U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 AM

5,364 posts, read 4,743,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
I quite enjoyed The Susan Cain book "Quiet: The Hidden Power of Introverts"
I loved this book! As soon as I saw the title, I had to have it. I think I read it in a week. Couldn't put it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 09:37 AM

10,708 posts, read 5,203,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I loved this book! As soon as I saw the title, I had to have it. I think I read it in a week. Couldn't put it down.
Here are couple choice morsels (tidbits which I relate to) from Cain's "Quiet":
Quote:
Originally Posted by book excerpts
pg.152: "It's that it [small talk] comes not at the beginning of conversations but at the end.
In most settings, people use small talk as a way of relaxing into a new relationship,
and only once they're comfortable do they connect more seriously.
Sensitive people seem to do the reverse."

pg.168: "Extroverts appear to allocate most of their cognitive capacity to the goal at hand,
while introverts use up capacity by monitoring how the task is going."

Old 07-06-2013, 08:16 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,253,157 times
Quote:
Am an INTJ.
Then again, I'm dx'd with Asperger's, so it's impossible to separate out that from assessment of "just my personality".

Hate having to transition/switch between tasks, I like to do one thing at a time, in terms of devoting my attention to a mindset/issue.
Getting used to whatever I'm doing takes time, for me to "settle in" to whatever activity that is.
Change throws me off balance & it takes me long time to complete a turnaround/redirection of focus.
I find certain activities occupy particular modules of my mind, so I have to make sure they don't clash or compete with each other.
Can't read & watch tv, but I can draw & watch tv, because the first pairing overwhelms my verbal centers,
while the second pairing doesn't create a traffic jam in my brain, as they are different modes of functioning.

I quite enjoyed The Susan Cain book "Quiet: The Hidden Power of Introverts"
Nice to see an old thread busy again.

I'm currently 'splitting', listening to rather loud Irish folk, and typing. The previous one was songs with works I have memorized so couldn't even read posts and not be distracted. This one I can more but I need the energy boast of the music.

I had a stressful and difficult week last week, remodeling going on daily and stuff moved everywhere. I'm just destressing alot with music and sorting things out. Wish I knew someone to do a good smugging of the house.... But one thing I hate is change. I'll get use to the new stuff, but right now I see the relocated mess and all more.

I find if its an activity which engages both physical things like typing and the creative thought behind it, more engaging than a post, the world around me vanishes. I can't have music on. I don't notice sounds. I am sort of an all or nothing person in terms of interest and results. Once I get deeply involved in a project, be it writing or making and assembling book shelves, there is no 'other things' of importance. I think I really love the rush of finishing and the sense of accomplishment from it too, which makes me feel good about me.

I also like my space undisturbed. What I hated most about the last week was all the people traumping through MY space. Thus the need for a clearing of negative energy. And now that I have two storm doors they'll stay locked, as if my space was broken and has to be secured now. I have to establish my control all over again.

I've read Party of One, which is good but will have to check out that one too. I think we are lucky living in a time when while nobody who isn't will really 'get' us, people on the whole don't make a big fuss about it.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:19 PM

10,708 posts, read 5,203,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Wish I knew someone to do a good smugging of the house....
What does the word "smugging" mean ? I don't understand the sentence.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,253,157 times
Quote:
What does the word "smugging" mean ? I don't understand the sentence.
A smoking of a couple of woods, usually ceder, to drive away the negative energy from a place. I had a neighbor offer before and it did clear the psychic air. It's a native american practice but other forms are used in other non christan forms. I know how to 'clear' a house but you can't really 'clear' your own. Right now I feel like all the frustration and feeling angry and generally things being disrupted by the guy doing the work (some not so well, who doesn't measure????) is still hanging like a cloud.

Neighbor has moved or I'd ask. I thought I'd enjoy watching them but it was rush rush rush, oops cut that again and I just wanted them done and gone.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:59 PM

7,288 posts, read 11,257,870 times
There are ISTJ (and every other combination) forums online and you can learn a lot from others who have similar personality traits.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:00 PM

7,288 posts, read 11,257,870 times
And the word is "smudging," not "smugging."

Old 07-08-2013, 10:10 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,095,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
So I'm real big on self improvement and figuring out where my weaknesses are. My last girlfriend asked me what I disliked most about myself, and I told her it was that I am an introvert. She couldn't believe it. So for those who don't know, ISTJ stands for "Introverted, Sensing, Thinking, and Judgement". So as an introvert who has always been shy, combined with depression, I believe this is an extreme weakness. Also, my "T" score is very high, meaning I overanalyze everything and get stuck in my head. The result is no risk taking, whether its cold calling potential employers or asking women out. I hesitate all the time because I want to say the "right" thing. I feel like I've just missed so many opportunities in life just because of my personality. I've tried to change it so much because I feel flawed. It hasn't worked though. I'm slightly less introverted, but its been a constant battle. Would love to hear others experiences and what has worked or hasn't.
I can say that as an ENFP, I don't feel any less flawed.

I deal with feeling incompetent and unable to focus. When I get depressed or stressed out, I also worry if I have the right skills to hack it in the real world.

I have had bouts of depression and worry, but there is a video that just might make you feel better:

Enneagram might also help.

A friend of mine on here suggested eft worry and that seemed to help.

You and I have the same cognitive functions, just in a reversed order. I am akin to the side of your personality you repress…

Old 07-08-2013, 10:19 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,095,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorhound View Post
Yay, other introverts! ./////.
I'm an INFP, so my experiences are probably different than yours, but we should all be okay with our inrovertyness. Society says we're the weirdos, the eccentric ones, but is it such a crime to go against standards? I say no.
Nyaa~
Love, the surreal introvert,
HorrorHound.

(i also have schizotypal disorder, is that common with any other introverts?)
I suspected that I was INFP for ages, but research has shown that I am indeed an ENFP…

…just with heavy Fi…

Regardless, with my xNFP preference so incredibly strong, I tend to function like an introvert. My "e" preference is moderate (60%), so I can at least be thankful that it isn't so strong that I go insane from a lack of a true niche.

I respect introverts because "I" is nearly as unacceptable in our society as "NFP"…

I've been drugged and ridiculed, but I've trucked on…

Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 PM

42,719 posts, read 45,864,382 times
ENTJ - The Executive

Assertive and outspoken - they are driven to lead. Excellent ability to understand difficult organizational problems and create solid solutions. Intelligent and well-informed, they usually excel at public speaking. They value knowledge and competence, and usually have little patience with inefficiency or disorganization.

My match is INTP.

ENTJ Relationships
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or