Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:41 PM

21 posts, read 64,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
What I meant was that I don't know how well you do at school. I apologize if it sounded like I thought you were an idiot because I don't. Sometimes even when people make really good grades they just don't like school and the post graduate work of 4 to 6 years that it takes for the professional position you are talking about is just too much to deal with. I don't mean that you can't do it.
Oh, sorry. Taking things personally is something i've always done.
well, anyway, I'm doing pretty good. A's B's and the occasional C in my math courses. I like school, it gives me something to put my mind on, to just get lost in idead, theroys and formulas. Thanks, and sorry for my suspicions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 09:42 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorhound View Post
Hey there forum people. So, i've been diagnosed with shizotypal disorder. (or however you spell it) Anyway, I really want to be a research psychologist. I'm currently in college, i've done better with people, therapy is really elping, but will I ever be able to live like a normal person?
I mean, it's kinda fun being the weird me, but if this will ruin my life then I just want to be a normal stereotypical human! So, is it possible for me to get a professional scientific job?

LOL I Love your attitude!

I am sure you will be able to become ANYTHING you put your mind to, if you keep on your meds.

There is a very, very fine line between intelligence and mental illness...in fact recent research indicates that the higher the IQ, the higher the likliehood.

There IS a link between genius and madness, claim scientists - but we don't know why we evolved this 'gift' | Mail Online

By the way, when you leave college and get a job, any job, you will quickly realise that approximately 40% of the people you work with can easily be described as "crazy". They just don't have a diagnosis.

Good luck! I expect great things from you!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:46 PM

And I love your username! very.... punny? okay, that sucked.
Well anyway, thanks. It's a recent diagnosis so I've been getting nervous that what I always saw as my slight eccentricity might prevent me from achiveing my dreams. Also, I read that 70 to 80 percent of people with schizopherenia spectrum disorders are unemployed, so that kinda scared me.
Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:47 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,165,804 times
Quote:
Oh, sorry. Taking things personally is something i've always done.
well, anyway, I'm doing pretty good. A's B's and the occasional C in my math courses. I like school, it gives me something to put my mind on, to just get lost in idead, theroys and formulas. Thanks, and sorry for my suspicions.

No worries!! You have a great attitude, and I'm sure that you will accomplish your goals.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 PM

Thank you so much. Optimism is one thing that I know i can hold on to, so I try to keep it, (in my snarky sarcastic way, of course!)

Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Don't let others define you or put a label on you that limits your potential. You can create the life you want.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:21 PM

102 posts, read 312,291 times
I'm a third semester nursing student currently doing my mental health course. Schizotypal disorder isn't as severe as schizophrenia, and, from what I've read, it can be successfully treated. Clozapine seems to be a miracle drug, and it seems as though most patients have a lot of success with it. Lithium is also an effective drug, and it works exceptionally well for most people.

The key to doing well with any mental illness is continued therapy, strict adherence to the medication regimen, careful observations of yourself, and knowing your limits. You don't want to go out and drink, party very wildly, or take drugs. You don't want to put yourself under extremely stressful conditions (I'm not talking about daily manageable stress). If you notice that you are having increased symptoms, you want to contact your physician.

You can live a successful and productive life with mental illness. It is entirely possible that you can achieve your goals. In short, no, you will never live like a normal person. You will always need medications, therapy, and other treatment modalities. However, you can be successful in life, and you can achieve your goals.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:00 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,434 times
Be careful not to become your diagnosis. You can be whatever you put your mind to being.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:02 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:

so, can someone with a mental illness be a psychologist? mine is fairly mild, so I hope so.
Sure you can horrorhound...in fact I think it might be one of the pre-requisites....good luck

Old 06-11-2012, 07:17 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
I've given up in that regard. Only thing I want to do with my life is end it.

Signed,
36 year old loser (the type that gets blasted here a lot)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health