U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:21 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,986 posts, read 5,913,747 times

Advertisements

I was just prescribed Celexa and was wondering if anyone has experience with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 01:18 PM

102 posts, read 286,520 times
I've never tried the drug, but I can tell you what I know as a nursing student. Celexa (generic name citalopram) is used to treat depression. Common side effects include: apathy, confusion, drowsiness, insomnia, weakness, abdominal pain, anorexia, diarrhea, dry mouth, dyspepsia (upset stomach, indigestion), nausea, sweating, and tremor. These are common side effects, but it doesn't mean that all of these will happen if you take the drug.

When you first begin this drug, you should avoid driving or operating machinery until you know how the drug affects you. You should avoid alcohol, antihistamines, narcotic pain medications, or other depressants when using this drug. You should change positions slowly to minimize dizziness. You should use sunscreen and wear protective clothing because this drug can make you more sensitive to the sun. This drug may cause dry mouth, but frequent mouth rinses, good oral hygiene, and sugarless gum or candy may provide some relief.

You should not start this drug within 14 days of stopping an MAO inhibitor. You should also wait 14 days after stopping Celexa to begin taking an MAO inhibitor.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:40 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,877,063 times
I switched to Celexa from Paxil CR. I like the Celexa better, and I'm on a lower dose. The only side effect that I have experienced is a decrease in appetite.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:57 PM

17,488 posts, read 21,893,859 times
I am on the generic for about 4 years now called citalopram, it works well I take 20 mg. Theonly side effect I have is decreased appetite.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:23 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,852,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I was just prescribed Celexa and was wondering if anyone has experience with it?
I was prescribed Celexa for social anxiety in 1995 it helped alot but the meds did not get rid of the symptoms completely. In 1997 I started to use Paxil now that was the right medication for me, I think it's also the most potent one in the SSRI family. Weight gain is a common side effect with these drugs, I was really skinny before I started to use Celexa but now I have normal weight so for me it was a blessing. As for the side effects mentioned by another poster I did not experience any. But with medications it's an individual thing.

On a sidenote, my friend was prescribed Celexa and got rather unpleasant side effects. He was running around on a vacant lot screaming B-52 planes are dropping bombs on us. No lie, but I would say a very uncommon side effect. (psychotic behavior)

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 05-23-2012 at 04:33 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 05:37 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,986 posts, read 5,913,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRNStudent View Post
I've never tried the drug, but I can tell you what I know as a nursing student. Celexa (generic name citalopram) is used to treat depression. Common side effects include: apathy, confusion, drowsiness, insomnia, weakness, abdominal pain, anorexia, diarrhea, dry mouth, dyspepsia (upset stomach, indigestion), nausea, sweating, and tremor. These are common side effects, but it doesn't mean that all of these will happen if you take the drug.

When you first begin this drug, you should avoid driving or operating machinery until you know how the drug affects you. You should avoid alcohol, antihistamines, narcotic pain medications, or other depressants when using this drug. You should change positions slowly to minimize dizziness. You should use sunscreen and wear protective clothing because this drug can make you more sensitive to the sun. This drug may cause dry mouth, but frequent mouth rinses, good oral hygiene, and sugarless gum or candy may provide some relief.

You should not start this drug within 14 days of stopping an MAO inhibitor. You should also wait 14 days after stopping Celexa to begin taking an MAO inhibitor.
You sound like the end of a commerical

Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 PM

133 posts, read 452,883 times
I switched to it from Paxil and felt very spaced out. Decided I couldn't deal with that side effect while being in college, so I stopped taking them. Been medication free since then. A friend takes Celexa and says it works great for her though, so it really depends.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:20 AM

5,473 posts, read 9,852,179 times
Doctors hand out SSRI nowadays pretty easily. When my mother passed away my sister who has no history of mental problems was prescribed Celexa for normal grief. She started to behave irrationally and you could clearly see she was on some drug. After about one month she stopped taking them and is now back to normal. So definitely not for everybody.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:36 AM

3,632 posts, read 14,886,872 times
It's a good med! I took it to treat my depression. The worst side effect was extreme drowsiness. I ended up taking it at night.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:57 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,789,245 times
No,but I take its close relative Lexapro. So far so good!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health