U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:48 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,725,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Yes, when I was getting any REM sleep I had delirium. It was diagnosed as something else, but then I had a sleep study and they found out that I had NO REM sleep and was chronically sleep deprived.

It's really important to get her to a doctor to find out exactly what is the cause. That way they can possibly fix it.
I meant to say "was NOT", but I can't go back and edit an old post. I was not getting REM sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM

746 posts, read 1,440,529 times
You need to take a good hard look at her diet. Is she eating a lot of packaged, bottled or canned food?
Read this: Alzheimer's disease with MSG

Also take time to explore that site. Lots of interesting stuff.

Also this: MSG may cause diabetes, Autism, Migraines, ADHD, Alzheimer's, and Obesity

Simply being old is NOT the reason for this happening.
ALL degenerative diseases have their Root Cause in diet.

What are the main causes of disease

Old 06-28-2012, 04:06 AM

9,971 posts, read 17,884,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
By definition, delirium is a temporary, and generally reversible condition. The symptoms can mimic dementia, but they tend to go away when the cause of the delirium (e.g. drug overdose or drug reaction) is no longer present. If the symptoms are present over an extended period of time, dementia is a more likely diagnosis.
Or the patient dies, as with cancer. I think mom had dementia and with delirium on top of it, but the dementia would still have been fairly mild w/o the delirium and we were noticing some very concerning things. I had to drive her a long distance once last fall (she died in Jan) and this was 3 months before we were aware of the cancer. At one point she tried to jump out of the car onto the highway b/c she was tired of being in it! 15 minutes later she was back to normal. Also on the same trip she started to think there were ladies in the back seat and got bent out of shape when they didn't say goodbye (after all we had done for them!) And she kept thinking she was back in the country but that they had moved huge chunks of the town she was living in down to the country. That is delirium--the dementia was more like losing her car keys and purse all the time, not being able to get started on a new project, or being paranoid that relatives were trying to steal from her, which was her earliest symptom. But then who knows how long she had the cancer--it probably started in the colon and those can be slow growing. She had the dementia symptoms for maybe 15 years before she dropped off, but I'm thinking now that the drop-off was due to delirium. Also, the dementia is more of a constant and the delirium would hit at odd times and manifest in very weird ways. But then with the symptoms mom had, the doc was about ready to dx Lewy bodies, so docs really are almost as confused by all this as we are.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:29 AM

224 posts, read 725,610 times
I've heard this before and just read a comment here about it...how do people die of dementia? I thought it was basically just a problem within the mind so how can it kill aside from the obvious of causing someone to get in an accident or else wander off and put themselves in danger.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 PM

7,329 posts, read 13,821,390 times
As time goes on, the brain progresses from forgetting things, to not being able to function in any way, including regulating the processes of the body that keep it alive.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 PM

9,971 posts, read 17,884,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
As time goes on, the brain progresses from forgetting things, to not being able to function in any way, including regulating the processes of the body that keep it alive.
Yes, organ systems shut down.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:39 PM

15,849 posts, read 31,196,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Im trying to determine which my 83 year old Mother has . She is progressing with an inability to remember short term events/things said/name of her Bank/recent details, etc... plus she cannot retain knowledge from reading a book just hours prior , and overall, her Mind is dull and often confused about common sense things .

Thanks.
Losing some mental ability with age is normal. There are many good natural supplements on the market that will help with this. Often prescription drugs end up having serious side effects that could result in complications. I would certainly pursue a natural treatment first.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-29-2012, 07:17 PM

224 posts, read 725,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes, organ systems shut down.

Wow I had never heard that before. Thanks to both of you for sharing this info. I am very concerned about my elderly father as he seems to be having some sort of problem. Its somewhat subtle right now so its hard to say.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:44 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,552,138 times
When my dad was 90, I knew he was somewhat senile. I knew it because he asked me how to tell when PM began and AM ended. He thought maybe it was 6pm and 6am. He wrote it down when I told him the answer. He lived to 97 and never lost his facial expression until 4 days prior to death, so he didn't have anything but old age senility. He'd been a very intelligent man with a master's degree. He never lost his ability to care for himself. Mother didn't believe anything was wrong with him. She thought he was just stubborn. She also lived to 97 and seemed to have most of her wits, but was occasionally a little hazy... which was fine with me.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:01 PM

2,288 posts, read 2,717,994 times
I don't know if this is true, but I was told by my moms dr. that Alzheimer's couldn't truly be diagnosed until an autopsy was performed. So take that with a grain of salt.

When my mom seemed to get even worse, with forgetting things, even to the point of where her bedroom was, we found out she'd had a small stroke. So be on the lookout for that also. Good luck to all that have a loved one going through these horrid diseases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health