have the hotline on speed dial and maybe you should too. If you haven't seen a shrink or a therapist please try to find one. If you have even ONE good friend in this world you are lucky and please talk to her about your feelings. I'm new to this site but you can ALWAYS write me and I will be here for you. Hang in there Sweetheart! You have your whole life in front of you and THINGS WILL GET BETTER!!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:06 AM

10,570 posts, read 11,130,511 times
If I sense my day is off to a bad start...or I sense being depressed...I* have the luxury of resetting my day...I will take a nap and wake up with a new attitude...sleeping is like changing the channel..To want to sleep is not always a sign of some clinical depression..it is a tool...use it and do not be ashamed if you take a break and have a nap....as for sleeping forever..I think they call that death...avoid death at all cost..but not sleep....The only time you heal mentally and physically is when you sleep....but- you have to get out of bed once you are done...and get on with it- which reminds me- I had better have some breakfast.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:35 AM

9,237 posts, read 19,610,621 times
I agree, loving to sleep does not mean a person has depression! I'm also a mental health professional BTW.

Sleeping so much that you avoid responsibilities, interpersonal contact, and life could be a sign of depression (hypersomnia is actually an atypical symptom of depression, as insomnia is a more common symptom).

But loving sleep, wanting to sleep, and prioritizing interrupted time for sleep can be a very healthy thing! I responded to this thread first because of the title. Yes, I love sleep so much, I sometimes wish I could sleep "forever," with "forever" being a bit of an exaggeration. The OP asked about "good feelings," escape, and how dreaming is fun. "Escape" in moderation can be very beneficial, but relying on "escape," any kind of escape, can become unhealthy. Then the thread seemed to attract people who were depressed, and wanted to get away from life by sleeping. I did not see that as the initial intent of the thread. To me, it asked "who loves to sleep?" Me, I do. I love sleep.

Sleeping and dreaming are vital to our health (physical and mental) and our survival. Back in college and in my 20s I spent very little time sleeping. Instead I focused on waking time--being productive. I took pride int hat fact that I had only spet 4 hours the night before, or that I could function on 1-2 hours of sleep at times. But I also had lots of anxiety/worry/stress in my life. When I started prioritizing sleep, and getting a good amount of sleep, I learned that I felt less anxious, I handled the same stresses much better, and I became actually MORE productive. I was awake fewer hours, but those hours were more productive and more enjoyed.
By my early 40s, I learned about myself that I need 9 hours of sleep every night in order to be at my best. That's more than many people need, and certainly more than a lot of people actually get. But I'm the healthiest (mentally and physically) that I've ever been. Sometimes on a weekend when I have nothing scheduled, I enjoy the luxury of sleeping 12 hours straight!
I really recommend that people question the assumption that says "sleep is a waste of time," "sleeping a lot means you're lazy," or "sleeping a lot means you're depressed." If you are still effectively attending to all your responsibilities in life AND sleeping a lot, then none of those assumptions are true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health