Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times

Advertisements

I am seriously thinking about trying Cymbalta. Not only do I have a fairly stout case of fibromyalgia, but I could use the other benefits as well, (antidepressant and weight loss).

The only thing that is stopping me from trying it is the horror stories I have read/heard about withdrawal. I don't like the idea of being on a medication "indefiniately" and certainly, no doctor would prescribe something "forever" so there would be the inevitable withdrawal issues.

If you have gone through this, please post your experiences so that I can get a good, clear picture of whether it is worth it or not. I'd really love to try it, but not if quitting is going to be a horror.

Thanks y'all

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 04:54 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,607,255 times
A prescription medication is not something anyone just decides to take or not take - like serving white or red wine with dinner - on their own and if anyone has a doctor that will prescribe a medication just because a patient thinks they'd like to try it, then that doctor is a quack. Asking about a medication on an internet forum will only net negativity. I found out time and again the only people who were vocal about service or products were the ones that were unhappy or angry about them. Be fair about this and ask your doctor about your fears - and if cymbalta is right for your health issues.

Last edited by AliceT; 07-27-2009 at 05:46 AM..

Old 07-27-2009, 01:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Cymbalta is well-known for causing suicidality when stopped abruptly. You have to taper off, just as you would with Effexor, which can cause seizures. A lot of primary care docs are prescribing antidep these days but you really need to see a psychiatrist to get a diagnosis and appropriate meds.

BTW, Cymbalta can also cause the stray suicidal thought after a few years of use............. The thoughts are really strong and constant when stopping cold-turkey.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:16 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,607,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Cymbalta is well-known for causing suicidality when stopped abruptly.
That is said of a great many anti-depressants. Is it really the medicine or is it that it was treating someone who was at the end of their rope to begin with? Pretty hard to call.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
That is said of a great many anti-depressants. Is it really the medicine or is it that it was treating someone who was at the end of their rope to begin with? Pretty hard to call.
Frankly, at one time or another, I don't know ANYONE who has not had a suicidal thought. Thinking it and doing it are two different things entirely. I don't believe that antidepressants can cause someone to commit suicide. How ironic huh? They're supposed to be ANTIDEPRESSANTS for cripe's sake.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-27-2009, 06:07 PM

Well, I'm a clinical psychologist and it's a pretty well-known effect. People who have never had a suicidal thought before suddenly have one. Being depressed is NOT the same as being suicidal. Feeling hopeless and helpless more frequently lead to suicidal ideation.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:25 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I think it depends, but I have known people to take anti-depressants even though they were not depressed because their doctor told them to and they've developed suicidal thoughts that they probably would not have if they hadn't taken the medication.

If you have questions or worries about medications you should probably discuss it with a doctor you trust.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm a clinical psychologist and it's a pretty well-known effect. People who have never had a suicidal thought before suddenly have one. Being depressed is NOT the same as being suicidal. Feeling hopeless and helpless more frequently lead to suicidal ideation.
That's interesting. What about people who already have them? Does it increase the actual suicide rate?

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 PM

What can - but not has to - happen is that if someone who is feeling profoundly depressed and hopeless, and has no energy and no initiative, starts feeling a little better, due to meds/therapy, they will get enough energy to actually try suicide. It's something we watch for in certain patients.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
What can - but not has to - happen is that if someone who is feeling profoundly depressed and hopeless, and has no energy and no initiative, starts feeling a little better, due to meds/therapy, they will get enough energy to actually try suicide. It's something we watch for in certain patients.
That's amazing. There are people out there who are actually TOO depressed to kill themselves, and have to get a little better to actually do it.

WOW, just wow.

Anyway, I've been suicidal in the past, but am very happy now, so I think I'll be safe. At least I hope so. I'll tell my dh if I start looking/acting depressed to do something.... What would he do anyway? How do you fix it if your anti-depressant makes you depressed? Get on an anti-anxiety drug?

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health