U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2012, 04:27 PM
 
1,245 posts, read 1,574,452 times
Reputation: 1352

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
I have a friend who has a miserable life, but she does have many materialistc things and appears to have the perfect marriage. She spends all of her energy trying very hard to portray that she has it all. A lot of times those people who you think have it all really don't. I also know people who got everything they always wanted, but because thye didn't fix what was going wrong inside of them they could never truly be happy.
But at least your friend has that stuff and the marriage. Imagine if she had stuff going wrong on the inside PLUS no stuff and no spouse! That's me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2012, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,248 posts, read 1,875,689 times
Reputation: 2495
Well, she does not truly enjoy any of the things she has. She would quite honestly be miserable with or without them. I do see your point though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Clovis Strong, NM
3,376 posts, read 5,038,172 times
Reputation: 1999
People can succeed all they want and I attempt to not let it bother me.

However, simple things I want, like finding a cheap apartment some place and doing security work the rest of my life, doesn't appear to be going together.
After seeing how disastrous my only other line of work was becoming for me, I decided to stick around at my stepdads place for awhile and work security with a company I was previously with.
Unfortunately, he's giving me hints that rent/no rent, he doesn't want me around here anymore simply because he thinks I'm too old to be at a parents house anymore(he was one of those that left home at 18 and never looked back, I've never lived on my own before.).

To make matters worse, he and my mom have been divorced for about 16 years and I've been financially assisting my mom since she stopped working in '04.
I'm not quite sure about the conditions of others, but I feel as though she's sabotaged me from getting on my own for the sake of wanting to keep me around as a sort of caregiver.
Good examples of this were using my name in credit applications early in my life when I wasn't working.

Any ways, it's gotten to that point where I'm no longer going to be able to support her if I decide to keep to this same type of work any longer.

I actually feel comfortable with my current job.
The only thing that makes me angry about anything is the fact that I may have to become "more successful" in order to fix the mistakes and right the wrongs others have made.
Sad thing is that I've spent most of my 20s attempting to clear these debts and haven't really succeeded much in doing so.

Only thing keeping me going is the fact that I may eventually reach my "success level" of paying all those things off.
Get a small piece of land and become that cranky old guy that throws things at people from the porch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
5,364 posts, read 4,729,021 times
Reputation: 6561
OMG, talk about being left behind! When the recession started, that was the beginning of the end for my career. Then my wife left. In the community where I live I've seen people meet, date, get married, have children, move up in their careers while I struggle to hold onto a house I hate (the house I was married in), continuously look for a job, and wonder if life has completely passed me by. I'm 43, no kids, divorced, and almost no hope at this point. Yeah, I know how it feels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Purgatory
2,663 posts, read 4,677,281 times
Reputation: 3054
I hear ya. I stopped caring about "other people" quite some time ago though. I'm more concerned with how to get out of my own ****ty situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Clovis Strong, NM
3,376 posts, read 5,038,172 times
Reputation: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I hear ya. I stopped caring about "other people" quite some time ago though. I'm more concerned with how to get out of my own ****ty situation.
If there's two things that will assist me in my goals in life, it will be staying away from people that should care for themselves, and also staying away from places I don't care about.

When/If I have to get reemployed in my other line of work, I feel myself doing a much a better job if I never have to take a load past the "imaginary line" I drew on the map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 09:22 AM
 
5,617 posts, read 14,031,240 times
Reputation: 2775
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
Is anyone else going through this? I feel so alone right now.
Due to bad luck/no luck and some metal health issues I haven't gotten very far in my life. Pretty much everything has been a failure or has come to nothing. What makes this worse is that I'm constantly surrounded by people who seem to "have it all." Good relationships, good jobs, good health, good mental health, good friends, etc. It seems so easy for these people. Not saying that life hasn't handed these people some hard times but in the end everything seems to work out and they usually come out in an even BETTER situation. They are always trading up while I just stay at zero.
I know we aren't supposed to compare ourselves to other people but when other people's "riches" are thrown in your face daily it's kind of hard not to notice. All of this leaves me feeling very depressed and like I don't know what to do or try next. I feel totally lost in life.
I'm interested in hearing from other's going through this same thing. Am I the only one feeling like this?
Yes at times I feel my life SUCKS!!! It totally sucks. And you are talking to someone with money and will never have a money problem. So you cant count the money factor or being successful to be happy. Your not alone in some way at all. Believe me if I had the guts to end it I would. However I keep saying things are not that bad yet. But when they get that bad im out of here. I know this post wont cheer you up but I am in the my life sucks club too! I am on the endless cycle of being miserable. From the outside you would think I got it all, HA, the jokes on them. I have millions, a nice home, never any money concerns, I am in good health, great shape and MY LIFE still suck. Boy this feels good to get this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 11:15 AM
 
Location: On the corner of Grey Street
6,118 posts, read 8,703,734 times
Reputation: 11671
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
you don't know me, so don't assume things
From your own post you're a loser stuck at home. This is the internet. What am I supposed to assume from those words except that you are a loser who stays at home...i.e. you sit around instead of working to make things better for yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 AM
 
18,847 posts, read 32,750,558 times
Reputation: 26181
Nothing is going to happen in your life sitting at home. Go out. Get a job. Go to the health club. Force yourself to get a life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 03:59 PM
 
Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,986 posts, read 5,909,860 times
Reputation: 3645
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
From your own post you're a loser stuck at home. This is the internet. What am I supposed to assume from those words except that you are a loser who stays at home...i.e. you sit around instead of working to make things better for yourself?
don't know don't care leave me alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top