Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:46 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,644,299 times

Advertisements

If you were violated in the night, where you felt safe, that will take "possibly" therapy to overcome, you have to get into your mind to figure this out. Sometimes all the therapy in the world can't help, unless you can get in there and "self talk" your way through this. In the meantime you need to find a way to relax and reassure yourself that your surroundings are currently safe. I know the feeling of feeling like you need to keep one eye open at all times, it does take a while to get through it, but it will get better. Anxiety plays a huge roll in this, when you get control of the anxiety, then you can start to relax, not until you relax completely, will you get a good nights sleep. This might sound odd but I had a similar situation, I had to teach myself techniques to conquer these fears, therapy only partially helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 02:25 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,357,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
EFT - you can customize it for your specific problem. You can check it out on YouTube.

I also personally like Rescue Remedy for sleep, but I think it has a little alcohol in it (some people can't have any alcohol) . . .
The alcohol in homeopathics and tinctures is so miniscule, your body does not notice. Plus, the minute you add the drops to a sip of water or whatever you use for dilution, any alcoholl evaporates.

But yes, Rescue Remedy is awesome.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:01 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,218,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd637 View Post
When I was 12, something awful happened to me, no need for details. In the 7 years since this incident, I haven't slept at night at all. I can sleep during the day, though. The idea of being asleep at night absolutely terrifies, just the thought that something bad could happen and no one would be awake to help me. It gives me a weird sense of comfort in knowing that someone in my house is awake while I'm sleeping. I've tried any sort of sleep aid a doctor can give, but none of them have any effect on me. Is there anything you can think of that could possibly help me other than sleep aids?
Is there any chance you could bring a dog into your life??.....Sometimes a pet sleeping near you can bring you great comfort and peace...and if anything bad were about to happen...the dog would let you know long before hand....good luck mcd637

Old 06-01-2012, 04:08 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,520,082 times
Quote:
When I was 12, something awful happened to me, no need for details. In the 7 years since this incident, I haven't slept at night at all. I can sleep during the day, though. The idea of being asleep at night absolutely terrifies, just the thought that something bad could happen and no one would be awake to help me. It gives me a weird sense of comfort in knowing that someone in my house is awake while I'm sleeping. I've tried any sort of sleep aid a doctor can give, but none of them have any effect on me. Is there anything you can think of that could possibly help me other than sleep aids?

YES. This mental exercise can stop the incessant thinking. I found an ancient writing as old as bible stuff that referred to "the wheel of the mind." Man! that resonated with me.

www.copingstrategiescd.com is where you can use it right from the website, to try it out if you will. It says "listen free" near the top, I believe. I use this at least once a day.

You won't, if you like it and continue to use it like many of us, need the website for long, the recording. It is so simple that you can just sit in a chair, close eyes and do it, ANd.....I do it at night when in bed, perchance to sleep, laying down of course.

I also sip a couple of ounces of Pom/Cherry juice with a bit of milk stirred in. The Cherry juice has properties like aspirin, and Melatonin in it, and the Pom juice is a blood thinner and I forget what all, but what a healthy little nightcap to have so that may help.

But! the mental observational exercise is THE Key for many of us. It's the most peaceful thing I do in my life, even more peaceful than a jacuzzi or warm bath, though those two can mix very well, I mean the exercise and soaking in warm water.

I hope it works for you. It calms the mind, and much more. Reports of HEALED, yes truly healed PTSD, anger issues, etc....are coming in, hence this exercise is spreading by grass roots news and blessing a ton of folks, many that were at the "end of their ropes."

I wish you well. hugs~

PS, www.patriotoutreach.org is where you can read the front page message about WHAT this exercise is, and how it works so amazingly well. We don't have to be in the military to benefit from it. War is hell and life is hell, quite often. hence, this is helping and even curing family members of the troops....it's THE FIND of this century, apparently.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:25 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,027,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
YES. This mental exercise can stop the incessant thinking. I found an ancient writing as old as bible stuff that referred to "the wheel of the mind." Man! that resonated with me.

www.copingstrategiescd.com is where you can use it right from the website, to try it out if you will. It says "listen free" near the top, I believe. I use this at least once a day.

You won't, if you like it and continue to use it like many of us, need the website for long, the recording. It is so simple that you can just sit in a chair, close eyes and do it, ANd.....I do it at night when in bed, perchance to sleep, laying down of course.

I also sip a couple of ounces of Pom/Cherry juice with a bit of milk stirred in. The Cherry juice has properties like aspirin, and Melatonin in it, and the Pom juice is a blood thinner and I forget what all, but what a healthy little nightcap to have so that may help.

But! the mental observational exercise is THE Key for many of us. It's the most peaceful thing I do in my life, even more peaceful than a jacuzzi or warm bath, though those two can mix very well, I mean the exercise and soaking in warm water.

I hope it works for you. It calms the mind, and much more. Reports of HEALED, yes truly healed PTSD, anger issues, etc....are coming in, hence this exercise is spreading by grass roots news and blessing a ton of folks, many that were at the "end of their ropes."

I wish you well. hugs~

PS, www.patriotoutreach.org is where you can read the front page message about WHAT this exercise is, and how it works so amazingly well. We don't have to be in the military to benefit from it. War is hell and life is hell, quite often. hence, this is helping and even curing family members of the troops....it's THE FIND of this century, apparently.
OMG! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting this link. It has helped me so much!!!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:29 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,520,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
OMG! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting this link. It has helped me so much!!!

You too! YES...it's the ONE thing in my entire life, besides and just under God that I give the most credit for my life getting better as I get older, and not worse.
There's hope even for my rotten self.

PS, please do as I am doing since it's helped you a ton, too, and help spread the word about this truly FREE gift, no strings attached. Tell others, show others, post about it, etc.
It's something that has huuge potential to help almost anyone and everyone. Imagine.....

Healing a nation...healing a world....no bandaids but a cure to whatever ails us.
hugs~

Old 06-02-2012, 07:02 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,862,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Actually if you have it bottled up, this might happen. When you open up the bottle, it comes spilling out and is harder to deal with. What helps for some is writing it out. Just let it flow. If you need to vent then say all that comes to you. You'll never help yourself if you can't define all the little parts of the problem. Some keep the writing, but you can rip it up or burn it, symbolically letting it go. You can make a list of issues which come from the problem, and break them down smaller and smaller until they become managable ideas to deal with.

When you keep it big and threatening like a giant storm, all you can do is deal with the results. As you do it well may seem worse. There was one trigger before, the issue itself, and now there are splintered pieces. But you'll learn to deal with it piece by piece, and it isn't easy, but its how you reclaim yourself. Baby steps.

Ask your terapist about ways to diffuse the bad moments and learn from them, be it a journal or a phone call or some other means. What works for one may not for another. But there is no magic pill or words to take away pain without seeing who's behind the curtain.
Use your mind and your rational thoughts to fight it...you can't FEEL it away, you've got to REASON it away.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:35 PM

25 posts, read 80,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Just so you know, there is also a theory that talk therapy can make it worse by making a well-entrenched groove in your brain where your "story" resides.

That's interesting, I've never heard that before.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:37 PM

25 posts, read 80,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Is there any chance you could bring a dog into your life??.....Sometimes a pet sleeping near you can bring you great comfort and peace...and if anything bad were about to happen...the dog would let you know long before hand....good luck mcd637
I've thought of it, but my landlord won't allow dogs. I have a cat, but cats don't have the same "protector" role as dogs.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:03 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,027,978 times
Quote:
I've thought of it, but my landlord won't allow dogs. I have a cat, but cats don't have the same "protector" role as dogs.
If you have a pdoc they can certify your animal a "pet assistance therapy" dog and the landlord HAS to allow it, per ADA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health