Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:32 AM

130 posts, read 560,175 times

Advertisements

Has anybody else had success with coconut oil as a therapy? While doing research, I came across Dr. Mary Newport's site coconutketones.com and her story about her husband. Figuring we had nothing to lose, we started my mom on coconut oil back in November and in February her cognitive function test went from 12/30 to 21/30 and she improved from just being able to follow a 1 step direction to 3 steps. It doesn't work for everyone, but I just wanted to share my experience and hopefully, someone else can benefit too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 PM

527 posts, read 1,019,989 times
Very Interesting- I will be trying some for my mom- its definitely worth a try and very harmless compared to alternatives. Thanks

Old 05-17-2011, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 8,689 times
My husband was not doing anything for himself anymore, but I heard about the coconut oil and gave him some. That was in December 2010. He is now doing everything for himself again and is completely well. We are taking a long trip on Thursday and he will be doing most of the driving.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:59 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,649 times
I use coconut oil for everything and I think it is some kind of miracle..I use it for lotion, cream, toothpaste....I use it in my hair, in fruit and veggie smoothies. You can just have a spoon of it in the AM. You can use it as butter on bread. Use it in cooked food instead of another kind of oil. Use it in salad dressing emulsions. The uses are endless. I am not sure of the science behind it, but it is amazing stuff. Also, get some of the white young coconuts and drink the coconut milk. I blend the coconut water with the pulp and make my own milk. It's great stuff and relatively cheap.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:19 PM

469 posts, read 1,328,351 times
Interesting! I'm a mother of 3 always interested in the healing power of foods! I have began drinking coconut milk and I am beginning to transition my children from cows milk to other "milk" alternatives. Starting coconut oil regimine may have positive effects on health andwell-being in the long run!

Old 06-04-2011, 12:29 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,775 times
I drink a spoonful of Coconut oil in the morning and it helps to stave off fever blisters. It seems to have an anti-viral property. I heard about someone with AIDS actually getting better by using it as well. I am frighten though of using it as it kills natural enzymes found in your digestive track. If you ever get off the oil, be careful. It will kill your body's yeast, and keep you yeast infection free but, when you get off, the natural enzymes your body has to keep yeast in control is gone and you can get a yeast overload - mine got so bad it was in my sinus cavities in my forehead - oh it was awful. So, I got right back on the oil.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:14 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times
These stories are intriguing. Is anyone aware of any research on the possible benefits of Coconut oil in Alzheimer's treatment. Perhaps this is warranted, if it has not been researched already.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 8,689 times
Yes there has been some research but they can't get the funding they need to keep it going because it won't make the drug companies rich. Check DR. Newport.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:38 AM

21 posts, read 39,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateb411 View Post
Has anybody else had success with coconut oil as a therapy? While doing research, I came across Dr. Mary Newport's site coconutketones.com and her story about her husband. Figuring we had nothing to lose, we started my mom on coconut oil back in November and in February her cognitive function test went from 12/30 to 21/30 and she improved from just being able to follow a 1 step direction to 3 steps. It doesn't work for everyone, but I just wanted to share my experience and hopefully, someone else can benefit too.
I also have a loved one with Alzheimer's. She has greatly improved with the use of amino acid taurine and we will certainly add coconut oil to her diet. I will try it myself. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
I drink a spoonful of Coconut oil in the morning and it helps to stave off fever blisters. It seems to have an anti-viral property. I heard about someone with AIDS actually getting better by using it as well. I am frighten though of using it as it kills natural enzymes found in your digestive track. If you ever get off the oil, be careful. It will kill your body's yeast, and keep you yeast infection free but, when you get off, the natural enzymes your body has to keep yeast in control is gone and you can get a yeast overload - mine got so bad it was in my sinus cavities in my forehead - oh it was awful. So, I got right back on the oil.
Since I'm going to try it, thanks for the sinus experience. That is good to know since mine seem to get clogged for no reason whatsoever.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Wow! What encouraging news for those who have Alzheimer's and for family members. It's a horrible and heartbreaking disease.

I use coconut oil and really like it. After reading about the different oils, I choose CO over other types.

Last edited by JGC97; 06-15-2011 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health