U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:01 PM

21 posts, read 59,729 times

Advertisements

Hey there forum people. So, i've been diagnosed with shizotypal disorder. (or however you spell it) Anyway, I really want to be a research psychologist. I'm currently in college, i've done better with people, therapy is really elping, but will I ever be able to live like a normal person?
I mean, it's kinda fun being the weird me, but if this will ruin my life then I just want to be a normal stereotypical human! So, is it possible for me to get a professional scientific job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 10:29 PM

2,979 posts, read 4,425,533 times
Schizophrenia? or do you just have some of the symptoms of it? There are several types of schizophrenia from severe to mild. Most are treated with medication and as long as the meds are taken as prescribed the person is usually fine. Counseling is also helpful, so keep it up. Normal is whatever works for you! Good luck!

Old 06-03-2012, 10:50 PM

schizotypal personality disorder. I've been perscribed lithium and Clozapine.

From wikipedia:
A pervasive pattern of social and interpersonal deficits marked by acute discomfort with, and reduced capacity for, close relationships as well as by cognitive or perceptual distortions and eccentricities of behavior, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts as indicated by 5 or more:[list][*]Ideas of reference (excluding delusions of reference)Odd beliefs or magical thinkingthat is inconsistent with subcultural norms (e.g. superstition, belief in clairvoyance, telepathy, "sixth sense", or bizarre fantasies or preoccupations)Unusual perceptual experiences, including bodily illusionsOdd thinking and speech (e.g. vague, circumstantial, metaphorical, or stereotyped speaking)Suspiciousness or paranoid ideation Inappropriate or constricted affectBehavior or appearance that is odd, eccentric or peculiarLack of close friends or confidants other than first degree relative Excessive social anxiety that does not diminish with familiarity and tends to be associated with paranoid fears rather than negative judgments about self

so, can someone with a mental illness be a psychologist? mine is fairly mild, so I hope so.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:03 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,259,703 times
Dunno, probly could, but remind me never to go to you for help should you ever become one.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:33 PM

15,325 posts, read 8,491,629 times
Have you ever seen the movie A beautiful Mind with Russell Crowe?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:50 AM

8,712 posts, read 10,292,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorhound View Post
Hey there forum people. So, i've been diagnosed with shizotypal disorder. (or however you spell it) Anyway, I really want to be a research psychologist. I'm currently in college, i've done better with people, therapy is really elping, but will I ever be able to live like a normal person?
I mean, it's kinda fun being the weird me, but if this will ruin my life then I just want to be a normal stereotypical human! So, is it possible for me to get a professional scientific job?

i agree with animalcrazy watch that movie if you haven't, it's based on a true story.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:10 PM

2,845 posts, read 7,592,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorhound View Post

Sure it is! It is classified under the Personality Disorders, but is frequently viewed as part of the Schizophrenic Spectrum.

You have several favourable factors. You are young, you are in treatment, it sounds like you have good awareness of the condition. You have selected a profession (research) that might deal mainly w/ data gathering (which might limit the uncomfortable interpersonal relationships).

My advice, stay in treatment, keep (develop) your sense of humour, learn as much as you can about appropriate (acceptable ideas and social responses) behaviours. Never lose the part of you that enjoys "the weird me".

Oh and John Nash (the real person that Russell Crowe plays in the movie, has full blown Schizophenia.

Good luck, stay in school and finish that degree!

Old 06-04-2012, 04:28 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,874,874 times
I don't know how you are in school, but I would see no problem in a research related field. IMHO I would not go into a field where you interacted with patients or clients in a therapy situation. I could see some problems developing with a therapist or someone who had to interpret behavioral data in person who had trouble with what is and is not reality. Other then that you can do anything that you are qualified for. It's good to hear that your therapy and meds are working well for you. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
I don't know how you are in school, but I would see no problem in a research related field. IMHO I would not go into a field where you interacted with patients or clients in a therapy situation. I could see some problems developing with a therapist or someone who had to interpret behavioral data in person who had trouble with what is and is not reality. Other then that you can do anything that you are qualified for. It's good to hear that your therapy and meds are working well for you. Good luck and keep up the good work!
What do you mean you don't know how I am in school? I did what most people do, go to highschool, work hard and apply for a college!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:33 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,874,874 times
What I meant was that I don't know how well you do at school. I apologize if it sounded like I thought you were an idiot because I don't. Sometimes even when people make really good grades they just don't like school and the post graduate work of 4 to 6 years that it takes for the professional position you are talking about is just too much to deal with. I don't mean that you can't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health