Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 05:39 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,579,035 times

Advertisements

My "victories" mean a lot to me......and probably mean nothing to anyone else.

I don't really care though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 05:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
You are not mentally ill -
you are a democrat who does not have a limousine but the other Democrats do and you are wondering why if we are all playing by the same rules

Old 07-15-2018, 06:50 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
My son feels that way. I remind him that he is his own person, he can't compare himself to others, he is unique and to value what he can do, his accomplishments. Too many dwell on the negative or want what they can't reach. Life shouldn't be judged by unfilled goals.

Start small set steps, make those goals, focus on one thing at a time. Before you know it, you've reached a goal. I bet if you look back in your life you can say. . . Yeah, I was this way back then and I'm sure glad I changed. Many people don't sit down and think how far they've come. Think of the positives.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:10 PM

86 posts, read 123,169 times
It is not necessarily watching other people "succeed", I guess sometimes I feel down when i see other people living life, enjoying life. For the most part, I am unaware of them accomplishing goals, but I see them enjoying life and participating in things that I can't right now. But I must admit that sometimes I do get jealous when people are accomplishing minor feats that I can't seem to accomplish especially when I work harder, specifically in reference to jobs. Sometimes I wonder how X person can get hired for Y position when I they don't have the education I do, nor the experience, or hell even the ability to articulate themselves as well as I can. Hey, but I guess if something is not for you, it's not for you. This job search I have been on has been wearing me down especially with my latest rejection. That hurt the most because i did great on the interview only to be hit by requirements that weren't listed on the job ad. SMH.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:30 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blancojewel912 View Post
The job market is the toughest test for anyone. As my husband and a few friends have told me it isn't always the resume or the school they graduated from, it's the whole package. There are many applicants that are equality qualified. It's whether they're looking for someone that's married, because married people are more stable. A more mobile job would better suit a single person due to not having the spouse and kids to worry about. Yes, a job interview is a lot about how you present yourself but you also need to ask them what the company will do for you. It's a two way street. Yes, I will work for you but in return, what will you do for me? How can I advance within your company as an electrical engineer when you're a chemical company? Actually, your response makes me think you should visit the jobs section of this forum and get better information.

My dad said on a resume the first few sentences need to catch his eye. Then he looks for someone who is committed that thinks outside the box. Willing to listen and to learn. A lot of it is the work ethic, too. At one time he was in acquisitions for Pluess Staufer (OMYA) yet his degree was in accounting. He was cut throat in hiring and firing, always putting the company first in his decisions.

My son went through so many interviews and job applications, he just sees it as a process. At one time he and a lady were the two being considered and he was dropped. He didn't have any experience in the industry and she did. Sure he was upset and talked about it but moved on. You can't get your hopes up every single time.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:22 PM

854 posts, read 520,096 times
Yes, I totally get it it's one of the reasons why I isolate and have no friends or contact with family anymore. It's a monster I can't overcome, so I had to give up trying and opted for avoidance instead. I don't even watch TV or read anymore.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:21 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
Is anyone else going through this? I feel so alone right now.
Due to bad luck/no luck and some metal health issues I haven't gotten very far in my life. Pretty much everything has been a failure or has come to nothing. What makes this worse is that I'm constantly surrounded by people who seem to "have it all." Good relationships, good jobs, good health, good mental health, good friends, etc. It seems so easy for these people. Not saying that life hasn't handed these people some hard times but in the end everything seems to work out and they usually come out in an even BETTER situation. They are always trading up while I just stay at zero.
I know we aren't supposed to compare ourselves to other people but when other people's "riches" are thrown in your face daily it's kind of hard not to notice. All of this leaves me feeling very depressed and like I don't know what to do or try next. I feel totally lost in life.
I'm interested in hearing from other's going through this same thing. Am I the only one feeling like this?
These are the lies your mind feeds you to keep you sick.
You can spit them out or injest them.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:27 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Yes, I totally get it it's one of the reasons why I isolate and have no friends or contact with family anymore. It's a monster I can't overcome, so I had to give up trying and opted for avoidance instead. I don't even watch TV or read anymore.
Same here. I feel like I have nothing in common with those in my circle - they all are married, own homes, have stable careers, have kids. I know they are not "better" than me, but in terms of life experience and sharing good times, it would be like socializing with strangers.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:52 AM

854 posts, read 520,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Same here. I feel like I have nothing in common with those in my circle - they all are married, own homes, have stable careers, have kids. I know they are not "better" than me, but in terms of life experience and sharing good times, it would be like socializing with strangers.
Yep. Pretty much everyone my age is married with brats. I have nothing in common with those people and they seem go just want to be friends with other parents anyway.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:56 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Yep. Pretty much everyone my age is married with brats. I have nothing in common with those people and they seem go just want to be friends with other parents anyway.
Very true. Often, when they reach out, it is obligatory since they know I am alone. I find couples generally prefer to socialize with other couples. There is nothing wrong with that, but it does help cement my view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health