U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Energized or not by days when it's dark and rainy outside?
Yes! I love dreary, dark rainy days! 29 82.86%
No! I hate dreary dark rainy days! 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,102,284 times

Advertisements

Yeppers, I dig overcast, cooler and showery, even rainy days as long as flash flooding isn't involved. Always have! Grew up in Austin and San Antonio and with the heat often there, YES...I can get more done in cooler weather. I do get happy feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Status: "Practice random acts of kindness and goodwill." (set 2 days ago)

19,583 posts, read 24,522,771 times
In the summer I like a break from the relentless sun, and I do enjoy a rainy day, especially a thunder storm.
This is strange because I've been diagnosed with SAD.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:47 PM

21,323 posts, read 37,244,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
In the summer I like a break from the relentless sun, and I do enjoy a rainy day, especially a thunder storm.
This is strange because I've been diagnosed with SAD.
Do you think the SAD is magnified due to cloudy days without snow cover in winter? I've found that overall brightness levels are magnified during sunny winter days with snow on the ground further north, whereas further south rain/clouds would be locked in.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:10 AM

18,595 posts, read 22,420,884 times
My excuse for leaving MN was the cloud cover, particuarly depressing in winter, which I blamed on my depressions. Now I'm in the land of 300 days of sunshine, and I still have unavoidable depressions!

But, on the few days it does cloud up here, if I'm depressed, I get more depressed!

I don't mind a cloudy day, now and then, in winter, but I can't say it ever energizes me!

Old 08-23-2013, 12:30 PM

2,637 posts, read 2,753,767 times
In summer, I like rain because it weakens the heat and brings cool, refreshing, clean air.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:40 PM

10,706 posts, read 5,198,377 times
I dislike dark rainy days because if I go out I have to carry an umbrella, and I still get wet anyway-
and if I stay home, I have to turn on the lights all day, and I don't like how that looks (much prefer natural light).

Old 08-25-2013, 03:05 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,922,034 times
I LOVE overcast weather. It is my favorite kind. Just thinking about it makes me happy; actually being in it makes me feel so upbeat and refreshed I could almost break out into song. There is a kind of quiet solitude about such days, especially when it's cool and there is just the right amount of drizzle. It's like the world itself is showing its introverted side. I find it to be very restorative. Such weather is actually one of the primary reasons I moved to western Oregon. They also make for excellent photography, especially black and white photography.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:15 PM

12,478 posts, read 15,460,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
I LOVE overcast weather. It is my favorite kind. Just thinking about it makes me happy; actually being in it makes me feel so upbeat and refreshed I could almost break out into song. There is a kind of quiet solitude about such days, especially when it's cool and there is just the right amount of drizzle. It's like the world itself is showing its introverted side. I find it to be very restorative. Such weather is actually one of the primary reasons I moved to western Oregon. They also make for excellent photography, especially black and white photography.

ah.....isn't today just great??? I'm not far from Wilsonville. Loving the weather today. The pics are great!!!

Old 08-25-2013, 03:17 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,922,034 times
Thanks. Yeah, today has been mostly great. A few sun breaks but nothing too searing.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:25 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,522,998 times
I love overcast weather, too. It has more ... character, I guess. It's easier for me to be content in cloudy weather. I don't know why. Maybe because it reminds me that life has "clouds" - and to find the simple pleasures in spite of the "clouds". Those pleasures are worth the effort of finding.

The sun usually depresses me. It's too hot and draining. My sunblock works, though. I'm approaching my mid-50s and look like I'm a well-maintained 40 (especially with contact lenses).

So, everyone, use that sunblock year-round (even on cloudy days). Protect your skin.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or