U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 05:12 PM

27,068 posts, read 26,297,871 times

Advertisements

it was time, after smoking most of my life, I finally decided to quit...despite all those people against smokers, which only made me want to smoke more...it was my decission to do so....my choice...

so, I knew it was going to be tough, but never realized....

I started with the first kit from Chantix, and really didn't expect much. First week I took the pill, you continue to smoke, and I thought, yeah right?

The second week, I remember driving home from work, lighting up, and the horrible taste that followed was enough to make me throw the rest of the cigerette away, and that is how it went for me...

there were two days that were bad...went thru withdrawl...bad....sweats...sick to my stomach...thought I had the flu....

I was moody, and ugly a lot of times....and I still dream of having a cigerette...but it's been 5 months, and I can actually taste that stale smoke leaving my lungs.....and in my mouth.

It is difficult, to say the least, but if you've been contemplating quitting...then try Chantix, it did work for me.

And to all of you, who constantly tell people, you gotta quit, it's bad for you...yeah, we know it's bad, but the more you try and tell someone to do something, the less they want to do it...so, actually what your doing, is trying to control someone else's rights. Don't do that to people. We all have our vices...yanno?

Now, when I walk up to someone who has just come back from the smoke shack, I cannot believe I smelled like that....whew....to me now, even though I never smoked in my house...wow, it stinks....but I promise and vow, to never become one of those people who says...
"You really need to quit"

Anyway, if your thinking of quiting, Chantix might be good for you.

I never finished the first kit...I'm not really into taking pills but this really attacks the craving part of the brain and helps a lot.

the only side effects I experienced was crazy/funny dreams....nothing else

If you'd like to ask questions...please do...

Hugs
Creme
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 08:48 AM

5,978 posts, read 18,323,093 times
Heard a lot of good things from Chanti from long time smokers who wanted to quit. I'll try it as soon as 1)I get my new insurance card and 2)I finished my radiation therapy sessions for breast cancer.

The "stop smoking" mantra I agree is one sure way to reinforce a smoker's habit.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Heard a lot of good things from Chanti from long time smokers who wanted to quit. I'll try it as soon as 1)I get my new insurance card and 2)I finished my radiation therapy sessions for breast cancer.

The "stop smoking" mantra I agree is one sure way to reinforce a smoker's habit.

I'd like to share a story....I was sitting at work the other day and two girls walked down the hall past my cube. One said to the other..."Did you know so and so smokes". The other said in astonishment..."What, she smokes...OMG" I laughed out loud, but....that, is a shallow perspective of smokers, especially when so many alcoholics and drug addicks are alive and well in this country. I don't get the logic? Smokers are not some low life that crawled out from under a rock, yanno...they're people....good people, hard workers and upstanding citizens.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:19 AM

2,387 posts, read 5,586,159 times
Read this in the news about Chantix. It would be something to watch out for while taking the drug.

Anti-smoking drug may be tied to suicide risks - Addictions - MSNBC.com

Old 02-13-2008, 01:11 PM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 804,164 times
Thanks for sharing your success Cremebrulee and congratulations! Hubby and I both smoke, but lately have been thinking that it is time to quit. I will have to look into the Chantrix deal. Had you tried other methods before, or was this the first time?

Old 02-13-2008, 01:15 PM

54 posts, read 318,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
it was time, after smoking most of my life, I finally decided to quit...despite all those people against smokers, which only made me want to smoke more...it was my decission to do so....my choice...

so, I knew it was going to be tough, but never realized....

I started with the first kit from Chantix, and really didn't expect much. First week I took the pill, you continue to smoke, and I thought, yeah right?

The second week, I remember driving home from work, lighting up, and the horrible taste that followed was enough to make me throw the rest of the cigerette away, and that is how it went for me...

there were two days that were bad...went thru withdrawl...bad....sweats...sick to my stomach...thought I had the flu....

I was moody, and ugly a lot of times....and I still dream of having a cigerette...but it's been 5 months, and I can actually taste that stale smoke leaving my lungs.....and in my mouth.

It is difficult, to say the least, but if you've been contemplating quitting...then try Chantix, it did work for me.

And to all of you, who constantly tell people, you gotta quit, it's bad for you...yeah, we know it's bad, but the more you try and tell someone to do something, the less they want to do it...so, actually what your doing, is trying to control someone else's rights. Don't do that to people. We all have our vices...yanno?

Now, when I walk up to someone who has just come back from the smoke shack, I cannot believe I smelled like that....whew....to me now, even though I never smoked in my house...wow, it stinks....but I promise and vow, to never become one of those people who says...
"You really need to quit"

Anyway, if your thinking of quiting, Chantix might be good for you.

I never finished the first kit...I'm not really into taking pills but this really attacks the craving part of the brain and helps a lot.

the only side effects I experienced was crazy/funny dreams....nothing else

If you'd like to ask questions...please do...

Creme
iam smoker but i cant quit tell me more

Old 02-13-2008, 02:04 PM

621 posts, read 3,020,843 times
Hi All,

I thought I would chime in on this topic. I quit smoking 3 months ago. I used the patch and Zyban (wellbutrin). I would caution people about using Chantix. I have heard great success stories and I know it can work. The only problem I have is that it was only approved by the FDA I believe in 2006. I used the other things, because I didn't want to be Pfizers test subject. There is no long standing study about this drug. I remember when Vioxx was the new big pain reliever. Now, it has been recalled for many different reasons only a few short years later. I only took the wellbutrin for about 3 weeks (I'm horrible about taking medicine) and then continued with the patch. The patch worked well for me, because I could actually feel when I was getting the nicotine. Don't get me wrong, you definitely have to want to quit. It won't happen if you do it for someone else.

I still get cravings, but I just remember it's easier to get through the craving then having to re-quit all over again. There's a saying never take another puff. It's so true. You think oh I can have just one, but would you give a recovering heroin addict or alcholic a hit or a drink, I think not.

Good luck to all those who are thinking of quitting and stay strong to all my fellow quitters!

Old 02-13-2008, 02:11 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,711,573 times
Some good arguments on both sides of the Chantix debate. I know a few people who have used it with great success... but I can also see the point about it being a new drug.

I guess you have to decide which risk is bigger... I tried to quite before using the gum. Ugh. I would forget that it was nicotine gum and you're only supposed to chew it a few times and "park" it. Well, I'd end up chewing the crap outta that gum, until I felt nauseous and heartbearny. I need to quit... I just had a birthday and realized I've now been a smoker for more than half my life.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,632 times
Thumbs up Chantix was a miracle for me!

Hi everyone, saw this thread and thought I'd share my experience so far with Chantix. I've been taking it for 24 days.

For me, this has been a miracle drug! I was never a heavy smoker, maybe smoked 10 a day unless I was really stressed or bored, but I was a consistent one--I smoked for over 35 years. I had been able to quit before for only about a week at best--then the cravings would be unbearable and I'd give in again. Because the cravings were so strong, it was hard for me to remember the reasons that I wanted to quit in the first place--all I could think about was getting ahold of a cigarette...you know the drill. Anyway, I decided that I was sick of my throat always being sore, my clothes smelling of cigarette smoke, and my being short of breath after doing little or nothing, so I asked my doctor for a prescription for Chantix.

The first week you are on it, you take 1 pill for the first 3 days, and then 2 a day for the next 4 days. I guess this allows the drug to build up in your system. After the first week, you're supposed to take 2 pills a day, in the morning and the evening. You can continue smoking during that first week, which of course I did, but I made up my mind that I would quit on the 8th day, as recommended. Once I started taking the pills, I didn't experience the vivid/disturbing dreams that others have, but I do feel a little queasy if I don't take the pills with food (which is also recommended) , so I wouldn't suggest taking Chantix on an empty stomach. I've also had some bouts of insomnia, but I had that before from time to time, so I don't know if the Chantix is causing that or not. What I do know is that although I had cravings (and still do, occasionally--guess that will last for a while), they were completely manageable, and in fact, I became pretty nonchalant about the whole idea of smoking. I'd get a craving, think "Boy, I'd really like a cigarette right now"...then I'd think "wanna run to the store and get some? Nah, not really". And that was it! No mood swings, no restlessness, no drama! Amazing!! Before Chantix, if I ran out of cigarettes, I'd make frantic midnight runs to the local convenience store to get just one more cigarette in before I went to bed or I'd be snapping out at everyone around me because I was so irritable.

So, while I recognize that everyone might not be able to tolerate Chantix, I would recommend at least trying it for those who don't have a medical condition that would rule it out, if other methods haven't worked. I don't believe I'll ever smoke again, which is truly a blessing! I plan to keep taking it for the full 12 weeks--just wish I'd tried it sooner!

Blissfully smokefree after 17 days, 12 hours, 40 minutes!

Dee

Old 02-29-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthespirit View Post
Hi everyone, saw this thread and thought I'd share my experience so far with Chantix. I've been taking it for 24 days.

For me, this has been a miracle drug! I was never a heavy smoker, maybe smoked 10 a day unless I was really stressed or bored, but I was a consistent one--I smoked for over 35 years. I had been able to quit before for only about a week at best--then the cravings would be unbearable and I'd give in again. Because the cravings were so strong, it was hard for me to remember the reasons that I wanted to quit in the first place--all I could think about was getting ahold of a cigarette...you know the drill. Anyway, I decided that I was sick of my throat always being sore, my clothes smelling of cigarette smoke, and my being short of breath after doing little or nothing, so I asked my doctor for a prescription for Chantix.

The first week you are on it, you take 1 pill for the first 3 days, and then 2 a day for the next 4 days. I guess this allows the drug to build up in your system. After the first week, you're supposed to take 2 pills a day, in the morning and the evening. You can continue smoking during that first week, which of course I did, but I made up my mind that I would quit on the 8th day, as recommended. Once I started taking the pills, I didn't experience the vivid/disturbing dreams that others have, but I do feel a little queasy if I don't take the pills with food (which is also recommended) , so I wouldn't suggest taking Chantix on an empty stomach. I've also had some bouts of insomnia, but I had that before from time to time, so I don't know if the Chantix is causing that or not. What I do know is that although I had cravings (and still do, occasionally--guess that will last for a while), they were completely manageable, and in fact, I became pretty nonchalant about the whole idea of smoking. I'd get a craving, think "Boy, I'd really like a cigarette right now"...then I'd think "wanna run to the store and get some? Nah, not really". And that was it! No mood swings, no restlessness, no drama! Amazing!! Before Chantix, if I ran out of cigarettes, I'd make frantic midnight runs to the local convenience store to get just one more cigarette in before I went to bed or I'd be snapping out at everyone around me because I was so irritable.

So, while I recognize that everyone might not be able to tolerate Chantix, I would recommend at least trying it for those who don't have a medical condition that would rule it out, if other methods haven't worked. I don't believe I'll ever smoke again, which is truly a blessing! I plan to keep taking it for the full 12 weeks--just wish I'd tried it sooner!

Blissfully smokefree after 17 days, 12 hours, 40 minutes!

Dee
Dee, good luck, keep up the good work!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health