U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:43 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,827,426 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure what forum to post this in, but since the goal is to achieve mental wellbeing, this seemed as good as any.

I've dabbled in different kinds of meditation over the years as an extension of my yoga practice but have never been able to stick with it long enough to see any tangible results.

TM is endorsed by a number of celebrities (Howard Stern, David Lynch, Ellen DeGeneres, Clint Eastwood, Jerry Seinfeld, etc.) & I have heard about the town in Iowa filled with TM practitioners. But I haven't been able to figure out how it differs from other forms of meditation & why it's so expensive to learn...$1500 for adults. I've visited the official TM website before and I get that there's something about the technique that requires in-person instruction but the price still seems exorbitant.

Has anyone here learned the technique and is it really worth it? What results have you seen and did you try other (cheaper) types of meditation first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,247,359 times
I took a community yoga class for a reasonable price and felt like it did a lot for me. I got a job and could no longer attend that particular class because of my schedule.

A new yoga studio opened up near my home. I went to visit. The price was ridiculously high in my opinon. My think is, it shouldn't be so expensive to achieve health and well being. And, if a person is so well balanced why do they need to make a fortune to teach others to acheive the same?

I understand it costs money to run a business, but I have to be sceptical of people who claim to have found "inner peace" and health but can't share this information with others for a reasonable price.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:00 PM

24,682 posts, read 47,243,208 times
A true TM yogi/teacher would not be concerned with material wealth. I would be wary of anyone charging $1500 (is that a session or a course?).

I can't speak of TM, but I think meditation itself is probably helpful. Just the process of clearing your mind and being in a state of restful peace with oneself and oneness with your surroundings.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:27 AM

185 posts, read 232,786 times
I remember about 30 or 40 years ago(?boy do I sound old!!) that TM was quite popular. My mother did it for several years and it was extremely beneficial to her. I remember at the time it was so prevalent, and she used to comment that all the programs were free(She even received a monthly magazine I believe that was also free)... and she couldnt understand how they were able to do it. I have thought about it from time to time, but never did try it. I am amazed tht it is so pricey. I would look a bit more and see if you can at least find something at amuch lower cost. The fact that it used to be free and is now$1500 really makes me wonder. But again, I do know it was very helpful and we all noticed a difference when she did it and when she stopped. (she did it for several years, way back when). I may just try now to look into it again and if I see something more reasonable price wise will definitely post back.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
A true TM yogi/teacher would not be concerned with material wealth. I would be wary of anyone charging $1500 (is that a session or a course?).
That is the going rate for the official course.

TM course tuition

There are 7 steps to the course which may be spread out over a period of time but looks like it adds up to no more than 6 hours altogether. Well, they do say there is a "free lifetime follow-up program":

Learn the Transcendental Meditation Technique

Crazy, right? A person could go to several yoga workshops (which will typically include some meditation practice) with some of the best teachers in the country for less than that.

I wish I could find some of those materials from the 70s that were given out free...just because I'm really curious as to what makes TM different.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:38 PM

82,802 posts, read 75,834,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
I wasn't sure what forum to post this in, but since the goal is to achieve mental wellbeing, this seemed as good as any.

I've dabbled in different kinds of meditation over the years as an extension of my yoga practice but have never been able to stick with it long enough to see any tangible results.

TM is endorsed by a number of celebrities (Howard Stern, David Lynch, Ellen DeGeneres, Clint Eastwood, Jerry Seinfeld, etc.) & I have heard about the town in Iowa filled with TM practitioners. But I haven't been able to figure out how it differs from other forms of meditation & why it's so expensive to learn...$1500 for adults. I've visited the official TM website before and I get that there's something about the technique that requires in-person instruction but the price still seems exorbitant.

Has anyone here learned the technique and is it really worth it? What results have you seen and did you try other (cheaper) types of meditation first?
They charge a lot in part because they guarantee results. But a German study found that many TM-ers experienced strong adverse effects over time.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:59 PM

5,006 posts, read 14,127,622 times
Please do not waste your money on TM. I took TM in the 80s. Then I went on to other Hindu groups and then to Buddhism. TM is the same as that taught in other Hindu groups, and it is free there. I find that Zen Buddhism meditation to be the best, such as that taught by Thich Nhat Hanh and Mindfulness Meditation. They are free.

TM people have had the most problems in regards to ending up with psychological damage as well. Here is a link:

Falling Down the TM Rabbit Hole, How TM Really Works, a Critical Opinion

This website is from an exTMer.

Here is another website with information on dangers of meditation:

DowntheCrookedPath: Dangers of Meditation-- Correspond to Hellish States

If I were going to meditate again, I would stick with Buddhist.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:04 PM

7,300 posts, read 5,782,229 times
Meditation of any sort truly works. Doesn't have to be TM or any other specific style of meditation.

Meditation generally consists of simply concentrating on a sound, a very simple word (that can be a religious term or name), or keeping the mind blank (if you can manage that). Listening to gentle music while doing it helps a lot (I find that classical music doesn't help me, because it's very "heady" music, so I use meditation music). It's important to guide the mind away from worries when it wanders off (sort-of like lassoing a pony and bringing him back, I guess).

This can be done for 5 minutes several times a day (or more, there's no harm).

It's hard for me to get around to it, but the more I do it, the more I do it, and the less I do it, the less I do it. I try to do it upon waking.

End result of doing it? I'm relaxed, more logical, have a better memory, and can handle stress better.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:32 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,415,908 times
Certain forms of meditation can cause bad reactions in some people (as Mattie Jo mentioned above). I've never dabbled in Kundalini Yoga, but TM made my anxiety worse. It didn't help the insomnia I had at the time either. That's not to say it doesn't work with some people. I've just found that TM affects different people in different ways.

I have never had problems with any form of Buddhist meditation. Mindfulness meditation is my favorite. The only negative side effect that I've experienced from MM is 3-5 hour sleep if I meditate in the evening (so I only meditate in the morning). Mind you, when that's happened, I wake up with no drowsiness at all, even if it's like 1:00 in the morning. I like getting my 7-8 hours though.

Edit: The actual TM technique is not unique. It's just a form of Hindu mantra meditation. I don't think the mantras are original either.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:52 PM

Thank you to all that replied. I think my curiosity is satisfied now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health