U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,091,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Am an INTJ.
Then again, I'm dx'd with Asperger's, so it's impossible to separate out that from assessment of "just my personality".

Hate having to transition/switch between tasks, I like to do one thing at a time, in terms of devoting my attention to a mindset/issue.
Getting used to whatever I'm doing takes time, for me to "settle in" to whatever activity that is.
Change throws me off balance & it takes me long time to complete a turnaround/redirection of focus.
I find certain activities occupy particular modules of my mind, so I have to make sure they don't clash or compete with each other.
Can't read & watch tv, but I can draw & watch tv, because the first pairing overwhelms my verbal centers,
while the second pairing doesn't create a traffic jam in my brain, as they are different modes of functioning.

I quite enjoyed The Susan Cain book "Quiet: The Hidden Power of Introverts"
Nice! Do you frequent personality cafe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 AM

10,704 posts, read 5,190,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Nice! Do you frequent personality cafe?
Nope, never heard of it.
Googled the name & saw the listing, though.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 AM

2,854 posts, read 1,611,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Extraverts are mainly concerned with external appearance while introverts are more concerned with the underlying reality.
That is not a weakness.
It only seems so because our society is geared toward extroverts.

Extraversion and introversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The trait of extraversion–introversion is a central dimension of human personality theories. The terms introversion and extraversion were first popularized by Carl Jung,[1] although both the popular understanding and psychological usage differ from his original intent. Extraversion tends to be manifested in outgoing, talkative, energetic behavior, whereas introversion is manifested in more reserved and solitary behavior

Jung defined introversion as an "attitude-type characterised by orientation in life through subjective psychic contents" (focus on one's inner psychic activity); and extraversion as "an attitude type characterised by concentration of interest on the external object", (the outside world).
Extraverts are mainly concerned with external appearance while introverts are more concerned with the underlying reality.

Extroverts are energized by crowds. Introverts worry that crowds will judge them by their appearance and therefore become drained of energy

Old 07-09-2013, 11:10 AM

With me, it depends on the crowd…

I like smaller groups with people that I like.

Maybe it's growing up in the rural Deep South...

I'm not sure…

Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,219,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
With me, it depends on the crowd…

I like smaller groups with people that I like.

Maybe it's growing up in the rural Deep South...

I'm not sure…
It's true that the kind of crowd matters a lot.

A bunch of 'normal' people who think reality tv is creative make me want to vanish instantly. People who are in general stuck on 'normal' as being the way it should be I will not 'join' with. But give me my kind of people, especially people who are or should be science fiction fans/Sca types, who love using the imagination and I can be hightly social.

But if the 'crowd' is boring I'm gone. Give me a room full of people who can fully engage the imagination and all the possibilites and its my version of heaven. These are people I have to seek out and find and meet with intentionally since its usually at conventions.

But still, I find after I'm home even though they are me, I need absolute aloneness for a while since even so they are depleating in delay.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
It's true that the kind of crowd matters a lot.

A bunch of 'normal' people who think reality tv is creative make me want to vanish instantly. People who are in general stuck on 'normal' as being the way it should be I will not 'join' with. But give me my kind of people, especially people who are or should be science fiction fans/Sca types, who love using the imagination and I can be hightly social.

But if the 'crowd' is boring I'm gone. Give me a room full of people who can fully engage the imagination and all the possibilites and its my version of heaven. These are people I have to seek out and find and meet with intentionally since its usually at conventions.

But still, I find after I'm home even though they are me, I need absolute aloneness for a while since even so they are depleating in delay.
I can relate to this. Boring people are often times more draining than extended time alone. I'll stay warm, friendly, and polite…but soon I'll be gone to write some Sci-Fi.

If I need to compose my thoughts, I like to spend time in the garden.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:09 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,240,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
So I'm real big on self improvement and figuring out where my weaknesses are. My last girlfriend asked me what I disliked most about myself, and I told her it was that I am an introvert. She couldn't believe it. So for those who don't know, ISTJ stands for "Introverted, Sensing, Thinking, and Judgement". So as an introvert who has always been shy, combined with depression, I believe this is an extreme weakness. Also, my "T" score is very high, meaning I overanalyze everything and get stuck in my head. The result is no risk taking, whether its cold calling potential employers or asking women out. I hesitate all the time because I want to say the "right" thing. I feel like I've just missed so many opportunities in life just because of my personality. I've tried to change it so much because I feel flawed. It hasn't worked though. I'm slightly less introverted, but its been a constant battle. Would love to hear others experiences and what has worked or hasn't.

I just did a Meyer Briggs test and it said I'm a ISTP.
It told me some best suited careers would be- Mechanical Repair/Automotive Repair, Computer Repair, Electronics Technician. I did want their opinion on careers.
Did your's tell you best suited careers for you? If so what did they say?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 PM

11,006 posts, read 8,539,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post

Extroverts are energized by crowds. Introverts worry that crowds will judge them by their appearance and therefore become drained of energy
Concerns with appearance have nothing to do with introversion or extraversion.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 PM

11,006 posts, read 8,539,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I just did a Meyer Briggs test and it said I'm a ISTP.
It told me some best suited careers would be- Mechanical Repair/Automotive Repair, Computer Repair, Electronics Technician. I did want their opinion on careers.
Did your's tell you best suited careers for you? If so what did they say?
My husband is a classic ISTP and was extremely successful as a high-level executive in a 35+ year career with a major corporation. Despite the "I" in his label, he especially excelled in customer relations and supervisory skills.
At home he's always been a whiz when it comes to gardening, home & auto repairs, etc., but a total dud when it comes to computers and electronics. At home, we nurtured his "I" tendencies and allowed him to recharge by generally avoiding social events requiring interaction with others.

If you feel naturally inclined toward the careers advised by some internet site, go for it. But don't let them dictate to you.

edit: whoops, my bad, DH is an ISTJ, which is different. Still I stand by advice.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:06 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,240,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
If you feel naturally inclined toward the careers advised by some internet site, go for it. But don't let them dictate to you.
Thanks.
I was curious as to what careers they would advise for me as I am not really sure what career fields would suit me best but I do know I need to start working on something. Although it is funny that they mentioned careers in the IT field as I have thought working with computers might be a good career field for me- as I am good with computers, people have told me that too. I think alot of quiet/introverted people work in the IT field too and have been successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or