Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 06:03 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times

Advertisements

I know this flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but suicide rates are higher in warmer months than around the holiday season.

Suicide rate season: There more suicides in spring and not during the holidays.

There are some theories in that article and more elsewhere online. I know personally speaking, my depression rises in the summer and has for years. I think a lot of that is because folks remember to reach out to me during the holidays. During the summer, they don't reach out as often as they're on vacation or spending time with their kids on summer break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 06:11 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
I can imagine any number of reasons for this.

Firstly as you say people tend to reach out to others less in the Summer Season. Times like Christmas and Thanksgiving and similar are times of year when we are almost conditioned to think of other people - especially those who are alone. But summer not so much.

But I think there is more to it.

One thing is that summer is a time when Body Shame can become exacerbated. With more people displaying more body parts and advertisements pushing Beach Body Imagery - a lot of people with personal issues over appearance will suffer.

PDAs are for similar reasons more common - which can hang on the minds of people who are single or lonely. I would also not be surprised at all if Summer Months were a time when people are more likely to cheat on their partners at parties or on holidays or more. There is also more parties in the summer which means more uptake of alcohol and drugs which can be linked to suicide at times.

Another is that finances become apparent to people. Those around them might be talking about their great holidays they have booked and so on. Making people feel bad about their lack of money and ability to finance such things for themselves or their own families.

It is also a time of year - here in my country for sure - when life changing and influencing results come out of schools and colleges. Here in Ireland the results you get from your final school exams can decide if you will get the college/uni you want or not. And a lot of people can be deeply affected by failures in this.

I am sure the list goes on and on but they are the ones that jumped quickly into my head.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:33 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I know this flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but suicide rates are higher in warmer months than around the holiday season.

Suicide rate season: There more suicides in spring and not during the holidays.

There are some theories in that article and more elsewhere online. I know personally speaking, my depression rises in the summer and has for years. I think a lot of that is because folks remember to reach out to me during the holidays. During the summer, they don't reach out as often as they're on vacation or spending time with their kids on summer break.
Interesting article. You would think that people would be outside more during warm weather and thus exposure to vitamin D would vitiate depression.

From what I can gather from Facebook groups for music teachers, Yahoogroups and other forums, most private teachers have a bit of a struggle during summer because so many students take off, are on vacation for 2-4 weeks or more, or don't practice as much. If teacher doesn't have any savings or other source of income it can be worrisome. I get bored with too much time on my hands, and I miss my students. Students who practice more, rather than less over the break are ahead of the others when school starts.

I try to use the time to clean house, physically and professionally, explore new literature and plan for the next year.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:13 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I'm not taking time to research this but when I was studying depression forty years ago the most common time to commit suicide was in April in the morning. I always thought that seemed so counterintuitive. But it was explained to me that deeply depressed people sometimes lack the energy to plan and commit suicide. So, as things begin to look up and they feel better that is when they may be at higher risk.

Currently I have read articles that most suicides are now taking place between two and three in the morning which may be a reflection of social stress and sleep disorders. I mean, who exactly is thinking optimistically at three in the morning if they'd rather be sleeping?

Old 07-26-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Currently I have read articles that most suicides are now taking place between two and three in the morning which may be a reflection of social stress and sleep disorders. I mean, who exactly is thinking optimistically at three in the morning if they'd rather be sleeping?
That's an interesting point. I've always been a night owl, but I had been noticing lately tat the later I stayed up, the worse I felt mentally. 3 a.m. was about the latest I could be up and not start feeling the depression closing in really bad. I've been going to sleep earlier lately and have also noted I am sleeping less. Closer to nine hours a night instead of 12 or more now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Interesting article. You would think that people would be outside more during warm weather and thus exposure to vitamin D would vitiate depression
You have to be outside for that. I can't stand the heat so if I can stay inside, I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Another is that finances become apparent to people. Those around them might be talking about their great holidays they have booked and so on. Making people feel bad about their lack of money and ability to finance such things for themselves or their own families.
Another good point.

I look back at the last three years and my depression is darkest late in the summer. I guess ther comes a point when I just can't take it anymore. I hope realizing my troubles in the summer helps me this year because the previous three have been rough.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:21 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
I was fascinated by this article when I first saw it because I have said for years that hot weather depresses me and people thought I was crazy.

For me, it just has to do with personal comfort level. I just can't keep cool. I have lived in New England and in the deep south. I find it easier to keep warm than to keep cool (despite a/c).

Old 07-27-2018, 09:52 AM

854 posts, read 520,601 times
My depression Is worse in the summer.

Kids are off school (I'm scared of kids and teenagers)
I don't like having to wear less clothing which exposes my hideous body
I have hyperhidrodis (excessive sweating) which is a million times worse when it's over 65 degrees.
More people are out (not good when you have crippling social anxiety)

Old 07-27-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I was fascinated by this article when I first saw it because I have said for years that hot weather depresses me and people thought I was crazy.
I told someone I thought I had reverse SAD or Seasonal Affective Disorder. First, I had to explain what SAD is, then explain what reverse SAD is. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but reverse SAD is a real thing, although more rare than SAD. I'll be honest. I start getting depressed sometime in late March or early April thinking about the coming summer. I am feeling a flicker of hope now because the NFL is in training camp. NFL = cooler weather.... eventually.

Last summer was the absolute worst for me.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:14 PM

840 posts, read 760,820 times
Quote:
I told someone I thought I had reverse SAD or Seasonal Affective Disorder. First, I had to explain what SAD is, then explain what reverse SAD is. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but reverse SAD is a real thing, although more rare than SAD. I'll be honest. I start getting depressed sometime in late March or early April thinking about the coming summer. I am feeling a flicker of hope now because the NFL is in training camp. NFL = cooler weather.... eventually.

Personally when I've had depression over the years (starting in teens) it was worse as the weather got warmer or it seemed to start then. During spring/summer more people are out and about and it seemed "normal" people felt happy. Even though I can be a bit of a loner, I felt more alienated then because I couldn't always feel that way which made me feel more depressed and alone. Plus I don't like being around lots of people and it seems warmer weather means more people around.

But for you maybe the heat and humidity there make you feel more sluggish/depressed?

Old 07-27-2018, 06:23 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:

NFL does mean fall....

I know about reverse SAD, there have been some posters on cd with the same, so you aren't alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health