Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:06 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times

Advertisements

I'll add 2 cents. LOL

I think, like my g/f, that if you/she misses dose of antidepressant she 'feels' it, so she says. Every doc we know says 'No way' does it titrate this fast either way. Look, it takes wks to buildup in the body when 1st starting them, thus it takes time to clear out too. I do think psychologically, yes, you're hooked. But physiologically, no as this is the doc's claim. Either way it's a pain.

My advice (take what it is worth) is taper if you can w/ doc's monitoring, if you/I needed to drop off them. I've been offered them for anxiety/depression, but have begun coffee again & this checks/balances a bit (for now, we'll see in awhile) my ups & downs w/ ativan PRN as needed (not more than 1x or 2x/wk if I can help it, as I HATE addiction to anything let alone psych meds. I use a daily couple red wines to nullify anxiety but I stop @ 2-3 glass, if I'm not calming from them. At least some heart help from wine but...zero - other than slower calmer heartbeat, etc. - from benzo's). I know mental health is tricky. I'm so lost in me often I can't see others.

But hang in there & no matter the buzzword/label affixed to your condition just do best you can to deal w/ it. Again, always use the doc as advice & if needed, go to another to corroborate the treatment plan. My g/f has seen various MD's in psych, & still has issues w/ meds & changing from time to time. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 05:07 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
It is an addiction and that is why you have to be weaned off of it. You can call it anything that you want but when you have to have it or suffer withdrawal, you have an addiction! I can't imagine what would happen in a major disaster where these addictive medications would not be available - make sure you have an emergency supply and understand how to go through withdrawal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health